Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script termination without pressing Enter key[nohup] Post 302994862 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 28th of March 2017 08:03:36 PM
Old 03-28-2017
How has the shell variable home_ been defined?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pressing backspace key simulates enter key

Hi, Whenever i press the backspace key, a new line appears, i.e. it works like a enter key. :confused: Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

using enter key in shell script

without pressing the enter key ..manually... how can we read the enter key ..from the shell script..so that the script termintes automatically. eg: telnet a.b.c.d xxxx now " how to read the enter key" tho terminate the script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing Enter key inside in shell script

for automating telnet using shell script..... as we enter alphabetic characters inside shell script...how can we do the same for the enter key......Is there any character for the enter key so the enter key need not be pressed manually...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to catch ENTER key inside the shell script?

Hi, I have a script in which i have to ask user to press the ENTER key to proceed further. can you please help me how can i achive this in my scripting? echo "All the executables builded Successfully " echo " Press Enter to Go Back to the Main Menu" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plaban.rout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pressing Enter (bash)

Hey, I'm writing this BASH script, I recently started learning BASH after I did Java and I'm pretty new to the syntax. Anways, what I want to do is simple, I coudn't find the right information though: Let's say I make a : read -p "Press ENTER to go back to menu" choice ..... What is... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yakuzan
34 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simulating enter key via shell script

How to simulate enter key via shell script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enter a return key in bash script?

Hi, I'm porting an install script from AIX to Red Hat (2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP) I have this script working in both AIX and HP-UX. The script is a wrapper for a Micro Focus Server Express install program. It responds to the install program questions with a here-now list. Responses includes... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: duker61
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pressing enter and script still goes on

i have a bash shell script and i press enter and the script still continues on? how do i stop this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to write a command that keeps pressing enter key in regular interval

Hi, I m new to linux, can you pls help me to write a command/ script that keeps pressing the enter key in regular interval. Thx, Linux1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mylinux1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - start search by using search button or by pressing the enter key

#Build label and text box $main->Label( -text => "Input string below:" )->pack(); $main->Entry( -textvariable => \$text456 )->pack(); $main->Button( -text => "Search", -command => sub { errchk ($text456) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
4 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)