Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Want to dual boot windows/Linux on a ssd/hdd configuration Post 303017903 by RudiC on Thursday 24th of May 2018 08:48:19 AM
Old 05-24-2018
You should prepare the disk layout with due care. It should not be the linux boot loader only to go on the ssd, but, in order to make the system utmost responsive, the kernel, the ramdisk, and certain binaries and libraries should reside there as well. Other, less frequently used and less important, stuff can go to the hdd. Same holds true for the windows setup.

Last edited by RudiC; 05-24-2018 at 09:54 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loading windows on a dual boot

I want to dual-boot Windows 98 and Redhat 7. My scheme for doing this is to partition into: A FAT32 partition for windows A Linux partition for root A swap partition A boot partition My question is: At what point do I setup windows on the FAT partition? Would I do it from the command line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Furtoes00
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual boot Redhat with Windows 2k or XP

I know this is a common question, but.... I am working on 2 seperate computers. Each machine has one hdd. I want to Install Redhat with Win2k on one machine, and Redhat with Xp on the other. I know there are some issues with the install sequence to get Grub to work with both, but I am a little... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot solaris off of 2nd HDD

I did a search on the board, but I could not find anything specific to dual booting windows and solaris, with solaris being placed on a second hard drive. I have solaris 8 intel, and I am trying to dual boot, but the Solaris installation process is quite intimidating. I am afraid I am going to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

windows -linux dual boot............

I am trying to implement a dual boot on my laptop ... using a small xp partition and fedora core 269.1-fc2 i686 linux kernel.. so far I have had to log off and reboot to enter the other partition... but this is getting frustrating.. windows is on /dev/hda1 and 1-5 is on the linux partition. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
8 Replies

5. Red Hat

Dual boot (Booting Windows from Linux MBR)

Hi , I have two disk installed with Linux(disk 1) and WinXP(disk 2) .Now i am changing Hardisk jumbper manualy to get in to Linux/Windows .I want to configure my REDHAT linux boot manager to list Linux and WindowXP and wanna boot according to my choice . Here is what my fdisk -l shows (Only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishn
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot between UNIX and Windows

I am planning to install UNIX (SunOS) on my computer which has two hard disks C: and D: C drive already have operating system which has windows installed on it and I use it on daily basis. D drive is empty and has like 40GB space, I want to partition D: by half half and want install UNIX on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DataSheet
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows And Unix, Dual Boot

Hello! I must find a way to use unix in my PC. I have a Dell Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.2GHz, 1Gb RAM.It came with windows xp but in order to get some software running I have to be able to work on unix! Is it posible to set up a unix and Windows dual boot configuration? I was sure it was posible but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isidora10
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need to install red hat linux on existing windows vista OS as dual boot

HI ALL, I need to install linux on already existing windows vista OS. I tried to install linux,am getting error while creating patitions, i)selected manula patition with grude option.. after that when i m selecting free space to create mount points, its giving error "could not allocate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run linux in windows 7 without dual boot?

tell me in steps if its virtual box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahor1989
2 Replies
RDEV(8) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   RDEV(8)

NAME
rdev - query/set image root device, RAM disk size, or video mode SYNOPSIS
rdev [-Rrvh] [-o offset] [image [value [offset]]] rdev [-o offset] [image [root_device [offset]]] ramsize [-o offset] [image [size [offset]]] vidmode [-o offset] [image [mode [offset]]] rootflags [-o offset] [image [flags [offset]]] DESCRIPTION
With no arguments, rdev outputs an /etc/mtab line for the current root file system. With no arguments, ramsize, vidmode, and rootflags print usage information. In a bootable image for the Linux kernel on i386, there are several pairs of bytes which specify the root device, the video mode, and the size of the RAM disk. These pairs of bytes, by default, begin at offset 504 (decimal) in the kernel image: 498 Root flags (500 and 502 Reserved) 504 RAM Disk Size 506 VGA Mode 508 Root Device (510 Boot Signature) rdev will change these values. Typical values for the image parameter, which is a bootable Linux kernel image, might be: /vmlinux /vmunix /boot/bzImage-2.4.0 /dev/fd0 /dev/fd1 When using the rdev command, the root_device parameter might be something like: /dev/hda1 /dev/hdf13 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdc4 /dev/ida/c0d0p1 One may also specify the device by a comma-separated pair of decimal integers major,minor. For the ramsize command, the size parameter specifies the size of the RAM disk in kilobytes. 2.0.x kernels and newer dynamically allocate the ramdisk and do not need this setting. For the rootflags command, the flags parameter contains extra information used when mounting root. Currently the only effect of these flags is to force the kernel to mount the root filesystem in readonly mode if flags is non-zero. For the vidmode command, the mode parameter specifies the video mode: -3 = Prompt -2 = Extended VGA -1 = Normal VGA 0 = as if "0" was pressed at the prompt 1 = as if "1" was pressed at the prompt 2 = as if "2" was pressed at the prompt n = as if "n" was pressed at the prompt If the value is not specified, the image will be examined to determine the current settings. OPTIONS
-r Causes rdev to act like ramsize (Not relevant for 2.0.x and newer kernels). -R Causes rdev to act like rootflags. -v Causes rdev to act like vidmode. -h Provides help. BUGS
The rdev utility, when used other than to find a name for the current root device, is an ancient hack that works by patching a kernel image at a magic offset with magic numbers. It does not work on architectures other than i386. Its use is strongly discouraged. Use a boot loader like SysLinux or LILO instead. HISTORY
At offset 502 there used to be the device number of the swap device (in Linux 0.12), and "rdev -s" or "swapdev" would set this. However, since Linux 0.95 this constant is not used any longer, and the swap device is specified using the swapon(2) system call. At offset 504 there used to be the size of the ramdisk in kilobytes. One would specify a size, and this much was grabbed off the top of memory. In Linux 1.1.39 it became also possible to set this value on the kernel command line. In Linux 1.3.48 the ramdisk setup was changed. Ramdisk memory is now taken from the buffer cache, so that the ramdisk can grow dynamically. The interpretation of the ramdisk word was changed to a word of which the high order bit is a prompt flag (1: prompt for ramdisk: "VFS: Insert ramdisk floppy and press ENTER" - this is needed with a two-floppy boot), the next bit a load flag (1: load ramdisk), and the low order 11 bits give the starting block number of the root filesystem image (so that one can have a single floppy boot). See also linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt. AUTHORS
Originally by Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) Modified by Peter MacDonald (pmacdona@sanjuan.UVic.CA) rootflags support added by Stephen Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk) AVAILABILITY
The rdev command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 0.99 20 November 1993 RDEV(8)