Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issues with using sed with word delimiters \< and \> Post 302993498 by escooter87 on Friday 10th of March 2017 11:45:32 AM
Old 03-10-2017
Issues with using sed with word delimiters \< and \>

sed is not applying /d "delete line" option when I also include match word options \< and \>

examples...
echo cat | sed '/\<cat\>/d'

will return cat for some reason

echo cat | sed "/\<cat\>/d"

will also still return cat.

Of course I can just run this... echo cat | sed '/cat/d' and it will apply delete option to line thus returning nothing.

But I need to match the word exactly.... so any advise of how to get around this?
I'm running on AIX. Same results with with ksh or bash shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to delete string between delimiters

Hi There! I have the following string which i need to convert to i.e. between each occurence of the delimiter ('|' in this case), i need to delete all characters from the '|' to the ':' so that |10,9:12/xxx| becomes |12/xxx| How can i do this using sed? Thanks in advance! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed issues

Hi guys, not that used to using sed beyond the simple substitution. I am trying to check for a program (program1) and if it exists replace the standard output "program1" with a "program1(part1 part2) output if said program exists. SW="program1 program2" PROGRAM_TEST='echo "$SW" | grep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikepegg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in SED and AWK so that it treats consecutive delimiters as one

Hi All, I am trying to cut to do a cut operation, but since there are seems to be more than one deltimiters in some occasion I am not able to get the exact field. Can you please provide an SED and AWK script for treating the source file in such a way that all consecutive delimiters are treated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh.su30
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete string between delimiters with sed

Hi, I need to delete all text between "|" delimiters. The line in text file typically looks like this: 1014182| 13728 -rw-r--r-- 1 imac1 staff 7026127 2 okt 2010 |/Users/imac1/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Various Artists/We Are the World_ U.S.A. for Africa/01 We Are the World.mp3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrejm
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print line starts with specific word and contains specific word using sed?

Hi, I have gone through may posts and dint find exact solution for my requirement. I have file which consists below data and same file have lot of other data. <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='YES' NAME='m_TASK_UPDATE' OBJECTVERSION ='1'> <MAPPING DESCRIPTION ='' ISVALID ='NO'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues with sed on SunOS

Why does the below command doesnt work fine on SunOS 5.10 $ cat t | AK| | | | | DS | | | | tAR | | | | | FIL | $ sed -e 's/^ *//g' -e 's/ *$//g' -e 's/ *| */|/g' t |AK|||||DS|||| tAR|||||FIL| ##notice before tAR works fine on Linux OR AIX though ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues in sed command

I use SMP Tue Aug 18 15:51:48 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux We have a user-defined command called "submit" which will open a vi terminal in which we need to enter the description at 24th line and save it. In order to simplify this, i decided to create another command in which the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a particular word with another word in all the xml's under a particular directory with sed

Hi Folks, Could you please advise what will be the SED command to replace a word in all xml's under a particular directory for example let say I rite now at the following below location $ cd /ter/rap/config now under config directory there will be lots of xml file , now my objective is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - filter blocks between single delimiters matching a pattern

Hi! I have a file with the following format:CDR ... MSISDN=111 ... CDR ... MSISDN=xxx ... CDR ... MSISDN=xxx ... CDR ... MSISDN=111 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Flavius
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a hyphen between two delimiters using sed

Hey guys, I have a file that is delimited by | and I am trying to write a sed command to convert this: abc|def||ghi|jkl||||mnop into this: abc|def|-|ghi|jkl|-|-|-|mnop The output I am getting out of: sed -e "s/+//g" /tmp/opt.del > /tmp/opt2.del is like: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prohank
9 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)