Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random letters
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Random letters Post 303022052 by eldeingles on Thursday 23rd of August 2018 06:50:25 AM
Old 08-23-2018
Kudos!

Kudos for you, RudiC!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capital letters GONE!

I have an odd issue. I am trying to copy some files/folders to my linux box via a burned CD which I created on my mac. When I browse the files on the mac (or my windows box), everything looks fine (some of the folder names start with a capital letter, which is needed for everything to work... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blogg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

transposing letters

Hi, I've written a shell function in bash that reads letters into an array, then outputs them in one column with: for n in "${array}"; do echo $n done I was wondering if anyone knew how i would transpose the letters that are output by the for loop. Right now my output is: aabbcc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myscsa2004
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim letters

Hello, I have a list of words.. ranging from 4 to any characters long.. to not more than 20 though. How can I select only first seven letters of the list of words? example:- wwwwwwwwww eeeee wererreetf sdsarddrereewtewt sdsdsds sdsd ereetetttt ewtwertwrttrttrtrtwtrww I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip few letters

Hey guys.. Can experts help me in achieving my purpose.. I have a file which contains email address of some 100 to 1000 domains, I need only the domain names.. Eg: abc@yahoo.com hd@gamil.com ed@hotmail.com The output should contain only Yahoo.com ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add letters

I want to add letters A,B,C,… in front of every line of input while printing them out using PERL. eg A file is parsed as a cmd line arg and its context will be displayed as A line1... B line 2.. I tried this..but I want better and perfect solution! !perl -p my $counter; BEGIN { $counter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Random insertion of letters to password

Hi,, Here i have attached a text file where iam facing problem in my code. Please read the file and help me out of this issue.. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize letters

Hi, Is there a tool somewhat parallel to rev, but which randomizes instead of reverses? I've tried rl, but I can only get it to randomize words. I was hoping for something like this echo "hello" | ran leolh less simpler solutions are also welcome. Sorry if the question is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut only letters?

I was wondering how I could cut only the names of items from the following list: spoons50 cups29 forks50 plates29 I used "man cut" and thought -c would help, but the items have different character lengths. Please note that there is no space between the item and number (so I can't use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
10 Replies
TBL(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TBL(1)

NAME
tbl - format tables for nroff or troff SYNOPSIS
tbl [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tbl is a preprocessor for formatting tables for nroff or troff(1). The input files are copied to the standard output, except for segments of the form .TS options ; format . data .T& format . data . . . .TE which describe tables and are replaced by troff requests to lay out the tables. If no arguments are given, tbl reads the standard input. The (optional) options line is terminated by a semicolon and contains one or more of center center the table; default is left-adjust expand make table as wide as current line length box doublebox enclose the table in a box or double box allbox enclose every item in a box tab(x) use x to separate input items; default is tab linesize(n) set rules in n-point type delim(xy) recognize x and y as eqn(1) delimiters Each line, except the last, of the obligatory format describes one row of the table. The last line describes all rows until the next .T&, where the format changes, or the end of the table at .TE. A format is specified by key letters, one per column, either upper or lower case: L Left justify: the default for columns without format keys. R Right justify. C Center. N Numeric: align at decimal point (inferred for integers) or at S Span: extend previous column across this one. A Alphabetic: left-aligned within column, widest item centered, indented relative to L rows. ^ Vertical span: continue item from previous row into this row. - Draw a horizontal rule in this column. = Draw a double horizontal rule in this column. Key letters may be followed by modifiers, also either case: | Draw vertical rule between columns. || Draw a double vertical rule between columns. n Gap between column is n ens wide. Default is 3. Ffont Use specified font. B and I mean FB and FI. T Begin vertically-spanned item at top row of range; default is vertical centering (with Pn Use point size n. Vn Use n-point vertical spacing in text block; signed n means relative change. W(n) Column width as a troff width specification. Parens are optional if n is a simple integer. E Equalize the widths of all columns marked E. Each line of data becomes one row of the table; tabs separate items. Lines beginning with are troff requests. Certain special data items are recognized: _ Draw a horizontal rule in this column. = Draw a double horizontal rule in this column. A data line consisting of a single or draws the rule across the whole table. \_ Draw a rule only as wide as the contents of the column. Rx Repeat character x across the column. ^ Span the previous item in this column down into this row. T{ The item is a text block to be separately formatted by troff and placed in the table. The block continues to the next line begin- ning with T}. The remainder of the data line follows at that point. When it is used in a pipeline with eqn, the tbl command should be first, to minimize the volume of data passed through pipes. EXAMPLES
Let <tab> represent a tab (which should be typed as a genuine tab). .TS c s s c c s c c c l n n. Household Population Town<tab>Households <tab>Number<tab>Size Bedminster<tab>789<tab>3.26 Bernards Twp.<tab>3087<tab>3.74 Bernardsville<tab>2018<tab>3.30 .TE Household Population Town Households Number Size Bedminster 789 3.26 Bernards Twp. 3087 3.74 Bernardsville 2018 3.30 SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tbl SEE ALSO
troff(1), eqn(1), doctype(1) M. E. Lesk and L. L. Cherry, ``TBL--a Program to Format Tables'', Unix Research System Programmer's Manual, Tenth Edition, Volume 2. TBL(1)