Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Has AudioScope found a bug in bash 4.4.5? Post 302998751 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 6th of June 2017 07:26:02 PM
Old 06-06-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
There's only two "predefined", as it were:
  • 0: Success
  • 127: Killed via interrupt. Highest possible return code.

Anything else can mean whatever error you want it to mean. Some specific programs might have a traditional meaning for certain codes, but since audioscope is not any of those specific traditional programs, it doesn't matter.
By convention, there are five classes of exit codes:
Code:
0		success
1-125		unspecified failure of some type
126		utility to be invoked found, but is not executable
127		utility to be invoked not found
128+signo	process terminated or stopped by signal number sig

The standards require the 0 exit status to mean successful termination for most standard utilities. And they require 126 and 127 as described above for the command, env, nice, nohup, time, and xargs utilities. A process killed by a signal will exit with the above mentioned exit status, but there is nothing that keeps a process from exiting with an exit code greater than 128 (up to 255) even if it was not terminated by a signal.

On UNIX systems, a process killed by a SIGTERM signal would exit with exit code 143 and a process killed by a SIGKILL signal would exit with exit code 137. On other systems, the standards do not specify the signal numbers assigned to the various signals defined by the standards.

As always, there are exceptions to these conventions. (For example, the false utility's successful exit code is an unspecified non-zero value; not 0.)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Have I found a bug?

When searching for new posts, I see that my voting in one of the polls counts as a 'new post'. However, while the '<blah> minutes ago' entry updates correctly, the 'by <username>' is the last user to actually post a comment in the poll instead. Result: Poll: vB Guest Book 39... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash-function with array acting bizarre, bug?

Hello, basically what this script is supposed to do is showing a list of hosts that is given a number, that you will be able to choose from a list. A check is made to verify that the chosen number is within the array and this is where things go bad and I don't know why, bizarre. I've spent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gand
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command not found bug

foreach x ( *.foo) echo "move file?" set move=$< if($move == y) then echo "enter new pathname:" set path=$< mv $x $path/$x endif end ok guys, im creating this script so i can move files with *.foo extensions and *.bar... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash:vi:command not found

I downloaded and installed "Cygwin yesterday onto my PC running Windows XP. When I tried to type "vi" in Cygwin's window, I got the following message bash: vi: Command not found What shud i do inorder to get into vi editor Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Im new to bash scriping and i found this expression on a bash script what does this mean.

# check host value regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' if ')" != "" ]; then if ]; then echo host $host not found exit 4 fi elif ]; then echo $host is an invalid host address exit 5 fi espeacailly the top regex part? ---------- Post updated at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevin298
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash-3.2$: not found

I am wondering if someone can help me out. I am new to oracle and given a task to install Oracle 11g on Solaris. I am running into some major problems since last week since I can't seem to get it to work. I can't start GUI, tried different blogs but no luck. Then, I decided to install it in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newborndba
4 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

AudioScope...

Boy oh boy, with only a MONO mic input to use AudioScope gets much more difficult when the ALTDC board is included. It needs, so far, two hits at the MIC input with a single hit at the HEADPHONE audio output. The first at the highest practical resolution for the AC component and the second... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

AudioScope Project.

AudioScope Project. (Apologies for any typos.) For the few following...... AudioScope.sh... Now at Version 0.60.00. Well this baby has come a long way since its inception in January 2013. It is now at Version 0.60.00. It is MUCH more Apple centric now with a new OSX Sierra minimum _silent_... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
7 Replies
KILL(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - send a signal to a process SYNOPSIS
kill [ -signal | -s signal ] pid ... kill [ -L | -V, --version ] kill -l [ signal ] DESCRIPTION
The default signal for kill is TERM. Use -l or -L to list available signals. Particularly useful signals include HUP, INT, KILL, STOP, CONT, and 0. Alternate signals may be specified in three ways: -9 -SIGKILL -KILL. Negative PID values may be used to choose whole process groups; see the PGID column in ps command output. A PID of -1 is special; it indicates all processes except the kill process itself and init. SIGNALS
The signals listed below may be available for use with kill. When known constant, numbers and default behavior are shown. Name Num Action Description 0 0 n/a exit code indicates if a signal may be sent ALRM 14 exit HUP 1 exit INT 2 exit KILL 9 exit cannot be blocked PIPE 13 exit POLL exit PROF exit TERM 15 exit USR1 exit USR2 exit VTALRM exit STKFLT exit might not be implemented PWR ignore might exit on some systems WINCH ignore CHLD ignore URG ignore TSTP stop might interact with the shell TTIN stop might interact with the shell TTOU stop might interact with the shell STOP stop cannot be blocked CONT restart continue if stopped, otherwise ignore ABRT 6 core FPE 8 core ILL 4 core QUIT 3 core SEGV 11 core TRAP 5 core SYS core might not be implemented EMT core might not be implemented BUS core core dump might fail XCPU core core dump might fail XFSZ core core dump might fail NOTES
Your shell (command line interpreter) may have a built-in kill command. You may need to run the command described here as /bin/kill to solve the conflict. EXAMPLES
kill -9 -1 Kill all processes you can kill. kill -l 11 Translate number 11 into a signal name. kill -L List the available signal choices in a nice table. kill 123 543 2341 3453 Send the default signal, SIGTERM, to all those processes. SEE ALSO
pkill(1), skill(1), kill(2), renice(1), nice(1), signal(7), killall(1). STANDARDS
This command meets appropriate standards. The -L flag is Linux-specific. AUTHOR
Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> wrote kill in 1999 to replace a bsdutils one that was not standards compliant. The util-linux one might also work correctly. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux November 21, 1999 KILL(1)