Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to kill printer PIDs except the spooler PID? Post 303024922 by djflu on Friday 19th of October 2018 10:53:30 AM
Old 10-19-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I can follow your specification, as it sometimes seems to

- contradict your sample code / output (e.g. "no kills the spooler PPID "11814"" - are you talking of the process ID or the parent pr. ID?)
- refer to data NOT in the sample: 72:00:00
- use non-existent options (-e to pgrep; not found for pgrep on linux nor FreeBSD, only for pkill)

SHOULD you want to kill the processes that are childs to the lp root / parent process identified by PPID = 1, try

Code:
ps -eaf | awk 'BEGIN {printf "kill "} /lpsched$/ && $3 > 1 {printf "%s ", $2} END {printf ORS}' 
kill 22948 19332 29793 18598 26198 24981 13996 5802 24510 4585 26585 25739

If happy with the result, pipe the output through a shell (append | sh), or source it using "process substitution".
Yes, I want to kill all lpsched process older than 72h and excepting the spooler id (column 3 -11814).

I can try this option and I will let you know, but it doesn't filter by date (older than 72h).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printer status for print spooler: help

Hey people I am currently working on a print spooler for unix over a network. I need help regarding the status of the printer. Is there any way to know when the printer has finished a previous job, so that the next job from the queue can be processed. Also is there any other way to print other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rage
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

KILL without PID

Hellow Experts i have one problem. i run one script in backgroun. and i want to kill that script with only script name..... so what's the solution.. for your info my script name is "testscript" n it contains "sleep 100" thanks.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckypower
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

When kill [pid] does not work...

Hi, On my Linux machine, using Bash, I sometimes run into a situation where doing the following does not seem to work at all. kermit@fastbox ~ $ ps -A | grep firefox-bin 5375 ? 00:06:57 firefox-bin <defunct> 5624 ? 00:00:00 firefox-bin kermit@fastbox ~ $ kill 5624... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kermit
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Track and kill the PIDS

I have a script that conducts some SSH calls and I would like to capture the child info so that I can do a sleep and then a cleanup to make sure they do not stay out there as ghosts. I was told I could do something like this... #!/bin/sh for m = job1, job2, job3 x=1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a PID using script

Hi, I wrote a script to kill a process id. I am able to kill the PID only if I enter the root password in the middle of the execution because I did not run as root i.e after i run the script from the terminal, instead of killing directly, it is killing only after entering the pass when it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkumarme_1
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to kill pids

Hi there !!! I am writing a script to kill the pids on different linux boxes :cool: the output of my command gives the pids running on that box, but how can I kill all the pids without looping? :confused: Code: ssh $i ps -fu $USER | grep ManServer | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | kill ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prany_cool
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill PID with one liner

Hello Friends, I've been trying to write a one line which checks java processes and filter them for a user (testuser) and then check process arguments with PARGS command and then check if there is certain patterns exists in pargs output then kill the process. I have tried the following so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
2 Replies

9. Proxy Server

Samba kill the locked files from a useraccount by multiple smbd pids

Details Samba server: Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc Hardware provider: Sun_Microsystems Kernel version: SunOS 5.10 Generic_142909-17 Samba version: Samba version 3.5.6 Smb.conf file section Global: # smb.conf for Airbus Industries fuer... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jean-Guillaume
0 Replies

10. AIX

Kill pid

I created a program to kill long running pid processes. I am getting the following error message: -f command cannot be found. I also want to count the number of pids that are killed and append the results to a text file. I am new to shell script programming. 1.The first part of code... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
10 Replies
PGREP(1)							Linux User's Manual							  PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-cflvx] [-d delimiter] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pat- tern] pkill [-signal] [-fvx] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri- teria have to match. For example, $ pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, $ pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-c Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. -d delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -l List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v Negates the matching. -x Only match processes whose name (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: $ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: $ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: $ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: $ renice +4 `pgrep netscape` EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1), regex(7), signal(7), killall(1), skill(1), kill(1), kill(2) STANDARDS
pkill and pgrep were introduced in Sun's Solaris 7. This implementation is fully compatible. AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> is the current maintainer of the procps package. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux October 5, 2007 PGREP(1)