Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need command/script to archive files older than Post 303009441 by KaosJedi on Thursday 14th of December 2017 01:55:46 PM
Old 12-14-2017
Need command/script to archive files older than

I need to find a way to archive all files older than a given date but there are some conditions that are making it difficult for me to find the correct command:

Linux based system (RH5)
  • there are multiple layers of directory depth I need to search
  • each file should be tar'd in it's original location in the directory
  • original file removed of course (this is a space issue)
  • tar files should achieve max compression
  • Cannot simply delete any files, records have to be maintained

Now personally I would prefer to pull all files from say July 2015 into a singe tar, max compress, and simply write a script that the web app can call to search the tar files and extract if needed.

---------- Post updated at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:53 AM ----------

I should have said I would prefer to do one big tar file but I'm being told I can't by management and customer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive files older than 30days

I have files with the names BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060724 in the source directory /biddf/ab6498/dev/ctl. I need to archive folders older than 30days. Like if i have a file named BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060622 I need to move this to /biddf/ab6498/dev/ctl/archive. How can I do this. One more thing is that I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive script old files

Hi All, Im trying to write a script to archive files based on the date the files were created. For example, if a group of files were created on 23rd August,I would have 230806.tar. I have a problem,I want the script to read a separately created file(readarchive.txt) to look for the path to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix command/s to find files older than 2 hours in a directory

I need to write a script to find files older than 2 hours in set of direcotries and list them ina mail. I know find command ti list files greater/lesser than days but i need to do it for hours. Any input. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Presanna
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to archive logs older than 5 days & then delete them?

My code is tar -cvf logs.tar `find /usr/openv/logs/512*.log -mtime +2` && find *.log* -mtime +2 -exec rm {} \; this gives me output as: tar: Missing filenames:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: timus1980
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to Count the files which is Older than 3 months?

Hi Gurus the count of files in a particular Directory... ls -lrth | grep -c ^- can any one share the command to Count the files which is Older than 3 months So please help me out in this Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeenuGuddu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding older files using find command

Hi All, I want to find files which are older than 15 days. I have written a command as below, find -mtime +15 -print I understand (System date - last modified time of a file) should be greater than or equal to 15 days. This command returns files which are 15 days old.. i.e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nshan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command to filter specific type of files older than certain date.

Hi I need to find the list of files in a directory and to do some specific operations based on the type of files. suppose in a directory am having .dat , .log, .err, .rej file types. i need to filter out .dat and .log only which are older than six months. i used the below query but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msathees
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How archive the older than 30 day files to another unix server

I need to archive the older than 30 day file to another uinx server.I have wrote the below uinx script. for LOOK_DIR in /TempFiles do for FILE in `find ${LOOK_DIR} -mtime -30 -exec ls {} \;` do echo ${FILE} >> file_list ## This file will have the list of files copied and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: murari83.ds
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find files older than 1 hour

Hi, Out of a list of files in a directory, I want to find the files which were created/modified more than 1 hour ago. I am using HP -UNIX and it does not support the argument -mmin. Please advise. I am using # !/bin/sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript command to remove files starting with a certain string, and older than 3 days

Hi All, Need help in identifying a shellscript command to remove all files on a server directory, starting with a certain prefix and also older than 3 days. That means files created with that prefix, today or yesterday, shouldn't be removed. Thanks, Dev (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - archiver SYNOPSIS
tar key [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores file trees. It is most often used to transport a tree of files from one system to another. The key is a string that contains at most one function letter plus optional modifiers. Other arguments to the command are names of files or directories to be dumped or restored. A directory name implies all the contained files and subdirectories (recursively). The function is one of the following letters: c Create a new archive with the given files as contents. x Extract the named files from the archive. If a file is a directory, the directory is extracted recursively. Modes are restored if possible. If no file argument is given, extract the entire archive. If the archive contains multiple entries for a file, the lat- est one wins. t List all occurrences of each file in the archive, or of all files if there are no file arguments. r The named files are appended to the archive. The modifiers are: v (verbose) Print the name of each file treated preceded by the function letter. With t, give more details about the archive entries. f Use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of the default standard input (for keys x and t) or standard output (for keys c and r). u Use the next (numeric) argument as the user id for files in the output archive. This is only useful when moving files to a non-Plan 9 system. g Use the next (numeric) argument as the group id for files in the output archive. EXAMPLES
Tar can be used to copy hierarchies thus: {cd fromdir; tar c .} | {cd todir; tar x} SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tar.c SEE ALSO
ar(1), bundle(1), tapefs(1) BUGS
There is no way to ask for any but the last occurrence of a file. File path names are limited to 100 characters. The tar format allows specification of links and symbolic links, concepts foreign to Plan 9: they are ignored. TAR(1)