Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to cd to a directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unable to cd to a directory Post 302988506 by mohtashims on Tuesday 27th of December 2016 10:21:30 AM
Old 12-27-2016
Hammer & Screwdriver Unable to cd to a directory

I am getting the below error when cd to a directory.

Code:
cd /u/Mont
/bin/ksh: cd: /u/Mont: [Number of symbolic links encountered during path name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS]

Code:
ls -ltrd /u/Mont
lrwxrwxrwx   1 user1 testuser       5 Dec  1 11:39 /u/Mont -> Mont

Code:
 uname -a
SunOS mymac 5.11 11.2 sun4v sparc sun4v

Can you please resolve the error and explain why is it failing ?.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to view contents of a directory

Hi, first post here be gentle. Very new to Unix. Using HP-UX 10.20 I CD into a remote directory on one machine $ cd /net/remote hostname yet when I do an ll in this directory none of the contents appear. It just is empty. when I do the same command from another machine, $ cd... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddave
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to create directory in /apps

well, I'm completely stumped so I'm hopeful that someone here may have an answer...one of my development machines is running Solaris 8 and I've been trying to create a folder in /apps. it gives me this message: mkdir: Failed to make directory "*******"; Operation not applicable I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkrotz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to see all file in a current directory

Hi, I am unable to see all files in a current directory when use "ls -lrt" command it is giving error message as below ( I think this current directory is having about 500 files) <CONTROL /home/ckanth/sri>ls -lrt UX:ls: ERROR: Out of memory: Insufficient or invalid memory But when i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to create any directory that uses numbers as the directory name

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): ================================================================== root@server # cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5) root@server # uname -a Linux server.integrityserver.net... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
16 Replies

5. Linux

Unable to view files in a particular directory under /opt

Hi Everybody, I am Unable to view files in a particular directory under /opt. But, when I reboot the server, I am able to view the files.. Its happening daily. Do u 've n e answers/suggestions. Kindly help.. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: its.simron
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to chmod a file/directory

This is Solaris 10, by the way. I am aware of ACLs or something like that in Solaris 10 where you can change who can access directories and such that goes beyond the standard permisisons (chmod and rwxrwxrwx). Although I thought when these were being used, the permissions listing would show a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyonsd
12 Replies

7. Solaris

unable to open directory from user

when ever i trying to give df -k from user showing permisson denied for one directory named samba.if i trying to give from root user samba directory is opening. shut@praveen#df -k df: cannot statvfs /samba/tcgt_tendering: Permission denied if i give from root user (df -k) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to restore cpio archive to a directory

Hello Every one, I want to back up all passwd files to /xyz/passfiles.cpio and Then restore them to /abc directory. Here is what I wrote: find / -name passwd | cpio -oc > /tmp/passwd.cpio and to restore cd abc cpio -ium < /tmp/passwd.cpio I can not find the files restored to /abc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdigital_m
2 Replies

9. Linux

Unable to change the permission for directory

unable to chnage the ownership as group does not exist ls -ltr drwxr-xr-x 2 1520291 remote 1024 Sep 25 2014 img root@servername#chown content:remote img chown: img: Not owner (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghur77
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to list files in a directory

Hi have a system running solaris with a mount point running 58% capacity used, but unfortunately when I type ls -lrtin a specific directory, it returns: ls: Not enough space. I suspect there are millions of files in this directory. So what I did is to create a script like this: touch -mt... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
13 Replies
pwd(1)								   User Commands							    pwd(1)

NAME
pwd - return working directory name SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/pwd DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility writes an absolute path name of the current working directory to standard output. Both the Bourne shell, sh(1), and the Korn shell, ksh(1), also have a built-in pwd command. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of pwd: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. If an error is detected, output will not be written to standard output, a diagnostic message will be written to standard error, and the exit status will not be 0. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), ksh(1), sh(1), shell_builtins(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
``Cannot open ..'' and ``Read error in ..'' indicate possible file system trouble and should be referred to a UNIX system administrator. NOTES
If you move the current directory or one above it, pwd may not give the correct response. Use the cd(1) command with a full path name to correct this situation. SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1995 pwd(1)