Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Options for AIX server backups Post 303016500 by terrya on Friday 27th of April 2018 04:55:02 PM
Old 04-27-2018
Options for AIX server backups

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

Forgive a question that may have been asked, but I would like to get advice on options for backups of an AIX server.

The AIX server in question has about 2TB of storage, with 3 Oracle databases configured on it

We're currently using tar backups to tape, LTO 5 tapes, using scripts that were created over 20 years ago when our server environment was very different.

I'm spearheading a project to revise our backup strategy here. Our senior DBA has been testing rman, since we have Oracle configured on our IBM p740 and p720 servers.

As I said, we're currently using backups to tape, but we'd like to explore disk backups.

I've downloaded an evaluation version of the Storix SBAdmin tool, but haven't installed it as of yet. It looks promising.

I've done some research and found options like CommVault, NetBackup. TSM is another options.

Any other suggestions on backing up/restoring our AIX servers?

Again, forgive a stupid question.

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Pax command and backups on AIX HP-UX and IRIX

can someone tell me in details what this command does: pax -rpe -f /dev/rmt0 -s:^/home:/temp/test:g The definition given in the source i got this from says that command is used to restore the files from /home to /tmp/test. now, i know there's goto be a deeper explanation than that. can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount options - AIX

I'm trying to write a script to verify that file systems mounted properly after a reboot or a script that any system admin can run to verify that all file systems are mounted properly. With HP-UX, I can run a mount -aQ and it will mount file systems not already mounted and report back any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DRPearce
1 Replies

3. AIX

Transferring files from one AIX server to another AIX server in binary mode

Hi, I am a newbie to AIX. We have 2 AIX5.3 servers in our environment, I need to transfer some files in Binary mode from one server to another and some files in ASCII mode from one server to another server. Could you please help me as to how I need to do that? Thanks, Rakesh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshc.apps
4 Replies

4. AIX

Any hope to get lp options like the following to work on AIX (6.1)?

Greetings Aix gurus, I have been appointed the task to port my SAS environment on HP-UX to AIX... I have been able to solve most issues but I am stuck with the following lines (these were easy to find, since in shell scripts but I found out that there are plenty more and encapsulated in SAS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vbe
1 Replies

5. AIX

AIX 6.1 Backups

Hello, I've got multiple AIX LPARs running on VIOS, within a blade environment. I need to dump a mksysb backup to backup rootvg and a couple of other volume groups. mksysb -i "destination"; works however I'd like to make sure its being done correctly. on the other volume groups, ive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ollie01
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of 'if -f' options - AIX / Korn Shell

Hi all, Can someone point me in the right direction for a manual on the various statement options for 'if'. Basically I have a piece of code which says: if ] and I wondered what the -f was. I know the '!' means not equal.. As usual any help much appreciated.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Commands with options hang server

Hello Folks, when i run simple ls command i am getting the output properly. See below: # ls ecapPlat.err FileMover.log.2 FileScrubber.log.1 MeasServer.log mysentfile surv.log ecapPlat.log FileMover.log.3 FileScrubber.log.2 MeasServer.log.1 netConfig.err TimeServer.log FileMover.log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manuswami
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX available cifs mount options

Hi, I can't find any documentation of all available mount options of mount -v cifs Unfortunately you can specify any fantasy options, no complains, and the mount command shows this option In particular I want to know if there is a possibility to completely disable cifs caching in aix,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

UNIX equivalent of windows terminal server options?

I want to replace Windows terminal server mostly due to cost reasons license cost for 2100 users goes out of roof. The end-user is all windows but I want a jump server that is UNIX based , I have some experience with VNC but I don't want options exists in UNIX to run a terminal services for 2100... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazerz
10 Replies

10. AIX

Best method to encrypt AIX LTO6 tape backups?

Hello, I need to be able to encrypt LTO tapes that our AIX writes to for backups. We have a tape library (IBM TS3100) that our AIX host uses to write to LTO6 tapes. We then take those tapes off-site and restore to another AIX system using a 3580-H6S LTO6 tape drive - this is a very simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)