Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $LINENO no show
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $LINENO no show Post 303021592 by rovf on Monday 13th of August 2018 07:52:26 AM
Old 08-13-2018
You are right! LINENO also works well outside a function.

As for finding out whether or not you are running bash, there are several ways. First of all, you are running the script, so I would say you know what you are using. There is no magic in this.

Aside from this, you could output the variable BASH_VERSION (which would be empty, unless someone malevolently sets it explicitly). You can also trigger a syntax error in the script; if it is bash, the error message will contain the word "bash".

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Show us your Desktop

I don't see any threads like this and I know that a bunch of people have really cool desktops, so I`ll start. rules 1 no images in your post,attachments only 2 no default desktops, tha would be very much a waste (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Genral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Show path name

Hello I'm new to this forum. So please spare me! I'm using SCO UnixWare 7.1.4 and created a few accounts. So far so good. When I login I see: $. But here I want to see (for example), /home 25$ So I want to see the pathname where I am without each time typing pwd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.vvugt
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls how to not show date

Hello, I'm using ls -laR to print out a list of file and folders. I want to print only the permission, file size and file name. Also, excluding the '.' and '..'. result from ls -laR: total 6 drwxr-xr-x 8 user staff 512 Nov 28 16:17 . drwxr-x--- 16 user staff 1024... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display LineNo Incase Total Number Of Delimiter Does matches in a given variable

I have many files .dat extension. requirement is to display line no if no of delimiter does not matches in a given variable lets say File: REF_BETOS.dat HCPCS_OR_CPT_CODE~BETOS_CODE~TERMINATION_DATE 0001F~Z2~ 0003T~I4~B20061231 0005F~Z2~~~ 0008T~P8~B20061231... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ainuddin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show the type of my terminal?

How to show the type of my terminal? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Show all my Posts?

Hello, Is there a way to display all of the posts I have authored? Many thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dlundwall
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Show help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Display the contents of all files ending in a number to the screen 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcincan
2 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)