Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange permission issue on Linux server. Post 303003604 by mohtashims on Sunday 17th of September 2017 03:14:35 AM
Old 09-17-2017
RedHat Strange permission issue on Linux server.

Starting
Code:
sendmail

throws this error:

Quote:
Sep 17 06:56:06 techx make[23857]: makemap: error opening type hash map access.db: Executable files not allowed
I decided to see the permission on the files under /etc/mail and this is the output:

Code:
[root@techx mail]# ls -ltr
total 284
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  1847 Jan 27  2014 virtusertable
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root   127 Jan 27  2014 trusted-users
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root    92 Jan 27  2014 Makefile
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  2700 Jan 27  2014 make
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root   997 Jan 27  2014 mailertable
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root   233 Jan 27  2014 domaintable
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root   724 Sep 12 18:13 access
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 12288 Sep 12 18:13 access.db
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root  1041 Jun  9  2014 submit.mc

On my dev server development_techx this works perfectly fine so i decided to compare the permission of the dev which shows

Code:
[root@development_techx mail]# ls -ltr
total 440
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1847 Jan 27  2014 virtusertable
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   127 Jan 27  2014 trusted-users
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    92 Jan 27  2014 Makefile
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  2700 Jan 27  2014 make
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   997 Jan 27  2014 mailertable
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    64 Jan 27  2014 local-host-names
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   724 Sep 12 18:13 access
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12288 Sep 12 18:13 access.db
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  1041 Jun  9  2014 submit.mc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 41680 Jun  9  2014 submit.cf

Do you see the difference ?

The problem with techx server is all the files have permission which hows a (.) a (dot) at the end of the permissions when you fire the ls -ltr command which we do not see on development_techx as you can see below.

wrong vs right

-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 724 Sep 12 18:13 access vs -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 724 Sep 12 18:13 access

I had used chmod -R 755 /etc/mail command for changing permission on both the servers.

So why do i see the difference or the (.) in the end and how can i resolve this difference ?

Last edited by mohtashims; 09-17-2017 at 06:08 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange Number comparison issue

Hi, I am comparing two numbers, but it gives strange results: My Code: if then echo "True" else echo "False" fi This code gives False for the follwoing comparison where as True for the following: Any reason for this? Both Should have given False... I am using... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
9 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

root Password ... strange issue

hi there , :cool: um facing a problem with my root passwd i want to set my root password and when i do i get the following :: # # passwd passwd: Changing password for root New Password: Re-enter new Password: passwd(SYSTEM): They don't match. Please try again New Password:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrali
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange issue

I have created a server monitor program in Java that connects to servers via SSH and constantly refreshes the new server load every 3 mins. The problem is that even though it is a Java app running shell commands to get the load info, the commands still appear in 'history'. The question is.. is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AndrewSH
1 Replies

4. Web Development

Strange Mysql issue

Hi all, I recently changed the name of my hostname from 'abc123' to 'abc456' (as an example). I then added a user in my mysql database with the new host and removed references to the old users and hostname. The strange thing is though, a process using the database still uses the old... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

/bin strange permission, corrupted? [solved]

Hi I think my /bin is corrupted which is why I can’t boot my server.. Anyone knows what below file permission means? # ls -l /mnt/sysimage | grep bin drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12288 Sep 29 11:23 sbin ?r--rw-x 41112 16694 1305152 0 Feb 10 2055 bin Tried overwriting, deleting,chmod,chown but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange Issue with document upload through Web server

Hi , I am hosting a website where in users log into their account and upload documents. The website is hosted on a Apache web server(4 nodes) sitting on RHEL VM's and load balanced by radware. The issue i am facing is that the documents that are uploaded through the web site sometimes show... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour on my Linux Server.

Hi, I keep getting this error when i run my script: No matter how many times i run this rm -rf /siebel/sfs/tmp/dump it succeeds when i expect it only the first time to succeed becoz i expect the second to fail as the directory should be gone in the first run. i had earlier mentioned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Issue with sendmail

more works.sh #!/bin/ksh { print "From: reportgenerator@myserver.com" print "To: randomguy@myfirm.com" print "MIME-Version: 1.0" print "Content-Type: text/html" print "Subject: Disk Report" print "<body>" print "<table border=1>" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. AIX

Strange issue installing Java 8

I just intalled java8_64.jre and .sdk respectively installp -agXYd . Java8_64.jre Java8_64.sdk 2>&1 | tee installp.log Worked like a champ. Now I see this-- jeff@server:/usr> ls -l | grep java drwxr-xr-x 9 bin bin 512 Sep 22 2010 java14 drwxr-xr-x 7 bin bin ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with email sent from Linux server

I have written a shell script to send email to users with message body and attachment. Message body has registered symbol. But when I receive the email, registered trademark symbol has a special character prefixed and appears carlington work® whereas I am expecting to see only carlington work® .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo87
3 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)