Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sequential Reading from two file in a loop Post 303001799 by wbport on Friday 11th of August 2017 11:08:36 AM
Old 08-11-2017
Have you tried the paste command?
Code:
paste file1.txt file2.txt

The output will be from the same line number from each file separated with a tab unless you choose some other character. The output can be piped or redirected like other unix commands.
Code:
ccc\t333
bbb\t222
aaa\t111

This User Gave Thanks to wbport For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reading special characters while converting sequential file to line sequential

We have to convert a sequential file to a 80 char line sequential file (HP UX platform).The sequential file contains special characters. which after conversion of the file to line sequential are getting coverted into "new line" or "tab" and file is getting distorted. Is there any way to read these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make a loop base on reading a file?

To make it clearer: I have a file, List.txt List.txt contains: (these are actually splitted files w/c I got from ls command and dump them to the List.txt file) SAMPLEa SAMPLEb SAMPLEc SAMPLEd SAMPLEe SAMPLEf . . . . . And I want to rename these files to have a .dat extension.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnBalayo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not access variable outside loop when a reading a file

I am writing a shell script using the korn shell. It seems that I am only able to use local variables within a while loop that is reading a file. (I can't access a variable outside a previously used while loop.) It's been a while since I wrote shell scripts. Here is a sample cat file.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

4. AIX

How to pause a while loop while reading from a file

Hi, I am building a script to grep for a string in all the files from a folder and display the results. I am reading the files one by one by placing the names in other file using while loop my code is as below while read inp do chk=`grep -c "$str" $pth/$inp` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Status 92 reading a sequential file

Hi. I have a process that execute a Microfocus Cobol. This process read a large sequential file and update or insert in a table Oracle. This process run smoothly in some ocasions but in a file whor have more than 400,000 registers, the cobol program doesn't finish read all the records,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hornam
3 Replies

6. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

7. Hardware

checking non sequential reading/writing of hard drive

what command check that? Does it depend in the time it take to access the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop is not reading tabs from the file

Hi, I am on HP-UX and K shell. When I am using while/for loop for reading a file. It is working fine but not reading tabs: Suppose, if the line is: ; ;COMP; ; ; ; then loop is reading as ; ;COMP; ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading the values from a file in C Shell for loop

Hi All, I need small help on for loop syntax in C shell. How can we read the values from a file (line by line) through C shell loop. For Ex: $Cat file1 data1 data2 data3 data4 $ I have to print those values in a variable and have to perform some steps... Can anyone help on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing \r and \n during reading file through while loop

Hi, I am writing in a file through cat command. This file will contain the path of file along with filename. e.g. /home/user/folder1/folder2/filename.txt There might be very large number of this path in same file like say 140 when I try to run while command: while read -r file do //command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pulkit Lall
8 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)