Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX Post 303006076 by Rajeswararao on Thursday 26th of October 2017 12:48:43 PM
Old 10-26-2017
I am working with HP server for both dev and prod

I am having all the permissions for all required files in dev but in prod I don't have the write permission( I can read and execute the files in prod).
Servers are able to talk with ssh

I am having a UNIX script in which I need to make changes but I don't have the write permission. I thought I can move the files from prod to dev, so I can make the changes and again move to prod. Is this correct way?

Thanks,
Rajesh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

music production, unix

okay, so i'm using windows right now because i produce electronic music and all my software is written for windows. i want to get rid of microsoft's os, so i'm wondering if there is an easy way to run these windows programs on a unix system. maybe a windows emulator for x-windows or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nydel
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dominant Unix in production?

What's the dominant Unix in production environment? Solaris or Linux? HP-UX and AIX have never been "dominant", while HP-UX is widely used in financial circles... Is Linux reallly where it's all going for major production environments running Oracle/SAP/whatever or will Solaris remain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Most common version of UNIX on production systems

I am new to UNIX (about a year) and learning as fast as I can. I am an instructor teaching UNIX and have two labs with Ultra 10 333 MHz, Sun Blade 1000 1 GHz, Blade 100, and Two Enterprise 250 Servers. We are currently teaching our classes using the Solaris 2.10 OS, downloaded in May 2006, I am not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dutchman
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Kernel Switching?

How do I go about switching from one Kernel to another? I figure the process is somewhat like "compile -> remove old boot reference -> add new boot reference -> reboot/restart kernel"... but honestly I have no idea how to do this... I'm trying to test out a piece of software, but it only runs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between development and Production unix servers for a application??

Hi all I am running a major script of my application in development for implementing code changes for process improvement in time. The script runs in production once in a month . It takes 8 hours 30 mins in Production server . what surprice me is , when I run the same script in development server... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
9 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

roles and responsibilites in unix shell scripting as a production support consultant

what are the roles and responsibilites in unix shell scripting as a production support consultant in oracle database (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

8. BSD

Copying OpenBSD Kernel from a non production to production machine

Hi All, There are few OpenBSD 4.8 servers without compiler installed at my working place. However, sometimes there are some patches released for patching the kernel. My question is: Can I setup a non production OpenBSD 4.8 server as a test machine with compiler installed and use it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lcxpics
1 Replies

9. Linux

Switching between Windows and UNIX

I have both UNIX and Windows on my system. While booting it asks for me to select an OS. Once I log in to an OS, then to log in to another OS, there is no direct method. I need to shutdown and again start to select another OS. May I know any method to directly switch between the two. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
23 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching server in UNIX via shell script (SSH )

Requirement: I am writing a shell script which take some file from say Server1 and I have to execute some command on Server2 then I have to manipulate the data and based on that I have to produce report. Problem:I can schedule the shell script on only one server (Server1 or Server2) So, In the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raks2301
3 Replies
groups(1)						      General Commands Manual							 groups(1)

NAME
groups - Displays your group membership SYNOPSIS
groups [user] DESCRIPTION
The groups command writes to standard output the groups to which you or the specified user belong. The Tru64 UNIX operating system allows a user to belong to many different groups at the same time. Your primary group is specified in the /etc/passwd file. Once you are logged in, you can change your active group with the newgrp shell command (see sh). When you create a file, its group ID is that of your active group. Other groups that you belong to are specified in the /etc/group file. If you belong to more than one group, you can access files belonging to any of those groups without changing your primary group ID. These are called your concurrent groups. NOTES
The /etc/passwd and /etc/group files must be on the same node. EXAMPLES
To determine your group membership, enter: groups The groups to which you belong will be displayed. For example: devel prod FILES
Contains group information. Contains user information. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1) Functions: initgroups(3), setgroups(2) groups(1)