Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex to hunt for a string in the right hand column Post 302995176 by Don Cragun on Sunday 2nd of April 2017 11:38:44 PM
Old 04-03-2017
With your sample data contained in a file named database.txt, any of the following commands:
Code:
grep '^[^-]*=.*-' database.txt

Code:
awk '/^[^-]*=.*-' database.txt

Code:
sed -n '/^[^-]*=.*-/p' database.txt

produce the output:
Code:
huckleberry=ˈhʌkəl-bəriː
huddling=ˈhʌd-lɪŋ
huffish=ˈhʌ-fɪʃ
hulling=ˈhʌ-lɪŋ
human=ˈhjuː-mən
humanitarian=hjuːˌ-mænɪˈteərɪyən
humanitarianism=hjuːˌ-mænɪˈteərɪənɪzəm
humanitarians=hjuːˌ-mænɪˈteərɪyənz
humbler=ˈhʌmb-lər
humblest=ˈhʌmb-lest
humbling=ˈhʌmb-lɪŋ
humid=ˈhjuː-mɪd
humourless=ˈhjuːmər-læs
hunchback=ˈhʌnʧ-bæk
hunchbacks=ˈhʌnʧ-bæks
hundredfold=ˈhʌndred-fold

As always, without knowing what utility will be using a regular expression, we don't know the type of regular expression nor how that RE will need to be delimited to get the results you want.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the most left hand string ??

Hi, I remember once seeing a way to get the left most string in a word. Let's say: a="First.Second.Third" (separated by dot) echo ${a#*.} shows --> Second.Third echo ${a##*.} shows --> Third How do I get the the left most string "First" Or "First.Second" ??? Tried to replace #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfortes
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex on first string in a variable.

Hi all, this is driving me nuts. I need to evaluate if a variable in a shell script has a heading s or m character e.g. s92342394 or m9233489 if so then I need to get rid of them. I'm quite familiar with PERL and could do it there in 3 mins but I have not found a decent way to do this in a shell.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Endo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace if regex on specific column matches expression?

I am attempting to convert rewrite rules to Nginx, and since due to the mass amount of rewrites we must convert, I've been trying to write a script to help me on a specific part, easily. So far I have this: rewrite ^action/static/(+)/$ staticPage.php?pg=$1&%$query_string; What I want done... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EXT3FSCK
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering out duplicate substrings, regex string from a string

My input contains a single word lines. From each line data.txt prjtestBlaBlatestBlaBla prjthisBlaBlathisBlaBla prjthatBlaBladpthatBlaBla prjgoodBlaBladpgoodBlaBla prjgood1BlaBla123dpgood1BlaBla123 Desired output --> data_out.txt prjtestBlaBla prjthisBlaBla... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use regex on particular column (Removing comma from particular column)?

Hi, I have pipe separated file which contains some data having comma(,) in it. I want to remove the comma(,) only from particular column without changing data in other columns. Below is the sample data file, I want to remove the comma(,) only from 5th column. $ cat file1 ABC | DEF, HIJ|... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with regex containing one string but not the other

Hi to you all, I'm just struggling with a regex problem and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing sth obvious... :confused: I need a regex to feed my grep in order to find lines that contain one string but not the other. Here's the data example: 2015-04-08 19:04:55,926|xxxxxxxxxx| ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stresing
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Replace Specific Column using RegEx

Have Pipe Delimited File: > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|518 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE BAXTER|3/30/2015|2233 MockingBird RD|ROW2On 3rd column where the address is located, I want to add a space after every numeric value - basically doing a "s//&\ / ": > BRYAN BAKER|4/4/2015|5 1 8 VIRGINIA AVE|TEST > JOE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex matching column awk

Hi all, I want to extract rows with the pattern ALPHANUMERIC/ALPHANUMNERIC in the 2nd column. I dont wan rows with more than 1 slash or without any slash in 2nd column. a a/b b a/b/c c a/b//c d t/y e r f /f I came up with the regex grep '\/$' file a a/b b a/b/c d t/y (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)