Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash 101 - string assigment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash 101 - string assigment Post 303022201 by annacreek on Monday 27th of August 2018 10:59:15 AM
Old 08-27-2018
Very useful suggestion. I believe my "problem" is hacking "inherited" script. Since it is my first bash scrip I just "fix" what I need and most of the time do not spent much time to fully analyze / understand what I am hacking. I am using bash because the script is there and all I need to modify / add few lines of code. I find having coded in C/C++ makes it harder to grasp bash conceptually.

Especially "usage" of "spaces" drives me nuts!

And I really appreciate this forum help, thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison using bash

I have a program to create a directory if not present. Here is the program. FYI: Directory name format: YYYY_MM_DD #!/bin/bash date=`date +%Y_%m_%d` presence=$(ls -lrt /TS_File/ | grep "$date" | awk '{print $9}') if then mkdir /TS_File/$date else echo "Unable to Create... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash string manipulation

In my script I'm retrieving a parameter through an API call. I need to trim some things out of the result so I can use it as a parameter to pass to another process. I've got it working but it's pretty kludgy and I'm hoping someone can help me with a better way. This is the code that retrieves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assigment not works in shell script

Hi, The following assigment is not working within shell script but is working from command line. Could anybody advise why? OS - solaris 8 APPL=`grep "$Application" ldapapps |awk '{print $1}'` echo $APPL (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace a String using Bash

I'm going freakin crazy here! I've tried multiple attempts and configurationa and cannot get this to work. I have a file: private/etc/apt/sources.list.d/cydia.list I want to replace a string in this file: "deb http:name.of.address ./" with "deb http:name.of.other.address ./" The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thazsar
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assignment with variable assigment

Hello All, I'm trying to assign integer values to variables using substitution in both the value and variable's name, i.e., number$x=$x where x is equal to one in the first assignment, two in the second assignment, and so on with x being incremented each time. However, when I do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tombombadil
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Getting first digit of a string

If i'm given a string like "abc-def-1.2.3", how would I return "1"? I'm new to scripting and got stumped on this problem. Thanks in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atsim
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get distinct value in bash between two string

Sorry for my english i am french So i am receiving from a script this prompt : tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME appears tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME bh3vm tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME dev tabular;critical;mirroring;DG INTlocaldg VOLUME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 101 - to (do) ; or not to (do) ; ?

I figured this forum needs some laughs , so I am posting this. And if the answer is - it depends on bash version - do not reply. This is from "manual" while CONTROL-COMMAND; do CONSEQUENT-COMMANDS; done And here is the REAL code - no ";" while do xterm & i=$ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux