Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Get information from one files, based on data from other file Post 303019575 by jgt on Monday 2nd of July 2018 10:57:35 AM
Old 07-02-2018
The lazy way if you just have to run it once.
Code:
while read cc
do
   echo $cc $(grep -c "^$cc" fileb)
done <filea

If you have to run this frequently, or the number of records in filea is large then you may want to first sort fileb and create a "rolling totals" type program.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to jgt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to delete folder based on text file information

I have been working on a script to list all the name's of a subfolder in a text file then edit that text file and then delete the subfolder base on the edited text file so far I have been able to do every thing I just talked about but can't figure out how to delete the subfolers base on a text file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bone11409
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract information from two files with data range

Hi, I want to make a query about extracting data from two files that both have data ranges. the data that i want to extract; when there is matching between file1 column 2 is equal to file2 column2 , and file1 column 3 and column 4 is within the range of file2 columns 3 and 4. I would like rows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: houkto
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me pls : splitting single file in unix into different files based on data

I have a file in unix with sample data as follows : -------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------- {30001002|XXparameter|Layout|$ I want this file to be splitted into different files and corresponding to the sample... (54 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
54 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate tabular data based on a column value from an existing data file

Hi, I have a data file with : 01/28/2012,1,1,98995 01/28/2012,1,2,7195 01/29/2012,1,1,98995 01/29/2012,1,2,7195 01/30/2012,1,1,98896 01/30/2012,1,2,7083 01/31/2012,1,1,98896 01/31/2012,1,2,7083 02/01/2012,1,1,98896 02/01/2012,1,2,7083 02/02/2012,1,1,98899 02/02/2012,1,2,7083 I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: himanish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending information from 2nd file into 1st based on intervals

Hi, I am trying to gather information from the second file and append it to the first file. input HWUSI-EAS000_29:1:100:10000:11479#0/1 + chr5 14458050 ATTGGCTGAGGTCCTACTAGTTGTGATGTGTAAGTGT HHHHHHGDGGEDGGGDGCGEDDEFFFAGE 0 second file:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Obtaining File information based on String Search

Is there a single Command in Unix to get the following Information when searching for files containing one or more strings in a Unix Directory (including sub directories within it) : 1) Complete filename ( path and filename) 2) Owner of the file 3) Size of the file 4) Last Modified date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling information from a data file by date

awk -v now="$(date +%s)" -v tDiff="${USERMINUTES}" ' BEGIN { FS="=" if (!now) now=systime() if (!tDiff) tDiff=60*60 p=1 } /{/ {rec=$0;p=1;next} /}/ && rec && p {print rec ORS $0;next} $1=="entry_time" { if (now-$2>tDiff)p=0 } {rec=rec ORS $0}'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create file based on data from two other files

I have looked through several threads regarding merging files with awk and attempted using join however have been unsuccessful likely as I do not fully understand awk. What I am attempting is to take a csv file which could be between 1 and 15,000 lines with 5 colums and another csv file that will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdubu2
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create file and file content based existing information?

Hi Gurus, I am SQL developer and new unix user. I need to create some file and file content based on information in two files. I have one file contains basic information below file1 and another exception file file2. the rule is if "zone' and "cd" in file1 exists in file2, then file name is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torhong
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
PMDABASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMDABASH(1)

NAME
pmdabash - Bourne-Again SHell trace performance metrics domain agent SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/pmdabash [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-I interval] [-t timeout] [-U username] configfile DESCRIPTION
pmdabash is an experimental Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports "xtrace" events from a traced bash(1) process. This includes the command execution information that would usually be sent to standard error with the set -x option to the shell. Event metrics are exported showing each command executed, the function name and line number in the script, and a timestamp. Additionally, the process identifier for the shell and its parent process are exported. This requires bash version 4 or later. A brief description of the pmdabash command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named bash.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdabash is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -s Amount of time (in seconds) between subsequent evaluations of the shell trace file descriptor(s). The default is 2 seconds. -m Maximum amount of memory to be allowed for each event queue (one per traced process). The default is 2 megabytes. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
In order for a host to export the names, help text and values for the bash performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Install As soon as an instrumented shell script (see INSTRUMENTATION selection below) is run, with tracing enabled, new metric values will appear - no further setup of the agent is required. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Remove pmdabash is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. INSTRUMENTATION
In order to allow the flow of event data between a bash(1) script and pmdabash, the script should take the following actions: #!/bin/sh source $PCP_DIR/etc/pcp.sh pcp_trace on $@ # enable tracing echo "awoke, $count" pcp_trace off # disable tracing The tracing can be enabled and disabled any number of times by the script. On successful installation of the agent, several metrics will be available: $ pminfo bash bash.xtrace.numclients bash.xtrace.maxmem bash.xtrace.queuemem bash.xtrace.count bash.xtrace.records bash.xtrace.parameters.pid bash.xtrace.parameters.parent bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno bash.xtrace.parameters.function bash.xtrace.parameters.command When an instrumented script is running, the generation of event records can be verified using the pmevent(1) command, as follows: $ pmevent -t 1 -x '' bash.xtrace.records host: localhost samples: all bash.xtrace.records["4538 ./test-trace.sh 1 2 3"]: 5 event records 10:00:05.000 --- event record [0] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 43 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "true" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [1] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 45 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "(( count++ ))" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [2] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 46 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "echo 'awoke, 3'" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [3] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 47 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "tired 2" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [4] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 38 bash.xtrace.parameters.function "tired" bash.xtrace.parameters.command "sleep 2" FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdabash $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/help default help text file for the bash metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Install installation script for the pmdabash agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Remove undo installation script for pmdabash $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bash.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdabash PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
bash(1), pmevent(1) and pmcd(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDABASH(1)