Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: passing shell variables through and extracting text Post 303013318 by Don Cragun on Monday 19th of February 2018 02:38:07 PM
Old 02-19-2018
Your sample data included in your echo statement is nothing at all like the data you are looking for in the output from wget.
Maybe the following would come closer to doing what you want with a little less bother:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
textBefore='<h2>'
textAfter='</h2>'

wget -q -O- "hamiltonweather.ca/traffic/" | awk -F "($textBefore|$textAfter)" 'NF==3{print $2}'

I can't test it on my laptop since it doesn't have a wget utility, but it should come close to doing what you want. If it doesn't, please show us the output the above wget command produces (in CODE tags), so we can see what the data you're trying to process really looks like.

Please also get into the habit of letting us know what operating system and shell you're using whenever you start a thread in this forum. The utilities (and the options they support) vary from system to system and shell features vary from shell to shell. Telling us details about your environment helps us provide you with suggestions that will work in your environment.

And, please use CODE tags (not ICODE and not QUOTE tags) for sample full-line and multi-line input, output, and code segments. Use ICODE tags when displaying partial-line sample input, output, and code segments in-line with other text.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing shell variables to awk program..

Hello, Can we pass shell variables like $PATH etc. to a awk program part for example, awk ' { fieldValue=$PATH .... }' file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variables to Awk

Hi I have a unix shell script with an awk statement. I would like to print some of the fields of an input file. However, I would like to print them dynamically, ie by passing the literal $1 $3 into the script to define the output. I have tried the following: variable1='$1' awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk Variables

I am trying to pass the results from a variable gathered from awk, however when I echo the 'PARSE' and 'SUB', the response is blank. This is my command. awk -F= '/Unit/''{ PARSE=substr($2,1,5) ; SUB=substr($2,1,1) }' inputfile.lst Is this a kind of valid attempt or am I obligated to declare... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Variables to an awk command

Hello, I have two files File1 & File2. File1 76 135 136 200 250 345 .... File2 1 24 1 35 1 36 1 72 .... I want to get all the values form File2 corresponding to the range in File 1 and feed it to a program. Is the code below right? Can I pass shell variables to awk in this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to shell

Hi. I need to parse file and assign some values to variables, right now i do like below MYHOMEDIR=`awk '/Home/ {print $NF}' output.txt` MYSHELL=`awk '/Shell/ {print $NF}' output.txt` PRGRP=`awk '/Primary/ {print $NF}' output.txt` SECGRP=`awk '/Second/ {print $NF}' output.txt` In this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Global Shell variables to awk

Hi All, Iam trying to pass global shell variables and is not working Main script is like below CYEAR=`date +"%y"` CFYEAR=`date +"%Y"` CMONTH=`date +"%m"` if then PMONTH=12 PYEAR=`expr $CYEAR - 1` PFYEAR=`expr $CFYEAR - 1` else PMONTH=`expr... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting a block of text from a large file using variables?

Hi UNIX Members, I've been tasked with performing the following: Extract a block of data in column form #This data changes each time, therefore automating future procedures Please Note the following: line = reading a line from a file_list that leads to the data The filename is called... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klor
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variables to bash variables

Trying to do so echo "111:222:333" |awk -F: '{system("export TESTO=" $2)}'But it doesn't work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - passing variables in and out

Am looking to pass some Linux environment variables into AWK , can I simply use the -v option ? awk -F: -v AHOME=$HOME '{ if {rm AHOME/file.txt a=2 } }' config.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alldbest
4 Replies
LINTIAN-INFO(1) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   LINTIAN-INFO(1)

NAME
lintian-info - give detailed information about Lintian's error tags SYNOPSIS
lintian-info [log-file...] lintian-info --tags tag ... DESCRIPTION
The lintian-info command parses the output of the lintian command and gives verbose information about the listed Lintian error tags, parses a Lintian override file and gives verbose information about the tags included, or (if given the -t or --tags option) explains a given tag or tags. If no log-file is specified on the command line, this command expects its input on stdin. Thus, the output of lintian can either be piped through lintian-info or a log file produced by lintian can be processed with this command. (Note, though, that the lintian command has a command line option -i to display the same results as lintian-info, so you will not normally need to pipe the output of lintian into this command.) OPTIONS
-a, --annotate Read from standard input or any files specified on the command line and search the input for lines formatted like Lintian override entries. For each one that was found, display verbose information about that tag. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. --profile prof Use the severities from the vendor profile prof when displaying tags. If the profile name does not contain a slash, the default profile for than vendor is chosen. If not specified, lintian-info loads the best profile for the current vendor. Please Refer to the Lintian User Manual for the full documentation of profiles. -t, --tags Rather than treating them as log file names, treat any command-line options as tag names and display the descriptions of each tag. EXIT STATUS
If -t or --tags was given and one or more of the tags specified were unknown, this command returns the exit code 1. Otherwise, it always returns with exit code 0. SEE ALSO
lintian(1) AUTHORS
Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> perl v5.14.2 2013-02-16 LINTIAN-INFO(1)