Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting HELP - uniq values per column Post 302984665 by Don Cragun on Saturday 29th of October 2016 01:12:51 AM
Old 10-29-2016
If you're willing to accept output with values in each column presented in the same order as they were seen in encountered in the input, you could try something like:
Code:
awk '
function AddFieldData(field) {
	if((field, $field) in data)
		return
	data[field, FieldValue[field, ++count[field]] = $field]
	if(count[field] > maxr)
		maxr = count[field]
	if(field > maxc)
		maxc = field
}
{	for(i = 1; i <= NF; i++)
		AddFieldData(i)
}
END {	for(i = 1; i <= maxr; i++)
		for(j = 1; j <= maxc; j++)
			printf("%s%s", FieldValue[j, i], (j == maxc) ? ORS : OFS)
}' names

which, with the sample data you provided, produces the output:
Code:
joe allen ibm
rachel smith google

If you need the last column to be in a different order, you need to more clearly explain your requirements. Hopefully, you can use the above code as a base to get something that will do what you're trying to do.

If you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column sum group by uniq records

Dear All, I want to get help for below case. I have a file like this. saman 1 gihan 2 saman 4 ravi 1 ravi 2 so i want to get the result, saman 5 gihan 2 ravi 3 like this. Pls help me. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print unique values of a column and sum up the corresponding values in next column

Hi All, I have a file which is having 3 columns as (string string integer) a b 1 x y 2 p k 5 y y 4 ..... ..... Question: I want get the unique value of column 2 in a sorted way(on column 2) and the sum of the 3rd column of the corresponding rows. e.g the above file should return the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amigarus
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Re: How To Use UNIQ UNIX Command On single Column

Hi , Can You Please let Know How use unix uniq command on a single column for deleting records from file with Below Structure.Pipe Delimter File . Source Name | Account_Id A | 101 B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift values in one column as header for values in another column

Hi Gurus, I have a tab separated text file with two columns. I would like to make the first column values as headings for the second column values. Ex. >value1 subjects >value2 priorities >value3 requirements ...etc and I want to have a file >value1 subjects >value2 priorities... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for uniq entries add values in corresponding columns

Hi, I have a file as listed below.. What I want to get is for each unique value in column 1 the corresponding values in the rest of the columns should be summed up.. AAK1 0 1 0 11 AAK1 0 0 1 1 AAK1 0 0 1 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk uniq and longest string of a column as index

I met a challenge to filter ~70 millions of sequence rows and I want using awk with conditions: 1) longest string of each pattern in column 2, ignore any sub-string, as the index; 2) all the unique patterns after 1); 3) print the whole row; input: 1 ABCDEFGHI longest_sequence1 2 ABCDEFGH... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter uniq field values (non-substring)

Hello, I want to filter column based on string value. All substring matches are filtered out and only unique master strings are picked up. infile: 1 abcd 2 abc 3 abcd 4 cdef 5 efgh 6 efgh 7 efx 8 fgh Outfile: 1 abcd 4 cdef 5 efgh 7 efxI have tried awk '!a++; match(a, $2)>0'... (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
32 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniq count second column

Hello How can I get a number of occurrence count for this file; ERR315389.1000156 CTTGAAGAAGAATTGAAAACTGTGACGAACAACTTGAAGTCACTGGAGGCTCAGGCTGAGAAGTACTCGCAGAAGGAAGACAGATATGAGGAAGAG ERR315389.1000281 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wan Fahmi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bring values in the second column into single line (comma sep) for uniq value in the first column

I want to bring values in the second column into single line for uniq value in the first column. My input jvm01, Web 2.0 Feature Pack Library jvm01, IBM WebSphere JAX-RS jvm01, Custom01 Shared Library jvm02, Web 2.0 Feature Pack Library jvm02, IBM WebSphere JAX-RS jvm03, Web 2.0 Feature... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get first column value uniq

Hi All, I have a directory and sub-directory that having ‘n' number of .log file in nearly 1GB. The file is comma separated file. I need to recursively grep and uniq first column values only. I did in perl. But i wish to know more command line utilities to calculate the time for grep and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
4 Replies
gd_validate(3)							      GETDATA							    gd_validate(3)

NAME
gd_validate -- check a dirfile field code for validity SYNOPSIS
#include <getdata.h> int gd_validate(DIRFILE *dirfile, const char *field_code); DESCRIPTION
The gd_validate() function queries a dirfile(5) database specified by dirfile and checks whether field_code, which may contain a represen- tation suffix, specifies a valid field. The dirfile argument must point to a valid DIRFILE object previously created by a call to gd_open(3). This function checks whether the field and its input fields (if any) are found, whether the representation suffix (if any) is valid, and also that all non-literal parameters specify valid scalar fields. RETURN VALUE
If all checks pass, gd_validate() returns zero. On error, it returns -1 and sets the dirfile error to a non-zero error value. Possible error values are: GD_E_BAD_CODE The field specified by field_code or one of the fields it uses as input was not found in the database. GD_E_BAD_DIRFILE The supplied dirfile was invalid. GD_E_BAD_REPR The representation suffix specified in field_code was not recognised. GD_E_BAD_SCALAR A non-literal scalar used in the definition of the field or one of its inputs was not found, or was not a CONST or CARRAY field. GD_E_DIMENSION A scalar field was found where a vector field was expected. GD_E_RECURSE_LEVEL Too many levels of recursion were encountered while trying to resolve field_code. This usually indicates a circular dependency in field specification in the dirfile. The dirfile error may be retrieved by calling gd_error(3). A descriptive error string for the last error encountered can be obtained from a call to gd_error_string(3). NOTES
It is not necessary to call this function before passing a field code to another GetData function: all functions which accept field codes perform these checks themselves. SEE ALSO
dirfile(5), gd_getdata(3), gd_error(3), gd_error_string(3), gd_open(3) Version 0.7.0 3 November 2010 gd_validate(3)