Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find common lines between all of the files in one folder Post 303014156 by Eve on Tuesday 6th of March 2018 06:57:44 AM
Old 03-06-2018
Hi! I only need to compare file contents to find common lines between all of the files in one folder. Could it be done with comm since all of the files are sorted? I just need that every outcome where they had common lines would be in a different file.

---------- Post updated at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:52 AM ----------

A question to jim mcnamara . Where is the edited code with a correction?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find all common lines from 'n' no. of files

Hi, I have one situation. I have some 6-7 no. of files in one directory & I have to extract all the lines which exist in all these files. means I need to extract all common lines from all these files & put them in a separate file. Please help. I know it could be done with the help of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find common lines using just one column to compare and result with all columns

Hi. If we have this file A B C 7 8 9 1 2 10 and this other file A C D F 7 9 2 3 9 2 3 4 The result i´m looking for is intersection with A B C D F so the answer here will be (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alcalina
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all text files in folder and then copy to a new folder

Hi all, *I use Uwin and Cygwin emulator. I´m trying to search for all text files in the current folder (C/Files) and its sub folders using find -depth -name "*.txt" The above command worked for me, but now I would like to copy all found text files to a new folder (C/Files/Text) with ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common lines from files

Hello guys, I need a script to get the common lines from two files with a criteria that if the first two columns match then I keep the maximum value of the 3rd column.(tab separated columns) Sample input: file1: 111 222 0.1 333 444 0.5 555 666 0.4 file 2: 111 222 0.7 555 666... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common lines from files

Hello guys, I need a script to get the common lines from two files with a criteria that if the first two columns match then I keep the maximum value of the 5th column.(tab separated columns) . 3rd and 4th columns corresponds to the row which has highest value for the 5th column. Sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysean
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common lines between multiple files

Hello everyone A few years Ago the user radoulov posted a fancy solution for a problem, which was about finding common lines (gene variation names) between multiple samples (files). The code was: awk 'END { for (R in rec) { n = split(rec, t, "/") if (n > 1) dup = dup ?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibb
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter lines common in two files

Thanks everyone. I got that problem solved. I require one more help here. (Yes, UNIX definitely seems to be fun and useful, and I WILL eventually learn it for myself. But I am now on a different project and don't really have time to go through all the basics. So, I will really appreciate some... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: latsyrc
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to find common lines and replace next line

I want to find common line in two files and replace the next line of first file with the next line of second file. (sed,awk,perl,bash any solution is welcomed ) Case Ignored. Multiple Occurrence of same line. File 1: hgacdavd sndm,ACNMSDC msgid "Rome" msgstr "" kgcksdcgfkdsb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madira
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find common lines with one file and with all of the files in another folder

Hi! I would like to comm -12 with one file and with all of the files in another folder that has a 100 files or more (that file is not in that folder) to find common text lines. I would like to have each case that they have common lines to be written to a different output file and the names of the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eve
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to trim folder and files within a path that share a common file extension

The bash will trim the folder to trim folder. Within each of the folders (there may be more than 1) and the format is always the same, are several .bam and matching .bam.bai files (file structure) and the bashunder that executes and trims the .bam as expected but repeats the.bam.bai extentions... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)