Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file Post 302993776 by cmccabe on Tuesday 14th of March 2017 09:12:01 AM
Old 03-14-2017
@Don Cragun
I am trying to understand your code and thought I did but after it executes there is no output. I only modified the last line as I thought that was why there was no output, but it appears I was mistaken. I also tried to add the "_" (in bold). Thank you Smilie.

Code:
linesToSkip=2   # skip lines 1 and 2
{	for((i = 1; i <= linesToSkip; i++))   # start at line 3
	do	read   # read lines 3,4,5
	done   # stop

while read -r new_name && %s\"_"\n && read -ru4 old_name   # read metrics.txt in variable
	do	mv "$old_name" "$new_name"   copy orignal metrics.txt 3 times
	done   # stop
} < /home/cmccabe/Desktop/QC/test/metrics.txt 4< /home/cmccabe/Desktop/QC/analysis.txt   # rename each metrics.txt using lines 3,4,5 of analysis.txt

/home/cmccabe/Desktop/QC/test/metrics.txt - tab-delimeted, always two lines - this is the file that is copied 3 times and renamed always using lines 3,4,5 of /home/cmccabe/Desktop/QC/analysis.txt

Code:
R_Index	ISP Loading	Pre-Enrichment	Total Reads	Read Length	Key Signal	Usable Sequence	Enrichment	Polyclonal	Low Quality	Test Fragment	Aligned Bases	Unaligned Bases	Exception
1	89	.	78402052	201	77	61	98.6	29.2	10.4	79	98.8	1.2

/home/cmccabe/Desktop/QC/analysis.txt

Code:
analysis done using v1.5 by cmccabe at 02/08/17 12:19:08 PM
patients analyzed:
00-0000_Last-First
11-1111_LastName-FirstName
22-2222_LastLastName-FirstFirstName

desired output in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/QC/test

Code:
00-0000_Last-First_metrics.txt
11-1111_LastName-FirstName_metrics.txt
22-2222_LastLastName-FirstFirstName_metrics.txt

Last edited by cmccabe; 03-14-2017 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename file based on first 3 characters of data in file

I'm looking to determine if I can use a grep command to read file and rename the file based on the first 3 characters of the data in the file. An example is: Read FileA If the first 3 positions of the data in the file are "ITP", then rename the file as FileA_ITP, else if the first 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jchappel
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/rename file as date() unix/shell

File.jpg I want to copy and rename this as 2008-12-02.jpg I tried this copy File.jpg date '%y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S'.jpg This doesnt work.... what do i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hdogg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy 1 file 5000 times and Rename each +1

Hi, Found lots of stuff that is close but no cigar... I have a file ie. a.txt, and I want to copy it to another directory 5000 times and call it: a1.txt a2.txt ... a5000.txt Struggling to put a loop together in this new world of AIX. please include full script for me to understand... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terry2009
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy and rename file..

hi all, I have one config folder and updates folder.updates folder contains file tmp_2.0_20201208_45.xml and config folder contains file tmp.xml.When the tmp_2.0_20201208_45.xml file is copied in the config folder the name of this file is changed in config folder again as tmp.xml(old... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

.sh file To rename existing file and copy new file

Hi All, I am very new to shell scripting . In my current task i want to create .sh file that will rename the existing file with appending _bu in it. And then copy new file . e.g if i have file linuxFirst.java then i want to rename it to linuxFirst_bu.java ..Then want replace with latest... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maheshkaranjkar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename portion of file based on another file

Hello, I've been searching and reading, but I can't figure out how to solve this problem with my newbie skills. In my directory, I have a list of files (see dirlist.txt attachment) that I need to merge and rename. I have part of the code of the code figured out (see below). However, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjulka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy range of lines in a file based on keywords from another file

Hi Guys, I have the following problem. I have original file (org.txt) that looks like this module v_1(.....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_2(....) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module v_3(...) //arbitrary number of text lines endmodule module... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in writitng a script to rename file name and copy to other folder

Hi All, My requirement is as follows: A file (say abc) will be having list of the .txt file names. I need to read this abc file line by line and rename the .txt file names inside it and move them to other folder/path. Eg: abc ------- file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Output (should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pavan.yadalla
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Copy based on file receive date

I have bunch of files in my source folder like below and every day based on date I am receiving file ex: Nov 28,Nov 29,Nov 30 ... -rw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 20 Nov 27 06:00 aaaa27.txt -rw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 20 Nov 28 06:00 aaaa28.txt -rw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 20 Nov 29 06:00 aaaa29.txt I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krish2014
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
PMDABASH(1)						      General Commands Manual						       PMDABASH(1)

NAME
pmdabash - Bourne-Again SHell trace performance metrics domain agent SYNOPSIS
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/pmdabash [-C] [-d domain] [-l logfile] [-I interval] [-t timeout] [-U username] configfile DESCRIPTION
pmdabash is an experimental Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports "xtrace" events from a traced bash(1) process. This includes the command execution information that would usually be sent to standard error with the set -x option to the shell. Event metrics are exported showing each command executed, the function name and line number in the script, and a timestamp. Additionally, the process identifier for the shell and its parent process are exported. This requires bash version 4 or later. A brief description of the pmdabash command line options follows: -d It is absolutely crucial that the performance metrics domain number specified here is unique and consistent. That is, domain should be different for every PMDA on the one host, and the same domain number should be used for the same PMDA on all hosts. -l Location of the log file. By default, a log file named bash.log is written in the current directory of pmcd(1) when pmdabash is started, i.e. $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd. If the log file cannot be created or is not writable, output is written to the standard error instead. -s Amount of time (in seconds) between subsequent evaluations of the shell trace file descriptor(s). The default is 2 seconds. -m Maximum amount of memory to be allowed for each event queue (one per traced process). The default is 2 megabytes. -U User account under which to run the agent. The default is the unprivileged "pcp" account in current versions of PCP, but in older versions the superuser account ("root") was used by default. INSTALLATION
In order for a host to export the names, help text and values for the bash performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Install As soon as an instrumented shell script (see INSTRUMENTATION selection below) is run, with tracing enabled, new metric values will appear - no further setup of the agent is required. If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash # ./Remove pmdabash is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. INSTRUMENTATION
In order to allow the flow of event data between a bash(1) script and pmdabash, the script should take the following actions: #!/bin/sh source $PCP_DIR/etc/pcp.sh pcp_trace on $@ # enable tracing echo "awoke, $count" pcp_trace off # disable tracing The tracing can be enabled and disabled any number of times by the script. On successful installation of the agent, several metrics will be available: $ pminfo bash bash.xtrace.numclients bash.xtrace.maxmem bash.xtrace.queuemem bash.xtrace.count bash.xtrace.records bash.xtrace.parameters.pid bash.xtrace.parameters.parent bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno bash.xtrace.parameters.function bash.xtrace.parameters.command When an instrumented script is running, the generation of event records can be verified using the pmevent(1) command, as follows: $ pmevent -t 1 -x '' bash.xtrace.records host: localhost samples: all bash.xtrace.records["4538 ./test-trace.sh 1 2 3"]: 5 event records 10:00:05.000 --- event record [0] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 43 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "true" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [1] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 45 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "(( count++ ))" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [2] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 46 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "echo 'awoke, 3'" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [3] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 47 bash.xtrace.parameters.command "tired 2" 10:00:05.000 --- event record [4] flags 0x19 (point,id,parent) --- bash.xtrace.parameters.pid 4538 bash.xtrace.parameters.parent 4432 bash.xtrace.parameters.lineno 38 bash.xtrace.parameters.function "tired" bash.xtrace.parameters.command "sleep 2" FILES
$PCP_PMCDCONF_PATH command line options used to launch pmdabash $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/help default help text file for the bash metrics $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Install installation script for the pmdabash agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bash/Remove undo installation script for pmdabash $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bash.log default log file for error messages and other information from pmdabash PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
bash(1), pmevent(1) and pmcd(1). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMDABASH(1)