Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Chaining together exec within find Post 302999297 by Corona688 on Friday 16th of June 2017 02:26:47 PM
Old 06-16-2017
I still don't understand what that tar command is intended to do.

What filename is it supposed to create, and where?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find and exec

Hi, Happy new year. Would you be so kind to explain me what does this instruction : find /rep/app -type l -exec ls -l {} \;> allink.lst Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

query about find and -exec

Hi, i have query about "find" command. Do I need to put the command after -exec in single quotes? Why? For ex. see output of these three find commands. Any explanations? cheers, -Ashish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

| with find -exec

can we use |(pipe operator) with find -exec.....? or can pipe the output of find command to another command...? if not, why...? pls explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using MV FIND and -EXEC

Hi, i would like to rename files in directories and subdirs. Files contains specific french or strange caracters. I want to replace all non alpha-numerics by _ (underscore) First, i made this, but i think the "for" is limited. How can i do this directly by FIND ? for file in $(find .... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: degraff63
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Exec

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Find and exec

Hello, I am a linux newbe. I want to install a program. I can download it only with wget command from internet. As far as i know this wget command does not transfer the exacutable flags. Because of that i wanted to find all configure files and change their mod to 744. I found this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: disconnectus
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Find and EXEC

This is a huge issue. and I need it fixed ASAP. account-system gate-system race_traffic_sensor achievement-system global race_voicepack admin glue-system realdriveby admin-system gps realism-system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: austech360
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 exec in find

Guys, I want to find the log files greather than 23 days and i want to perform 2 things here. one is to list the files and second is to gzip the files. hope this can be done using sh -c option. but not sure the exact command. find . -name "*.log" -mtime +23 -exec ls -la {} \; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
5 Replies
chroot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot newroot command DESCRIPTION
The chroot utility causes command to be executed relative to newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes (/) in the path names is changed to newroot for command and any of its child processes. Upon execution, the initial working directory is newroot. Notice that redirecting the output of command to a file, chroot newroot command >x will create the file x relative to the original root of command, not the new one. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a chroot is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command can be run only by the super-user. RETURN VALUES
The exit status of chroot is the return value of command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the chroot Utility The chroot utility provides an easy way to extract tar files (see tar(1)) written with absolute filenames to a different location. It is necessary to copy the shared libraries used by tar (see ldd(1)) to the newroot filesystem. example# mkdir /tmp/lib; cd /lib example# cp ld.so.1 libc.so.1 libcmd.so.1 libdl.so.1 libsec.so.1 /tmp/lib example# cp /usr/bin/tar /tmp example# dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | chroot /tmp tar xvf - ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), tar(1), chroot(2), ttyname(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Exercise extreme caution when referencing device files in the new root file system. References by routines such as ttyname(3C) to stdin, stdout, and stderr will find that the device associated with the file descriptor is unknown after chroot is run. SunOS 5.11 15 Dec 2003 chroot(1M)