Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Running a script as root in the script Post 303007380 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 15th of November 2017 09:05:18 PM
Old 11-15-2017
I'm confused by several things in this thread...

The command id -u root will return the string 0 on any UNIX system. The current real or effective UID of the person running the script has no effect on the results produced by this command.

The test command [ id -u root -ne 0 ] does not run the id command; it invokes test with the five arguments id, -u, root, -ne, and 0. And that is not a valid set of arguments to be given to the test utility.

Nothing in your script after invoking su will be run with root privileges. The su utility, if given a proper password, will start a shell and nothing in the rest of your script will be run until that shell exits.

If you were running the id command, the exit code of that utility is not related to the uid or euid of the user running the process; it only tells you whether or not the user you name with the -u option is known on your system.

Would something more like:
Code:
if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ]
then	echo 'type in root password'
	su <<EOF
		sh command_file
EOF
else	sh command_file
fi

where command_file is the pathname of a file containing the commands you want this script to run with root privileges.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a command or script as root

I'm writing an application (Progress language) that needs to: 1) load the contents of a cron table into the Progress application; 2) display this information in a human manner and allow a select group of people to update it (these people are logged in as themselves, not as root); 3) save... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

As root , running script as different user with su - problem

Dear All I am running into a situation where I am running a script as another user lets say oracle using su command as below, and the script fails because the .profile of oracle is not executed so the environment variables are not set. cat /etc/passwd | grep oracle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbsupp
4 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Running script through SSH as root

Hi all, I have a situation where I have a shell script that I need to run remotely on multiple *nix machines via SSH. Unfortunately, some of the commands in it require root access. I know that best practices for ssh entail configuring it so that the root account cannot log in, you need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: irinotecan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue running script as root

1) Environment:Red Hat Linux, bash shell Script to be run owned by user :myUser Home environment of myUser: pathto/home 2) ESP agent with root access will run JobXXX.sh su - myUser -c "/pathto/home/bin/script.sh" where script.sh has some echo statements and an exit statement in the end... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cj09
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for running root based C++ code

Hi all, I have to run C++ file using root programming, using following commands: $root -l root .L TwoTrees.C++ root TwoTrees t root t.Loop() root.q I wonder if I can write script to do the following. Thanks Pooja (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script as root but with different users inside

Hi All, my script.sh has the below lines, and i need to run the script as root or wam. please tell me if this will work #!/bin/bash sudo -t wam /usr/local/wam/stopwam -r ------- this needs run as wam user /usr/local/web/stopweb -a --- this needs to run as... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Root running a script calling to scp using user "xyz" is not authenticating!

Close duplicate thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: denissi
0 Replies
chroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 chroot(8)

NAME
chroot - Changes the root directory of a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot directory command DESCRIPTION
Only root can use the chroot command. The chroot command changes the root directory from / to the specified directory when the command executes. (The command specified includes both the command name as well as any arguments.) Consequently, the root of any path (as indicated by the first / (slash) in the pathname) changes to directory and is always relative to the current root. Even if the chroot command is in effect, directory is relative to the current root of the running process. Several programs may not operate properly after chroot executes. You must ensure that all vital files are present in the new root file system and the relevant pathnames for the files map correctly in the new root file system. For example, the ls -l command fails to give user and group names if the new root file system does not have a copy of the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files. If the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files in the new root file system represent different user and group names, then the output from the ls -l command will be based on those names, not the ones for the system's own name database. Utilities that depend on description files produced by the ctab command may also fail if the required description files are not present in the new root file system. The chroot program uses the execv() function to invoke the specified command. As a consequence, the command specified must be an exe- cutable binary, not a shell script. Further, if the program requires indirect loading (for example, due to unresolved symbols requiring use of a shared library), then /sbin/loader as well as any files it requires (for example, shared libraries) must be present in the new root file system in the appropriate locations. EXAMPLES
To run a subshell with another file system as the root, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /sbin/sh The command shown in the previous example spec- ifies a change from the current root file system to the one mounted on /mnt/dsk13a while /sbin/sh (which itself is relative to the new root file system) executes. When /bin/sh executes, the original root file system is inaccessible. The file system mounted on /mnt/dsk13a must contain the standard directories of a root file system. In particular, the shell looks for commands in /sbin, /bin, and /usr/bin (among others) on the new root file system. Running the /sbin/sh command creates a subshell that runs as a separate process from the original shell. Press to exit the subshell and return to the original shell. This restores the environment of the original shell, including the meanings of the current directory (.) and the root directory (/). To run a command in another root file system and save the output on the initial root file system, enter a command similar to the following. Note in this example, the file system is on the /dev/disk/dsk13a device and is mounted to /mnt/dsk13a: chroot /mnt/dsk13a /bin/cc -E /u/bob/prog.c > prep.out The previous command runs the /bin/cc command with /mnt/dsk13a as the specified root file system. It compiles the /mnt/dsk13a/u/bob/prog.c file, reads the #include files from the /mnt/dsk13a/usr/include directory, and puts the compiled text in the prep.out file on the initial root file system. To create a file relative to the original root rather than the new one, use this syntax and enter: chroot directory command > file CAUTIONS
If special files in the new root have different major and minor device numbers than the initial root directory, it is possible to overwrite the file system. FILES
Specifies the command path. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cc(1), cpp(1), ls(1), sh(1) Functions: chdir(2), chroot(2) exec(2) delim off chroot(8)