Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cp modification
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers cp modification Post 303024489 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 9th of October 2018 03:54:47 PM
Old 10-09-2018
With any standard version of the cp utility, the command:
Code:
cp file1 file2 file3 /destination/directory

will copy files file1, file2, and file3 from your current working directory into files named /destination/directory/file1, /destination/directory/file2, and /destination/directory/file3.

What makes you think you need to modify the cp utility to get this standard behavior?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

ifconfig modification

Hi all,,i have problem with my homework form my lecture.. He is give me a homework to create: ifconfig eth0 0.255.255.255 1.1.168.192 my lecture says, i can making the shell scripting to finish my homework.. i have question, can setting ifconfig like in the upper? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: demhyt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a modification on this script

Hi All I have files contains rows which look like this: 2 20090721_16:58:47.173 JSUD2 JD1M1 20 IAM 966591835270 249918113182 b 3610 ACM b 3614 ACM b 3713 CPG b 3717 CPG f 5799 REL b 5815 RLC b 5817 RLC :COMMA: NCI=00,FCI=6101,CPC=0A,TMR=00,OFI=00,USI: :COMMB: BCI=1234: :RELCAUSE:10: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zanetti321
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.bash_history modification

Hi Experts, I know my question would be strange but i need to understand how the .bash_history file is logging user actions (the mechanism) and if possible modify it to include also the date/time of every action done by the user. Sample file: # more .bash_history ssh <IP address> -l axadmin... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with file modification

Hi, I have a file test.txt . The contain of the file is as below : 365798~SAPUS~PR5~0000799005~ADM CHARG MEDCAL INS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SLAC480 I want to modify this file. And file contain loking like "365798"~"SAPUS"~"PR5"~"0000799005"~"ADM CHARG MEDCAL... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for File Modification

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt. cat abcd.txt output is as follows : "aa"~"bb"~"001"~""~""~"cc" "dd"~"005"~"" ~""~"kk"~"aa"~"00 8"~""~""~ I want the output looking like: cat abcd.txt "aa"~"bb"~"001"~""~""~ "cc""dd"~"005"~""~""~ "kk"~"aa"~"008"~""~""~ I have a script. (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for File Modification

Hi All, I have a file disk_space.log. cat disk_space.log 94% / 32% /boot 38% /mnt/data 100% /media/CDROM I want the output, like cat disk_space.log 94% / 100% /media/CDROM That means print the line those are grater-than 90%. And rest of the line is remove from file. I have a... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Modification

Hi, I have a file input.txt. cat input.txt output is as follows : Code: "0001"~"name"~"bb"~"20.25"~""~""~"0002"~"name" "dd"~"35.50"~"" ~""~"0003"~"name"~"aa"~"21.3 5"~""~""~ I want the output looking like: cat output.txt Code: "0001"~"name"~"bb"~"20.25"~""~""~... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help For File modification

Hi, I have a file. File contains are as follows : Feb 19, 2012 5:05:00 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080 Feb 19, 2012 5:05:00 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load INFO: Initialization processed in 771 ms Feb 20, 2012... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk modification

I need help modifying the code below. DATAFILE is a log file. I have two strings i need to search for in the log file. The two strings are: 1. ERROR 2. com.rolander.promotions.client awk 'BEGIN { while((getline < "'${SFILE}'")>0) S FS="\n"; RS="\n" } (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in modification of code

I have below code, i want to run this code, but this below code should run on myblocka myblockb myblockcc myblockxx myblockanything but it will not run on "myblock" for BLOCK in /sys/block/myblock* do echo "100000" > "$BLOCK"/abcd done (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
7 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)