Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting String To Integer/Float (weird case) Post 302989255 by sekfarok on Tuesday 10th of January 2017 10:32:39 AM
Old 01-10-2017
ahh sorry.

Currently (ignore the position). Let say i have a few records with 15 character long (fixed length).

Input
Code:
T00001000000234
T0000200000-123     <-- this should become -123
T00003000000234
T00004000000234
T00005000-11234     <-- this should become -11234
T00006000000234
T00007000000234

the var1 should be something like: var1=substr($0,7,9)

and record 2 and 5 are having '-' sign but in different position. Hope this is enough sample.

Last edited by vgersh99; 01-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integer/Float Script Problem

Hi, I have a script which takes a value from a file and performs calculations on it. Trouble is that this value is a float not an integer and it errors at the decimal point! eg. 94.62 I would like to be able to detect the length of the float (in this above case, 5 characters), and simply do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command for converting string to integer

Hi ... I am trying to calculate the time needed for a command to execute.. but the resulting value is getting as string.. so i am not able to use "expr " command.. please help me to convert the value to integer so that i can proceed with my script.. Regards esham (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esham
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting the case of the string?

Hi i have a string value in a variable STR eg. STR="ABSDSCSFS" How can be convert it to LOWERCASE in the script? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a String variable into Integer

Hi, I am passing a variable to a unix function. However when I try to assign the value to another variable like typeset -i I_CACHE_VAL=$2 Is this because of String to Integer conversion? I get an error. Please help me with thsi. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting integer to String

Hi everyone, I would like to know how to convert an integer to a string. for instance if i=1 i would like to creat a variable called constant1. i want to do this in a for loop so for each value of i, i create a new variable such as constant2, constant3,... and so on. for i in 1 2 3 do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

byte swapping 32-bit float and weird od results

I'm attempting to read a file that is composed of complex 32-bit floating point values on Solaris 10 that came from a 64-bit Red Hat computer. When I first tried reading the file, it looked like there was a byte-swapping problem and after running the od command on the file Solaris and Red Hat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoDonkeys
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Month into Integer

okay so i run an openssl command to get the date of an expired script. Doing so gives me this: enddate=Jun 26 23:59:59 2012 GMT Then i cut everything out and just leave the month which is "Jun" Now the next part of my script is to tell the user if the the certificate is expired or not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting date +%j into integer

Dear community, i got a problem to get "date +%j" as the right value. Today is the 10th day of the year. #./script.sh 2 #!/bin/bash/ Var1=$(date +%j) Var2=$1 let result=$Var1+$Var2 echo $Var1 plus $Var2 equals $result The output of the script is: 010 plus 2 equals 10... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: OskarHF
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting string to integer

I have a function that is supposed to check for user processes and wait for 0 count before exiting the function. I am sure I have more than one issue in my code, but the stumbling block right now is that I am trying to convert the value of my variable from a string to integer. process_count... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
10 Replies
DD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     DD(1)

NAME
dd - convert and copy a file SYNOPSIS
dd [ option value ] ... DESCRIPTION
Dd copies the specified input file to the specified output with possible conversions. The standard input and output are used by default. The input and output block size may be specified to take advantage of raw physical I/O. The options are -if f Open file f for input. -of f Open file f for output. -ibs n Set input block size to n bytes (default 512). -obs n Set output block size (default 512). -bs n Set both input and output block size, superseding ibs and obs. If no conversion is specified, preserve the input block size instead of packing short blocks into the output buffer. This is particularly efficient since no in-core copy need be done. -cbs n Set conversion buffer size. -skip n Skip n input records before copying. -iseek n Seek n records forward on input file before copying. -files n Catenate n input files (useful only for magnetic tape or similar input device). -oseek n Seek n records from beginning of output file before copying. -count n Copy only n input records. -conv ascii Convert EBCDIC to ASCII. ebcdic Convert ASCII to EBCDIC. ibm Like ebcdic but with a slightly different character map. block Convert variable length ASCII records to fixed length. unblock Convert fixed length ASCII records to variable length. lcase Map alphabetics to lower case. ucase Map alphabetics to upper case. swab Swap every pair of bytes. noerror Do not stop processing on an error. sync Pad every input record to ibs bytes. Where sizes are specified, a number of bytes is expected. A number may end with or to specify multiplication by 1024 or 512 respectively; a pair of numbers may be separated by to indicate a product. Multiple conversions may be specified in the style: is used only if or conversion is specified. In the first two cases, n characters are copied into the conversion buffer, any specified character mapping is done, trailing blanks are trimmed and new-line is added before sending the line to the output. In the latter three cases, characters are read into the conversion buffer and blanks are added to make up an output record of size n. If is unspecified or zero, the and options convert the character set without changing the block structure of the input file; the and options become a simple file copy. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/dd.c SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Dd reports the number of full + partial input and output blocks handled. DD(1)