Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script doesn't understand if conditiojn with or Post 302993238 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 7th of March 2017 11:12:56 PM
Old 03-08-2017
@Don, the use of double == in a test command is not part of the POSIX standards. rdrtx1's suggestion is grammatically correct.

See test: operands

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't understand the script

I am relatively new to Shell Scripting. I can't understand the following two scripts. Can someone please spare a minute to explain? 1) content s of file a are (021) 654-1234 sed 's/(//g;s/)//g;s/ /-/g' a 021-654-1234 2)cut -d: -f1,3,7 /etc/passwd |sort -t: +1n gives error (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahdharmit
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand the script

Hi All; Is there anybody can explain this script please? trap 'C_logmsg "F" "CNTL/c OS signal trapped, Script ${G_SCRIPTNAME] terminated"; exit 1' 2 trap 'C_logmsg "F" "Kill Job Event sent from the Console, Script ${G_SCRIPTNAME] terminated"; exit 1' 15 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thankbe
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understand script formte

Hi i have one script and i am running it but not getting current output so i want to understand how to input in the script. when i do help then i am getting below massage thanks got it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Grep doesn't understand escape sequence?

I ran the following grep and sed command. grep "\t" emp.txt sed -n '/\t/p' emp.txt grep treated the '\' as to escape t and took the pattern as literal t whereas sed took the pattern as tab. That means , grep doesn't understand escape sequence!!!!!! what to do to make grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk doesn't understand 'read' statement!!!

While working on awk programming, i found that it doesn't understand 'read' statement. Then what's the use of 'continue' and 'break' statement in awk. For ex: awk '{k=1; while (k<10) {print $0; k++}}' emp.lst Now, please say if I want to put the logic that after priting 1 line, it will ask for... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand this small script

Hi Guys, I need to understand below scipt:- -bash-3.00$ cat rsync-copy.ksh #!/usr/5bin/ksh batch <<%EOF% echo "/usr/local/bin/rsync --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync -a --stats /usr/openv/ /OpenvBCK" > openv.LOG # CG /usr/local/bin/rsync ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand a script

Hello world! Can someone please explain me how this code works? I'ts supposed to find words in a dictionary and show the anagrams of the words. { part = word2key($1) data = $1 } function word2key(word, a, i, x, result) { x = split(word, a, "") asort(a) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jose2802
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand the below shell script

Please help me to understand the below 3 lines of code.execute shell in jenkins 1)APP_IP=$( docker inspect --format '{{ .NetworkSettings.Networks.'"$DOCKER_NETWORK_NAME"'.IPAddress }}' ${PROJECT_NAME_KEY}"-CI" ) 2)HOST_WORKSPACE=$(echo ${WORKSPACE} | sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naresh85
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help me understand this script

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN {i=1;file="modified.txt"} { if ($0 !~ /^DS:/) {print $0 >> file} else { if ($0 ~ /^DS:/) {print "DS: ",i >> file;if (i==8) {i=1} else {i++}}; } } END {gzip file} Can someone explain to me how this above script works, I got it from a friend but not able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)