Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Seeking clarification: function within if conditional Post 302992311 by RudiC on Thursday 23rd of February 2017 03:55:56 PM
Old 02-23-2017
Please be aware that in (most?) shells, 0 is TRUE and 1 is FALSE, which is reversed from what you know in languages like Pascal, C, etc, or tools like awk.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

seeking a doc on lvm etc...

Hi. I wanted to increase my knowledge base with unix. can you help me find a like that talks about luns, physical volumes, volume groups, logical volumes then mountpoints? i would appreciate it thanks Jigar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Seeking help...Urgent!!! Please help me...

Can any1 please help me answer a couple of this question? 1) What is the process management of UNIX? (single task, multitasks, etc...) 2) What is the process management of Linux? (single task, multitasks, etc...) 3) What is the type of process of UNIX? (process, thread, etc...) 4)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blind02002
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

seeking help with shell script

I am trying to update a script which I had created to monitor tablespace usage. Originally the sql spooled out to a text file anything with more than 75% used. I have been asked to change this. Now the sql must spool out all tablespaces. The script I have to write should scan the file for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Niadh
4 Replies

4. Programming

Seeking Some libs for AIX 5.3

hello everybody! I m compiling some program with the g++ on AIX 5.3 and it needs some library that i didn't find them i am new with the AIX here is the compilation error : g++ -Daix -fpic -o printps -lxercesc1_1 -L/oracle/OraHome/lib32/ -L/epost2/blitz/lib -lhmltods -lhmltops -lgeneric... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eternalflame
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

seeking help in text processing

Hi, I am a newbie in shell scripting. I want to get an expert help in solving a text processing issue. The issue I am facing is that, in the below log file contents I need to extract each block of lines (it could be a single line also) based on some regular expression and store it in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alecs
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[grep] seeking more than one word

Hello everybody, How can I do seek several words with grep command ? I didn't find how to do that in the man for I'm French. Then I tried man bash | grep -in control flow But flow is interpreted as an input file Then I tried man bash | grep -in "control" -a "flow" but doesn't seem to work... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oddant
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seeking help with search

Hello All, I'm looking for some help with grepping for two specific strings in files with multiple lines. For instance, I have files and the content looks like this: =====Start===== Record:1 Field 1 = aaaaaaaaaa Field 2 = bbbbbbbbbb Field 3 = 1234567890 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seeking Alternative for diff in hp

Hi , I have to use HP-unix OS to get difference between 2 files.while i tried a piece of code in other OS(linux/unix) as below, it worked fine & the output is desired one. diff --suppress-common-lines -y file_1 file_2 >d.txt The same doesn't works in HP -unix. Any help shall be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinil
6 Replies
ISSET(3)								 1								  ISSET(3)

isset - Determine if a variable is set and is not NULL

SYNOPSIS
bool isset (mixed $var, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Determine if a variable is set and is not NULL. If a variable has been unset with unset(3), it will no longer be set. isset(3) will return FALSE if testing a variable that has been set to NULL. Also note that a null character ( "") is not equivalent to the PHP NULL constant. If multiple parameters are supplied then isset(3) will return TRUE only if all of the parameters are set. Evaluation goes from left to right and stops as soon as an unset variable is encountered. PARAMETERS
o $var - The variable to be checked. o $... - Another variable ... RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE if $var exists and has value other than NULL, FALSE otherwise. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | Checking non-numeric offsets of strings now | | | returns FALSE. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 isset(3) Examples <?php $var = ''; // This will evaluate to TRUE so the text will be printed. if (isset($var)) { echo "This var is set so I will print."; } // In the next examples we'll use var_dump to output // the return value of isset(). $a = "test"; $b = "anothertest"; var_dump(isset($a)); // TRUE var_dump(isset($a, $b)); // TRUE unset ($a); var_dump(isset($a)); // FALSE var_dump(isset($a, $b)); // FALSE $foo = NULL; var_dump(isset($foo)); // FALSE ?> This also work for elements in arrays: <?php $a = array ('test' => 1, 'hello' => NULL, 'pie' => array('a' => 'apple')); var_dump(isset($a['test'])); // TRUE var_dump(isset($a['foo'])); // FALSE var_dump(isset($a['hello'])); // FALSE // The key 'hello' equals NULL so is considered unset // If you want to check for NULL key values then try: var_dump(array_key_exists('hello', $a)); // TRUE // Checking deeper array values var_dump(isset($a['pie']['a'])); // TRUE var_dump(isset($a['pie']['b'])); // FALSE var_dump(isset($a['cake']['a']['b'])); // FALSE ?> Example #2 isset(3) on String Offsets PHP 5.4 changes how isset(3) behaves when passed string offsets. <?php $expected_array_got_string = 'somestring'; var_dump(isset($expected_array_got_string['some_key'])); var_dump(isset($expected_array_got_string[0])); var_dump(isset($expected_array_got_string['0'])); var_dump(isset($expected_array_got_string[0.5])); var_dump(isset($expected_array_got_string['0.5'])); var_dump(isset($expected_array_got_string['0 Mostel'])); ?> Output of the above example in PHP 5.3: bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) Output of the above example in PHP 5.4: bool(false) bool(true) bool(true) bool(true) bool(false) bool(false) NOTES
Warning isset(3) only works with variables as passing anything else will result in a parse error. For checking if constants are set use the defined(3) function. Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Note When using isset(3) on inaccessible object properties, the __isset() overloading method will be called, if declared. SEE ALSO
empty(3), __isset(), unset(3), defined(3), the type comparison tables, array_key_exists(3), is_null(3), the error control @ operator. PHP Documentation Group ISSET(3)