Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read contains within { and replace the word Post 302992373 by drysdalk on Friday 24th of February 2017 08:59:50 AM
Old 02-24-2017
Hello,

I think I get the gist of what you're saying. What would be useful though would be if you could:

1. Provide an example entry in its original form
2. Provide a modified copy of that entry as you would want it to look afterwards

If you can provide something like that - an entire entry in the form it exists in the file, and a modified example of how you want it to look after your script has run - that would make things easier and clearer in terms of being able to help you come up with a solution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How read and replace Microsoft word in Unix

Hi, I'm newbie in UNIX. I would like to ask how to read a file which in Microsoft word format? Inside the doc file is just a few sentences . "It is a text. Help me with it". and I would like to replace the the word of text to message. I was trying with this for i in `find . -type f -name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tee
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read data word by word from given file & storing in variables

File having data in following format : file name : file.txt -------------------- 111111;name1 222222;name2 333333;name3 I want to read this file so that I can split these into two paramaters i.e. 111111 & name1 into two different variables(say value1 & value2). i.e val1=11111 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjoshi98
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word after a particular word in a file

Hi, I want to replace a word in a file which occurs after a particular word. For example : $cat file.txt CASE WHEN AND c1 = 'I' AND c2= '2' THEN 1 WHEN AND c1= 'I' AND c2= '0' THEN 2 So in this example i want to replace... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a word with another word

Hello Friends, How to substitue with a word by another word in file written in VI Editor. Thanks & Regards Siva Ranganath 7760774961 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranganath
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word in a string starting with another word

Hi All, I have a file in which a number of lines are starting with similar first word but different next words. I want to replace the any nth word(not 1st or 2nd) with another word. Eg:- My file contains are like this:- Ram is a boy. Ram is a good boy. Ram plays cricket. Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshbaranwal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read argument with $ value in the word

Hi i am having a shell script reading two arguments. when the shell script is passed with argument containing $ in it, the value from $ onwards is getting truncated and my script is failing. i have to do in reading the arguments in the shell script only as i am not having control on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duddukuri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a word in all the files (that contain the word) under a directory

Hi Everyone, I am looking for a simple way for replacing all the files under a directory that use the server "xsgd1234dap" with "xsdr3423pap". For Example: In the Directory, $pwd /home/nick $ grep -l "xsgd1234dap" *.sh | wc -l 119 I have "119" files that are still using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a File line by line and split into array word by word

Hi All, Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend I have a scenario where in which I have to read a file line by line and check for few words before redirecting to a file I have searched the forum but,either those answers dint work (perhaps because of my wrong under standing of how IFS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script @ Find a key word and If the key word matches then replace next 7 lines only

Hi All, I have a XML file which is looks like as below. <<please see the attachment >> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <esites> <esite> <name>XXX.com</name> <storeId>10001</storeId> <module> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeev_hbk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i replace a word ending with "key" using awk excpet for one word?

echo {mbr_key,grp_key,dep_key,abc,xyz,aaa,ccc} | awk 'gsub(/^|abc,|$/,"") {print}' Required output {grp_key,xyz,aaa,ccc} (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
5 Replies
mkdb(8) 						  GNATS Admininstration Utilities						   mkdb(8)

NAME
mkdb - create a new GNATS database SYNOPSIS
mkdb databasename DESCRIPTION
Looks up databasename in the GNATS databases file and creates a database in the location specified there. mkdb creates the directory and populates it with a set of default files copied from the /usr/share/gnats/defaults directory. Note the implications of this: an entry in databases must be created before mkdb is run. The command should be run as the GNATS user, by default gnats. OPTIONS
databasename Specifies the name of the database to be created. SEE ALSO
Keeping Track: Managing Messages With GNATS (also installed as the GNU Info file gnats.info) databases(5), dbconfig(5), delete-pr(8), edit-pr(1) file-pr(8), gen-index(8), gnats(7), gnatsd(8), mkcat(8), mkdb(8), pr-edit(8), query- pr(1), queue-pr(8), send-pr(1). COPYING
Copyright (c) 2000, 2003, Free Software Foundation, Inc. Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are preserved on all copies. Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a permission notice identical to this one. Permission is granted to copy and distribute translations of this manual into another language, under the above conditions for modified versions, except that this permission notice may be included in translations approved by the Free Software Foundation instead of in the original English. GNATS
August 2003 mkdb(8)