Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newbie help - parsing through a file Post 302997244 by bakunin on Wednesday 10th of May 2017 07:46:43 AM
Old 05-10-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokhtar
Now I just need an inverse of that too - e.g. remove any lines that does NOT have "new" in it.
This is amazingly easy: just remove the -v option from the grep:

Code:
grep -iv new  /some/file       # output all lines NOT having "new" in them
grep -i  new  /some/file       # output all lines having "new" in them

In general: look at the man page of commands you are not sure about:

Code:
man grep         # displays the man page for grep

Unlike Windozw, where "help" is trying to tell you things you don't want to know using methods you detest to reach goals you are not after in first place (the usual modus operandi) the man pages of UNIX systems are for reference - they will not teach you things you don't know, but if you need a detail you can be sure to find it there. This goes especially for options to commands and what they do.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file

Hi, I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balaji
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding & Moving Oldest File by Parsing/Sorting Date Info in File Names

I'm trying to write a script that will look in an /exports folder for the oldest export file and move it to a /staging folder. "Oldest" in this case is actually determined by date information embedded in the file names themselves. Also, the script should only move a file from /exports to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikosey
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for parsing details in a log file to a seperate file

Hi Experts, Im a new bee for scripting, I would ned to do the following via linux shell scripting, I have an application which throws a log file, on each action of a particular work with the application, as sson as the action is done, the log file would vanish or stops updating there, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingnagan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file, yaml file? Extracting specific sections

Here is a data file, which I believe is in YAML. I am trying to retrieve just the 'addon_domains" section, which doesnt seem to be as easy as I had originally thought. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!! I have been trying to do this in awk and mostly bash scripting instead of perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhije
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Array - Newbie

Hello, I'm a newbie to the world of programming and so i decided to learn perl. I'm working on a project that telnets into a Cisco router and eliminates a specific line but i can't seem to get the thing to work. I dump the output into an array but i'm having a difficult time looking for the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xmaverick
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for help with parsing file contents in bash [newbie]

Hi I'm just messing around with bash and trying to learn it because I have a course next semester dealing with OS design where we need to know how to use SSH client and either bash or ksh. I've never done shell scripting before. I just started today and I was wondering how parsing files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehungry
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Newbie needs to find file

I need to find a file using Applescript. Applescript is so slow. Someone on the Apple forums gave me some unix code and it works for the most part. The ls command is really list and not find but when it works, it returns the path to the file instantly, NOT 45 seconds Applescript takes. here is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
11 Replies
RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV(3pm)

NAME
RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV - Export RDF data to CSV VERSION
This document describes RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV version 1.000 SYNOPSIS
use RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV; DESCRIPTION
The RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV class provides an API for serializing RDF data to CSV strings and files. METHODS
"new ( sep_char => $sep_char, quote => $bool )" Returns a new RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV object. If $sep_char is provided, it is used as the separator character in CSV serialization, otherwise a comma (",") is used. "serialize_iterator_to_file ( $file, $iterator )" Serializes the bindings objects produced by $iterator, printing the results to the supplied filehandle "<$fh">. "serialize_iterator_to_string ( $iterator )" Serializes the bindings objects produced by $iterator, returning the result as a string. BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to through the GitHub web interface at <https://github.com/kasei/perlrdf/issues>. AUTHOR
Gregory Todd Williams "<gwilliams@cpan.org>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2012 Gregory Todd Williams. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-29 RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV(3pm)