Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array problem in Bash Script
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Array problem in Bash Script Post 302983764 by Don Cragun on Sunday 16th of October 2016 10:41:10 PM
Old 10-16-2016
Your current code explicitly initializes the array using:
Code:
days=(9 8 7 6 5)

If you want to update the array and load those updated values the next time you run your script, you need to save the updated values in a file before you exit your script, and when you run your script you need to load the array from that file; not with the initialization step shown above.

Note that you also need to be sure that you never run more than one copy of your script at a time. If you have two copies of the script running concurrently, you have to be absolutely sure that they destroy the file saving your stored data by performing concurrent updates to that file.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash array problem

hi friends., i have two files yy.dat and mm.dat containing 110 elements in each if i read them into variables it is just showing only 4 elements instead of 110 elements My script is like this ################################## /bin/bash declare -a yy=(`cat yy.dat`) echo "No of values in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yagnesh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash Script: Issue with iterating Directory and store into array

Hi all, I am working on a backup based script, in which it enters to a directory and check the sub-directories and copy the names into an array. cd $CPFs k=0 for i in * do if then ARRs="$i" k=$(($k+1)) #echo "$i" ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: canishk
19 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Problem with Array in Script

Below is my script. This script is getting an error code such as this one. fileListener.bat: entityArray=craig.uss@pnc.com: not found craig.uss@pnc.com fileListener.bat: entityArray=duns_noncusts.txt: not found duns_noncusts.txt fileListener.bat: entityArray=duns_misc.cpy: not found... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkjp
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem access array outside of loop in bash

Below is a test script I was trying to use so that I could understand why the logic was not working in a larger script. While accessing and printing array data inside the while loop, everything is fine. Outside the loop, i guess everything is null?? The for loop that is meant to cycle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adlmostwanted
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script undefined array item value question

Hello, I'm new here. I test these expressions's value in my script : (in centOS 6 ) #!/bin/bash array='something' echo "############" echo ${array} echo ${array} echo ${array} echo "############" The output result is : ################# something something #################... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lingjing
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Scanning array for partial elements in Bash Script

Example of problem: computerhand=(6H 2C JC QS 9D 3H 8H 4D) topcard=6D How do you search ${computerhand} for all elements containing either a "6" or a "D" then save the output to a file? This is a part of a Terminal game of Crazy 8's that I'm attempting to write in Bash. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array compare bash script

Hello, i have a script that should compare between ${ARRAY} that contains all fstab record like this : >>echo ${ARRAY} / /boot between all mountpoints in my df that is stord in ${ARRAY2} >>echo ${ARRAY2} / /boot /dev/shm /var/spool/asterisk/monitor now i have this loop: for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchenr
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need a Bash script for iterating thru an array and running a command

Hi , I am a total beginner so bear with me. I have the below code which works . I need to extend it by iterating thru the array arr and executing a command in each loop. some thing on the lines of below. I need to run this in a Jenkins script , so I would need below bash script to run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SVRao19056
6 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)