Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Best way to copy 4Tb of data from one filesystem to another Post 302998042 by Peasant on Wednesday 24th of May 2017 12:15:39 PM
Old 05-24-2017
Do it on a block level if you can.

Use zfs send / receive using netcat (the data stream is not encrypted over network).
It really versatile, poor man enterprise level file system replication, features matching expensive storage arrays.

For local stuff, mirror the pool and use zpool split.
If you are using SVM, mirror, remove from mirror, use the copy.

Using cp/rsync on large number of files is bound to take longer on same hardware.

Alternatively, you can use dd as well if you want entire disks, but it's a one time crude operation and long requires downtime on source.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Filesystem Copy

Hi, Fairly new to the Unix worldand was wonderig without using tar and cp is there another way to copy files from one filesystem to a mount point but preserving all data, time stamp etc.. Cheers, :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monkey007
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy, clear and keep to new data only

I have an Ingres database logfile that grows constantly, iircp.log. It is always "attached" to the Ingres process that uses it, and I do not want to screw up the data. I have been copying it to another directory and then using vi on the original to reduce the size 34000 lines at a time. What I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarge
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy unix filesystem to windows

Hi all Is there a way to copy a unix filesystem (folders, subfolder and files) to windows (AD) and at the same time maintaine the unix permission (user/group) when copied to windows (AD) filesystem? I want the same permission in windows as I had in unix in one copy job. Is this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjen
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will moving data from one filesystem to another affect current software installation

Here we have concern. We have a IBM software installed in a server S1 in the location : /opt/IBM. In this server S1, we have /opt file system in local disk. We don't have any option to increase the file system there. We have created a separate /opt/IBM_NEW file system with 10GB in S1 server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
1 Replies

5. Solaris

copy data from one old filesystem to newfilesystem

Hi gurus I configured raid 5 volume n ive created a filesystem and mounted it to a directory also...everythin is ready..the purpose of doing it is to move my data from an old filesystem pin02 to the newly created filesystem pin02_new...plz tel me the steps to move data without any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madanmeer
10 Replies

6. Hardware

How to connect a 4TB G-Raid hard drive to a laptop?

I am having trouble connecting my 4TB G-Raid Hard drive to my Compaq Hp laptop can anyone tell me how or what I need in order to connect the 4T and getting it working. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jake Wolf
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Copy data over a TB

Hi All, We are not able to grow a UFS filesystem since its size will be going over a TB and it wasn't created using -T with newfs. Hence we have decided to take the backup of all the files on another filesystem and recreate it using -T with newfs. Please recommend the most reliable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalaswani
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and paste data

I need to copy from specified lines and paste the data into several other lines. XX123450008 xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x XX123451895 xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x ...... XX123452012 xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x xx.x... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
13 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem usage discrepancy after "copy"

I have a query someone may be able to shed some light on... We have a Solaris 10 OS Sun V490 server Sparc. I have a SAN attached EMC Clarrion LUN which we have app data stored on. Pseudo name=emcpower0a CLARiiON ID=CK200070300470 Due to storage requirements - I need to migrate this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ru4n1
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Errors received while restoring my data from ext3 filesystem

Hi All, I have dual boot on my laptop - Win8 And linuxMint. From linuxmint i had copied all my data found on the NTFS partitions (on my laptop) to an external hard drive (formatted with ext3). i used rsync for this. Now after my hard disk crashed, am restoring the data back from ext3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies
metaoffline(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   metaoffline(1M)

NAME
metaoffline, metaonline - place submirrors offline and online SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metaoffline -h /usr/sbin/metaoffline [-s setname] [-f] mirror submirror /usr/sbin/metaonline -h /usr/sbin/metaonline [-s setname] mirror submirror DESCRIPTION
The metaoffline command prevents Solaris Volume Manager from reading and writing to the submirror that has been taken offline. While the submirror is offline, all writes to the mirror will be kept track of (by region) and will be written when the submirror is brought back online. The metaoffline command can also be used to perform online backups: one submirror is taken offline and backed up while the mirror remains accessible. (However, if this is a two-way mirror, data redundancy is lost while one submirror is offline.) The metaoffline command differs from the metadetach command because it does not sever the logical association between the submirror and the mirror. To completely remove a submirror from a mirror, use the metadetach command. A submirror that has been taken offline will only remain offline until the metaonline command is invoked or the system is rebooted. When the metaonline command is used, reading from and writing to the submirror resumes. A resync is automatically invoked to resync the regions written while the submirror was offline. Writes are directed to the submirror during resync. Reads, however, will come from a dif- ferent submirror. Once the resync operation completes, reads and writes are performed on that submirror. The metaonline command is only effective on a submirror of a mirror that has been taken offline. The metaoffline and metaonline commands can not be used on RAID 1 volumes in application-based recovery (ABR) mode. A submirror that has been taken offline with the metaoffline command can only be mounted as read-only. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -f Forces offlining of submirrors that have slices requiring maintenance. -h Displays usage message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metaoffline and metaonline will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its func- tion on local metadevices. mirror Specifies the metadevice name of the mirror from which the submirror will be either taken offline or put online. submirror Specifies the metadevice name of the submirror to be either taken offline or put online. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Taking a Submirror Offline This example takes one submirror, mymirror_sub1, offline from mirror mymirror. # metaoffline mymirror mymirror_sub1 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) NOTES
The metaonline and metaoffline commands are not applicable to mirrors in application-based recovery (ABR) mode. SunOS 5.11 26 Mar 2006 metaoffline(1M)