Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fields in the Output of ls -ltr for a directory Post 303023184 by Scott on Wednesday 12th of September 2018 06:11:49 PM
Old 09-12-2018
I've never really paid much attention, if I'm honest, to what NetApp, or whatever network storage, tells me in terms of the sizes of directories (files (and especially ownership) would be different - for example, the number 4294967295 might indicate that the disk is not correctly assigned). I know if I were to look on the filer that everything is probably OK. What it chooses to report to your (client) OS as being the correct information is being misinterpreted by the OS. It's possible there may be some options when mounting the filesystem, or some software that's tightly couple with the storage technology that can be installed, to get you the right numbers.. but, generally, it's really not something to worry about.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting fields from an output 8-)

I am getting a variable as x=2006/01/18 now I have to extract each field from it. Like x1=2006, x2=01 and x3=18. Any idea how? Thanks a lot for help. Thanks CSaha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get an output by combining fields from two different files

Hi guys, I couldn't find solution to this problem. If anyone knows please help me out. your guidance is highly appretiated. I have two files - FILE1 has the following 7 columns ( - has been added to make columns visible enough else columns are separated by single space) 155.34 - leg - 1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut 2 fields and write to a output file

Hi, I am writing a code where the file is a pipe delimited and I would need to extract the 2nd part of field2 if it is "ATTN", "C/O" or "%" and check to see if field9 is populated or not. If field9 is already populated then leave it as is but if field9 is not populated then take the 2nd part of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Compare files, different fields, output

Hi All, Looking for a quick AWK script to output some differences between two files. FILE1 device1 1.1.1.1 PINGS device1 2.2.2.2 PINGS FILE2 2862 SITE1 device1-prod 1.1.1.1 icmp - 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stacky69
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare diff output by fields

Diff output as follows: < AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 123 > PPP QQQ RRR SSS TTT 111 > VVV WWW XXX YYY ZZZ 333 > AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 124 How can i use awk to compare the last field to determine if the counter has increased, and need to ensure that the first 4 fields must have the same... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 CSV fields from same diff output

Attached is a file called diff.txt It is the output from this command: diff -y --suppress-common-lines --width=5000 1.txt 2.txt > diff.txt I have also attached 1.txt and 2.txt for your convenience. Both 1.txt and 2.txt contain one very long CSV string. File 1.txt is a CSV dump of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get output of fields starting from 2nd line

Hi All, I am using the following command in Linux: sar -r 30 3 Linux 2.6.18-194.3.1.7.3.el5xen 02/07/2013 02:55:47 PM kbmemfree kbmemused %memused kbbuffers kbcached kbswpfree kbswpused %swpused kbswpcad 02:56:17 PM 128646024 22348920 14.80 230232 15575860 75497464 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

What fields we need to consider ntpq -p output?

In our environment we used to lot of events for ntp issues. I am unable to find the what needs to consider here. :( ntpq -p fields. remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ---------- Post updated at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:47 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have two commands “ls -h” and “ls -ltr”. How do i make sure “ls -ltr” is run after “ls -h” is suc

help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match output fields agains two patterns

I need to print field and the next one if field matches 'patternA' and also print 'patternB' fields. echo "some output" | awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i ~ /patternA/){print $i, $(i+1)}elif($i ~ /patternB/){print $i}}}' This code returnes me 'syntax error'. Pls advise how to do properly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
mkdir(1)							   User Commands							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-m mode] [-p] dir... DESCRIPTION
The mkdir command creates the named directories in mode 777 (possibly altered by the file mode creation mask umask(1)). Standard entries in a directory (for instance, the files ".", for the directory itself, and "..", for its parent) are made automatically. mkdir cannot create these entries by name. Creation of a directory requires write permission in the parent directory. The owner-ID and group-ID of the new directories are set to the process's effective user-ID and group-ID, respectively. mkdir calls the mkdir(2) system call. setgid and mkdir To change the setgid bit on a newly created directory, you must use chmod g+s or chmod g-s after executing mkdir. The setgid bit setting is inherited from the parent directory. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -m mode This option allows users to specify the mode to be used for new directories. Choices for modes can be found in chmod(1). -p With this option, mkdir creates dir by creating all the non-existing parent directories first. The mode given to intermedi- ate directories will be the difference between 777 and the bits set in the file mode creation mask. The difference, how- ever, must be at least 300 (write and execute permission for the user). OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: dir A path name of a directory to be created. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkdir when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using mkdir The following example: example% mkdir -p ltr/jd/jan creates the subdirectory structure ltr/jd/jan. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of mkdir: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All the specified directories were created successfully or the -p option was specified and all the specified directories now exist. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
rm(1), sh(1), umask(1), intro(2), mkdir(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 mkdir(1)