Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Newline in ANSI-C standard functions Post 303020314 by Corona688 on Monday 16th of July 2018 02:49:11 PM
Old 07-16-2018
The risk of strcpy is this:

Code:
char buf[8]; // Only room for 8 characters
char very_important_variable_touch_and_the_world_explodes=42;

// More than 8 characters, where does the rest go?
strcpy(buf, "HEY GUYS ALJ AF MY FACE IS A ROTTORN BANANA");

So instead, you can do this:

Code:
char buf[8]; 

strncpy(buf, "HEY GUYS ALJ AF MY FACE IS A ROTTORN BANANA", 8);

Which sets the contents of buf to { 'H','E','Y',' ','G','U','Y','S' } and doesn't destroy the world. But because it ran out of room, it couldn't store the null terminator. Meaning buf[] is not guaranteed to contain a proper string after you do strncpy, so trying to use it as a string could cause undefined results and possibly blow up the world. So to be really safe, you do:

Code:
char buf[8]; 

strncpy(buf, "HEY GUYS ALJ AF MY FACE IS A ROTTORN BANANA", 8);

buf[8-1]='\0';

Which sets buf to { 'H','E','Y',' ','G','U','Y','\0' }, which guarantees the buffer is null-terminated whether strncpy ran out of room or not, and does it all without destroying the world.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Ansi C

Dear All, I have to develope some C functions in Unix for a Magic program. The original MSE code which compiles the attached C program uses a +z option, but the cc compiler don't know this. The complete command in the compiler script is 'cc -c -Aa +z myfile.c'. The warning message is 'The -z... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frankie
4 Replies

2. Programming

ANSI C vs POSIX

can somebody explain about the ANSI C vs POSIX. say i was using open and fopen, i know that open is POSIX, and fopen is ANSI C. i read that that POSIX is a system call and ANSI C is like a standard library function. wouldn't the fopen function has to call on open function anyway to open any kind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bb00y
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert file from Unix - ANSI to PC - ANSI

Hi, I am creating a file in Unix using a shell script. The file is getting created in the Unix - ANSI format. My requirement is to convert it to the PC - ANSI format. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks, Sunil (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmallya
0 Replies

4. Programming

using c++ and c standard I/O functions

Is it not a healthy practice to mix C and C++ standard I/O functions together e.g. string name; // this is a declared instance of the string class in C++ printf("\nPlease enter your name: "); cin >> name; I did something similar in a program Im designing, and used it several... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
1 Replies

5. Programming

Standard UNIX functions

Hi everybody, first of all i apologize if my thread's title doesn't make much sense,but i coudn't find a more appropriate name :) Then i apologize about my question,which probably will sound trivial for you :) :) I am working on a program which is being tested in Linux but the final target is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zipi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

standard error to standard out question

Hi there how can i get the result of a command to not give me its error. For example, on certain systems the 'zfs' command below is not available, but this is fine becaues I am testing against $? so i dont want to see the message " command not found" Ive tried outputting to /dev/null 2>&1 to no... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard out and standard error

I need to run a cronjob and in the cronjob I execute a script that if there is an error produces standard error so I do /RUNMYSCRIPT 2> mylogfile.log However, if it runs correctly, I don't get a standard error output, I get a standard out output. How do I redirect both standard error and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

9. Programming

why the implementatoin of Bakery algorithm in ANSI C does not work in ANSI C

I follow the description of wiki (Lamport's bakery algorithm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), then implement that algorithm in C, but it doesn't work, Starving is still here, is the implementation worry? Only print out: Thread ID: 0 START! Thread ID: 0 END! Thread ID: 0 START!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies
GETS(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   GETS(3)

NAME
fgetc, fgets, getc, getchar, gets, ungetc - input of characters and strings SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int fgetc(FILE *stream); char *fgets(char *s, int size, FILE *stream); int getc(FILE *stream); int getchar(void); char *gets(char *s); int ungetc(int c, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
fgetc() reads the next character from stream and returns it as an unsigned char cast to an int, or EOF on end of file or error. getc() is equivalent to fgetc() except that it may be implemented as a macro which evaluates stream more than once. getchar() is equivalent to getc(stdin). gets() reads a line from stdin into the buffer pointed to by s until either a terminating newline or EOF, which it replaces with ''. No check for buffer overrun is performed (see BUGS below). fgets() reads in at most one less than size characters from stream and stores them into the buffer pointed to by s. Reading stops after an EOF or a newline. If a newline is read, it is stored into the buffer. A '' is stored after the last character in the buffer. ungetc() pushes c back to stream, cast to unsigned char, where it is available for subsequent read operations. Pushed - back characters will be returned in reverse order; only one pushback is guaranteed. Calls to the functions described here can be mixed with each other and with calls to other input functions from the stdio library for the same input stream. For non-locking counterparts, see unlocked_stdio(3). RETURN VALUE
fgetc(), getc() and getchar() return the character read as an unsigned char cast to an int or EOF on end of file or error. gets() and fgets() return s on success, and NULL on error or when end of file occurs while no characters have been read. ungetc() returns c on success, or EOF on error. CONFORMING TO
ANSI - C, POSIX.1 BUGS
Never use gets(). Because it is impossible to tell without knowing the data in advance how many characters gets() will read, and because gets() will continue to store characters past the end of the buffer, it is extremely dangerous to use. It has been used to break computer security. Use fgets() instead. It is not advisable to mix calls to input functions from the stdio library with low - level calls to read() for the file descriptor associ- ated with the input stream; the results will be undefined and very probably not what you want. SEE ALSO
read(2), write(2), ferror(3), fopen(3), fread(3), fseek(3), puts(3), scanf(3), unlocked_stdio(3) GNU
1993-04-04 GETS(3)