Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Cleanly log out a user w/o killing process Post 302983939 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 18th of October 2016 03:44:07 PM
Old 10-18-2016
No. Logging a user out means that their login shell has been terminated. If the user used nohup to start jobs that they wanted to continue running after they were logged out, killing off all of their terminal sessions might not be a big deal; otherwise any jobs that they started and hoped would run through the night will also be killed if you terminate their login sessions.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-18-2016 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Fix typo: s/there/their/
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Killing a stubborn process...

I have a stubborn process on my OpenBSD box that just refuses to die. It is taking up about half a meg of memory and refuses to die. It appears to be an errant gzip process that was executed from the console on 06 Jan 2002. Here is a snippet of my attempts to kill the gzip process ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: auswipe
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing process, from who -uH, at different termnals

in aix, do a who -uH, by seeing the pts/number, we can do a ps -ef | grep pts/number to see what processes the terminal is running, then how do we kill them? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing process using a script

can I do ps -ef | grep <process_name> and kill the process is it exists? and send a mail to me that the process was found and killed Thanks much... KS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing a process

I can kill running processes on my linux red hat system using ctrl-c but cannot do it from command line of another terminal using kill -2 pid. Although I can kill them from command line using kill -9 pid and other signals. I would like to do it using the kill -2 pid. Thanks for your suggestions (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbhayana
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing specific process

Hello, I need to create a process that will kill a specific process if it's running. Let's just say the process is called win, actually called something else. It could be running multiple times on the machine and I would want to kill them all. Below is the code I have written so far, and it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing of a process and send a mail if the process doesnot come up within 2 minutes

Hi Friends, I am new to this forum as well as new to shell scripting. I have a problem here and i need someone to solve this. Let us consider there are two processes(abc & def).There is a script which kills these two processes(i.e killtheprocess abc). Here abc is the argument . There is a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prince89
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

killing the process

Hi, First, I am running a scipt.While the script is running I realize that I dont want the script to be run so I am killing the script externally.Before the process gets terminated or killed it should delete all the temporary files created by the script.How to do this?Can anyone help me? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing process!!!!

Hi friends, i m in big trouble.... i have one script which connects two server ...like below.. script1.sh ------------------------------------- bash test.sh & eval x=$@ export x=`echo $x` #echo $x # ssh user@8.2.5.6 bash /mbbv/location/script.sh $x|sed '/Binary file/d'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shahul
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing the process ID's

Hi , I have a list of application process id's. Is there a way to kill all the process listed below using the script, except the once which are starting with " Genesis " adm 1522 ABC_Process.tra adm 1939 Genesis_Process.tra adm 2729 Genesis_Archive.tra adm 3259 xyz_Process.tra (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali1687
5 Replies
sb2-logz(1)							 sb2-logz man page						       sb2-logz(1)

NAME
sb2-logz - sb2 log postprocessing tool SYNOPSIS
sb2-logz [options] < logfile DESCRIPTION
sb2-logz reads logs created by scratchbox2 and writes summaries (the log files can be really huge, and manually digging out information from them might be a time-consuming task). Logs are produced when sb2 is executed with -d (debug) or -L options (e.g. "-L info") OPTIONS
-b no blacklist: do not ignore log lines from functions like __xstat() (there is a built-in blacklist, which tries to minimize "noise" caused by various libraries and scratchbox2 itself) -B fn1,fn2,.. blacklist funcions fn1,fn2,..: ignore lines generated by the listed library calls. -d level debug mode, for debugging the script itself. -h show help text. -i print details about 'disabled' pathnames (unmodifed paths, because mapping was momentarily disabled) -l print long details (affects output of -i,-m,-r,-p etc) -m print details about mapped pathnames (src->dest) -N print all 'notice' messages -p print details about passed pathnames ('passed path' = not mapped) -r print reversed mappings (dest->src) -s print process statistics -v verbose mode, prints dots while reading input etc. -P file.dot write process diagram to file.dot (postprocess it with 'dot', e.g. 'dot -Tpdf file.dot >file.pdf' -E file.dot write execution diagram to file.dot (postprocess it with 'dot', e.g. 'dot -Tpdf file.dot >file.pdf' -A acct-file Read process accounting information from acct-file (enhances output of -P and -E)' BUGS
Option -A requires an accounting log, which has to be activated separately. Generation of accounting information typically requires super- user privileges (or CAP_SYS_PACCT capability on Linux). This is an system-level restriction, and not fault of scratchbox2. However, sb2-logz has some limitations: Correlating information from the accounting log is based on process ids, and the heuristics may fail if there were really many processes; The -P, -E and -A options may be less useful for longer runs. Best results are achieved if process accounting is switched on just before the scratchbox2 session is created, and switched off afterwards - and there is nothing else running on the host at the same time. SEE ALSO
sb2(1), sb2-config(1), sb2-init(1), acct(2), dot(1) ( dot belongs to the graphviz package) AUTHOR
Lauri Aarnio 2.2 17 December 2010 sb2-logz(1)