Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Which category do you belong to? Post 302988846 by wisecracker on Tuesday 3rd of January 2017 04:09:22 PM
Old 01-03-2017
I can't really poll on this as I don't fit anywhere.

I am a mere amateur who likes working in the worst case. I like finding the limits of languages without using extra external libraries to do my tasks. I have abandoned Python because there is a library for just about everything a programmer needs, these things make life easy. I am hooked on Shell Scripting and haven't even scratched the surface yet after 3 years of experimentation.
Am I capable of being an admin? NO!
Am I developer? Well yes and no.
I don't consider myself good enough to code something like Audacity but I am quite capable of coding to hit the hardware where it hurts hardest in some languages that were not designed for the task. ;o)
Am I management material? Absolutely not, if I can't get my hands dirty then I am not interested.
Why do I code? Purely to learn something different from my profession, (a retired), Electronics Engineer.
Could I set up and maintain a serious server farm? NO! End of story.
Could I set up and maintain a tiny private network? Yes, but that makes me no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

So an extra section for the pure amateur:-

Amateur with no absolute knowledge of any one part of computer science, but willing to learn.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

listing files that do not belong to current date

How do we list all the file names in a directory that does not belong to current date. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing files that does not belong to current date

How do we list all the file names in a directory that does not belong to current date. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esh.mohan
3 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to change the category?

Hi, I submitted my blog on UNIX in the links section. On submitting, i chose the category as Unix/Linux standards, which i now feel is incorrect. I would like to change the category of my link, but i don't find any option to change the category. Please help me in doing the needful. Thanks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into given category and others using awk

Hi All, Would it be possible using awk to split a given file into two files based on a certain condition such that one output file will contain all lines that fit the condition while the other output file will contain lines that did not fit the condition? Here is a sample input file ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cympaulife
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files that belong to a certain year date?

I'm trying to list files, first by size and I'm using something like this ls -l|awk '{print $5,$6,$7,$8,$9|"sort -nr"}'|more Now I'd like to just do the same listing but only for files with the year 2009 in the $8 field or even anything less than 2011. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract the max value category

Hi, I have a file and I want the category for each row to be its highest value. gene highest medium lower lowest ABC 20 30 50 70 DEF 90 20 60 0 o/p gene highest medium lower lowest category ABC... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ldap , search groups that user belong

i want run query to identify witch groups that user A belong, CN=name,CN=Users,DC=mydomain ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data filtering and category assigning

Please consider the following file, I have many groups which can be of 3 types, T1 (Serial_Number 1) T2 (Serial_Number 2) and T1*T2 (all other Serial_Number). I want to only consider groups that have both T1 and T2 present and their values are different from each other. In the example file,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jianp83
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Category and count with awk

I want to categorize and count the as below: Input file: A1 G1 C1 F1 A2 G1 C1 F1 A3 G1 C1 F2 A4 G1 C2 F2 A7 G1 C2 F2 A8 G1 C2 F3 A11 G1 C2 F3 A23 G1 C2 F3 B4 G1 C2 F3 AC4 G2 C3 F4 B6 G2 C4 F4 BB5 G2 C4 F4 A25 G2 C5 F4 B13 G2 C5 F5 D12 G2 C5 F5 D2 G2 C5 F5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete records that do not belong to that day

i have a requirement to delete records that do not belong to that day. For example in a file that came on July 31st ,2018 there are records that belong to Aug 1st,2018 as well and I want to find and delete those records. I want to delete anything with 01-Aug-2018. I have several files like that. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya
6 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)