Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Logical Error With Type Conversion In C Post 303021887 by Azrael on Monday 20th of August 2018 12:07:39 AM
Old 08-20-2018
Logical Error With Type Conversion In C

So, I'm into about 650 lines of some code I'm working on. So I'll try to explain instead of flooding this post. Say I have some code like this:

Code:
int main() {
    int i, j;
    char data[INPUT_BUFF];

printf("Gimme something: ");
    fgets(data, INPUT_BUFF, stdin);

for (j = 0; j < data[INPUT_BUFF]; j++){
    switch(data[j]){
    case 0: 
        if(j == 'e'){
            atoi(data);
            data[j] = ranit(e_array);
            sprintf( data, "%d", data );
        }
    case 1: 
        if(j == 'm'){
            atoi(data);
            data[j] = ranit(m_array);
        }
    case 2: 
        if(j == 'n'){
            atoi(data);
            data[j] = ranit(n_array);
        }
    case 3: 
        if(j == 'o'){
            atoi(data);
            data[j] = ranit(o_array);
        }
    case 4: 
        if(j == 'y'){
            atoi(data);
            data[j] = ranit(y_array);
        }

}
     }

for (i = 0; i < INPUT_BUFF; i++){
         printf("%x\n", (int)data[(int)i]);
     }

return 0;
}

I have a switch statement in the above that only checks for the characters in the word 'money'. The entire alphabet would have been too much to put here. The function ranit() grabs a random element out of the array it is past. That function has been checked and works perfect. In the case all the elements are numbers. I've tried to do this a lot of different ways, but what I want to do is after checking for a matching character, replace it with a random element in from the corresponding arrays that contain integers.

I tried using atoi() to make the 'data' character array able to hold integers. That way I wouldn't get an error about mismatching types. At some point I could have sworn itoa worked with gcc, but I now see this is no longer part of the standard library. I tried using sprintf() to convert the data array back to chars for the next iteration of the loop.

When I run the code I notice the random numbers aren't displayed, but the hex equivalents for the ascii values of the word 'money':

Code:
$ ./test 
Gimme something: money
6d
6f
6e

I'm unsure if I'm assigning the values wrong or if sprintf won't allow for the same source and destination values. All the examples I found would put this in a new variable or array name, but I need to have it in the same for the next loop iteration. So maybe I should be using something else?

No warnings or errors from the compiler. Just strictly a logical error at this point. Any suggestions much appreciated.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in creating logical partition

Dear Members, I am using SCO-Unix 5.0.5. I have created 2 logical drives but some of the blocks are overlapped and are now giving warning during startup. I have used fsck to settle the problems but to no avail. Kindly help me to sort out the problem. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendrajaiswal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does KSH support data type conversion?

Hello,everyone here. I'm coding with KSH to achieve exploring the disk space and judging whether it closes to overflow.But It seems that no one way to convert a string variable to integer. df | read A B C D E F G H I J K L print ${L} Can I convert L to integer type? Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error during run: St9bad_alloc - Getting this error while using some conversion progr

Hi all, It will be very useful If you spare some time with me for this worrying error. I am calling a conversion program which is written in C++ for converting a file format to different format. It was working fine for this past 2 yrs. But now it is not working since the file size has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathu_pec
1 Replies

4. AIX

Type of Logical Volume lost after vgexport/gvimport process

Hi, I have the next doubt about of lost of characteristic of LV in my original configuration # lsvg -l ifxvg ifxvg: LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT POINT aw64m_01 jfs 1 1 1 open/syncd N/A aw64m_02 jfs 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cerber0
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I'm getting the following Error: prepare_pcap.c: In function `prepare_pkts': prepare_pcap.c:127: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type prepare_pcap.c:138: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ==================================== This is the part of the relevant... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: katwala
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logical error

I have this script to uvscan-update. Seems like that i am getting logical error at the end of the script. It is updating the script and also giving the error message to update it manually. I have deleted the DAT files to see if it will create new and it does. Below is the error and the script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mk07md
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Military type format date/time conversion

Hello All, I have a requirement to convert a 12 hour format to 24 hour time format and the sample input /out put is below Input Time format : Nov 2 2011 12:16AM Out Put Format : Nov 2 2011 0:16 Input : Nov 2 2011 4:16PM Out Put: Nov 2 2011 16:16 I have done this using a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
6 Replies

8. Programming

type conversion C, atoi()

In the book "The C programming language"; second edition, chapter 2.7 there is a snippet which is supposed to: "convert a string of digits into its numeric equivalent". int atoi(char s) { int i, n; n = 0; for ( i = 0; s >= '0' && s <= '9'; ++i) n = 10 * n + (s -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tornow
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logical if error

Hi All, I am writing a simple script to read a file and display the lines with char count between 20 and 25. I am stuck with the if condition here. Tried a lot but still getting an error on the if condition # if && if && My script is very simple as below, not able to understand... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
7 Replies
JOT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    JOT(1)

NAME
jot -- print sequential or random data SYNOPSIS
jot [-cnr] [-b word] [-p precision] [-s string] [-w word] [reps [begin [end [s]]]] DESCRIPTION
The jot utility is used to print out increasing, decreasing, random, or redundant data (usually numbers) one per line. The following options are available: -b word Just print word repetitively. -c This is an abbreviation for -w %c. -n Do not print the final newline normally appended to the output. -p precision Print only as many digits or characters of the data as indicated by the integer precision. In the absence of -p, the precision is the greater of the precisions of begin and end. The -p option is overridden by whatever appears in a printf(3) conversion following -w. -r Generate random data instead of sequential data, the default. -s string Print data separated by string. Normally, newlines separate data. -w word Print word with the generated data appended to it. Octal, hexadecimal, exponential, ASCII, zero padded, and right-adjusted represen- tations are possible by using the appropriate printf(3) conversion specification inside word, in which case the data are inserted rather than appended. The last four arguments indicate, respectively, the number of data, the lower bound, the upper bound, and the step size or, for random data, the seed. While at least one of them must appear, any of the other three may be omitted, and will be considered as such if given as ``-''. Any three of these arguments determines the fourth. If four are specified and the given and computed values of reps conflict, the lower value is used. If fewer than three are specified, defaults are assigned left to right, except for s, which assumes its default unless both begin and end are given. Defaults for the four arguments are, respectively, 100, 1, 100, and 1, except that when random data are requested, s defaults to a seed depending upon the time of day. reps is expected to be an unsigned integer, and if given as zero is taken to be infinite. begin and end may be given as real numbers or as characters representing the corresponding value in ASCII. The last argument must be a real number. Random numbers are obtained through random(3). The name jot derives in part from iota, a function in APL. EXAMPLES
The command: jot - 42 87 1 prints the integers from 42 to 87, inclusive. The command: jot 21 -1 1.00 prints 21 evenly spaced numbers increasing from -1 to 1. The command: jot -c 128 0 prints the ASCII character set. The command: jot -w xa%c 26 a prints the strings ``xaa'' through ``xaz''. The command: jot -r -c 160 a z | rs -g 0 8 prints 20 random 8-letter strings. The command: jot -b y 0 is equivalent to yes(1). The command: jot -w %ds/old/new/ 30 2 - 5 prints thirty ed(1) substitution commands applying to lines 2, 7, 12, etc. The command: jot 0 9 - -.5 prints the stuttering sequence 9, 8, 8, 7, etc. The command: jot -b x 512 > block creates a file containing exactly 1024 bytes. The command: expand -`jot -s, - 10 132 4` sets tabs four spaces apart starting from column 10 and ending in column 132. The command: grep `jot -s "" -b . 80` prints all lines 80 characters or longer. SEE ALSO
ed(1), expand(1), rs(1), seq(1), yes(1), printf(3), random(3) BSD
January 5, 2010 BSD