Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash Menu using zenity
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Menu using zenity Post 303024432 by Peasant on Monday 8th of October 2018 02:54:52 PM
Old 10-08-2018
Try uncommenting the following line and change :
Code:
#    *) zenity --error --text="Invalid option, "OK" to request input again" && continue

This way, if any input is given besides the options specified, a while loop will start again.
Or if you just press OK in zenity without selection, error will appear, and upon clicking ok again, the menu will be restarted.

Hope that helps
Regards.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zenity Menu

I have some troubles with zenity and menu. I seach for: MAIN MENU CHOICE 1 "do something" CHOICE 2 "do something 2" CHOICE 3 "do something 3" But then in "do someghing " when i click i want to return to the MAIN MENU So something like: while true; do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu script

I have a main menu quit=n while do clear echo echo "1. General system information" echo "2. Hardware utilisation information" echo "3. File management" echo "4. User information" echo "5. Information on network connectivity" echo "6. Information on processes" echo "Q.Quit" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelFlesh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding a bash menu script

Greetings all, I'm having some trouble writing a menu drive bash script, actually coding the menu part was not difficult however its a problem with a menu option I'm having trouble with. My menu has 5 options, when the user selects the second option, they are then prompted to enter a number from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vitrophyre
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

get chosen value from bash menu

Hi again :) This is just a sample whiptail menu. Works great, but have been trying to get the chosen value into a variable but failing pretty bad...its ther but unsure how to echo it out when needed #! /bin/bash #This is the menu whiptail --title "Menu example" --menu "Choose an... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: olearydc
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple bash script menu

Dear Sir, May I know how do I go about adding the following feature into the script below: When user enter values other than 1,2,3,4, a) Message “Wrong entry !!! Pls select 1,2,3 or 4” is displayed b) The screen is cleared again and the menu is displayed. #!/bin/bash clear var=1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusetrips
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script - Whiptail Menu Help!

Hello, Been trying to build a menu with whiptail lately. However, my code doesn't seems to be working even though when i compared to other similar code they looks the same. #!/bin/bash clear whiptail --msgbox "Entering networking sub-menu" 20 78 whiptail --title Networking --menu... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu opens and closes

Ever since I added these two code blocks to my bash menu it just opens and closes right away. I use a batch file that worked fine until these codes were added and I am not sure what is wrong. Basically, what I am trying to do in the additional section is if the answer is "Y" then it goes back... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
13 Replies

8. Open Source

Bash menu not running

The perl command is not executing? I am trying to run the .pl in my cygwin home directory (C:\cygwin\home\cmccabe) using ${id}.txt.hg19_multianno.txt (located in the annovar directory) as the input file to be formatted and $FILENAME is the output file to be saved. The .pl is attached as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Zenity loop (raspbian)

Hello folks, I have created a GUI but i face some issue with the loop either i am stuck in the loop or it close the program In the code below it work fine for the "go to menu" if i press cancel i go back to the main menu but for "test" i m stuck in the menu Appreciate some help :/... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: flammeur
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash menu item counter

We have a simple menu with prompt of menu numbers to user. It is still under construction. Is there a way to "count" the menu choices so the prompt maximum count can be changed dynamically? See attached TODO note in code read_options(){ local choice # the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
7 Replies
zenity(1)							   User Commands							 zenity(1)

NAME
zenity, gdialog - display simple GNOME dialogs SYNOPSIS
zenity --calendar [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--date-format=format] [--day=number] [--month=number] [--text=text] [--year=number] zenity --entry [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--entry-text=text] [--hide-text] [--text=text] zenity --error | --info | --question | --warning [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--text=text] zenity --file-selection [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--filename=path] [--multiple] [--separa- tor=character] zenity --list --column=text [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--checklist] [--editable] [--radiolist] [--separator=character] zenity --progress [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--auto-close] [--percentage=number] [--pulsate] [--text=text] zenity --text-info [--height=height] [--title=title] [--width=width] [--window-icon=path] [--editable] [--filename=path] zenity --about | --help | --usage | --version | -GTK+_options DESCRIPTION
The Zenity application displays simple GNOME dialogs. You can use Zenity to create scripts that interact graphically with the user. gdia- log(1) has been deprecated and is now a wrapper script around Zenity, and will preserve compatibility with older scripts. OPTIONS
Zenity supports several different types of options. Zenity-Specific Options The following Zenity-specific options are supported: --about Display the About Zenity dialog, which provides information about the Zenity application, including the version number and the author. --version Display the version number of Zenity. Help Options The following help options are supported: --help Display help text. You can also use -? to specify this option. --usage Display brief usage text. GTK+ Options Zenity supports the standard GTK+ options. For more information about the GTK+ options, execute the zenity -? command. Dialog Options The following dialog options are supported: --calendar Display a calendar dialog. --entry Display a text entry dialog. --error Display an error dialog. --file-selection Display a file-selection dialog. --info Display an informational dialog. --list Display a list dialog. --progress Display a progress indication dialog. --question Display a question dialog. --text-info Display a text information dialog. --warning Display a warning dialog. General Dialog Options The following general dialog options are supported: --height=height Set the dialog height. --title=title Set the dialog title. --width=width Set the dialog width. --window-icon=path Set the dialog window icon with a full path to an image. Calendar Dialog Options The following calendar dialog options are supported: --date-format=format Set the date format to return at the command line. The default format depends on your locale. The format must be of strftime style, for example %A %d/%m/%y. --day=number Set the calendar day. --month=number Set the calendar month. --text=text Set the dialog text. --year=number Set the calendar year. Text-Entry Dialog Options The following text-entry dialog options are supported: --entry-text=text Set the dialog entry text. --hide-text Use asterisks to hide the entry text. --text=text Set the dialog text. Error Dialog Options The following error dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. File-Selection Dialog Options The following file-selection dialog options are supported: --filename=path Set the file or directory to select by default. --multiple Allow multiple selections. --separator=character Set the separator character to return at the command line. This option is used only when the dialog allows multi- ple selections. Informational Dialog Options The following informational dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. List Dialog Options The following list dialog options are supported: --checklist Specify that the first column contains check boxes. --column=text Set the text of a column. --editable Specify that the dialog contents are editable. --radiolist Specify that the first column contains radio buttons. --separator=character Set the separator character to return at the command line. This option is used only when the dialog allows multi- ple selections. Progress-Indication Dialog Options The following progress-indication dialog options are supported: --auto-close Close the dialog automatically when 100% has been reached. --percentage=number Set the initial percentage of the progress bar. --pulsate Specify that the progress bar pulsates until an EOF character is read from the command line. --text=text Set the dialog text. Question Dialog Options The following question dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. Text-Informational Dialog Options The following text-informational dialog options are supported: --editable Specify that the dialog contents are editable. --filename=path Set the file to display in the dialog. Warning Dialog Options The following warning dialog options are supported: --text=text Set the dialog text. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching Zenity Using the List Dialog example% zenity --list --title="Choose bugs you wish to view" --text="Select items from the list below." --column="Bug Number" --column="Severity" --column="Description" 992383 Normal "GtkTreeView crashes on multiple selections" 293823 High "GNOME Dictionary does not handle proxy" 393823 Critical "Menu editing does not work in GNOME 2.0" Example 2: Launching Zenity Using the Progress Dialog example% find . -name '*.bk' | zenity --progress --title="Finding backups" --pulsate Example 3: Launching Zenity Using the Text Informational Dialog example% zenity --text-info --title="LGPL License" --filename="/home/user1/LICENSE" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of zenity: ZENITY_OK, DIALOG_OK Set the return value for OK. ZENITY_CANCEL, DIALOG_CANCEL Set the return value for Cancel. ZENITY_ERROR, DIALOG_ERROR Set the return value for Error. ZENITY_ESC, DIALOG_ESC Set the return value for Escape. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: -1 Error 0 OK 1 Cancel, Escape FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/zenity Executable for Zenity. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWzenity | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Zenity Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004. SunOS 5.10 20 Jul 2004 zenity(1)