Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Fetching 1st Column and Last n Columns Post 302983120 by RavinderSingh13 on Thursday 6th of October 2016 01:59:36 PM
Old 10-06-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
Is it always a fixed number of columns in each file? If so, you could use cut:-
Code:
tab=$(printf "\t")                                             # Just defining the tab character for clarity
columns=$(set - $(head -1 input_file | tr " " "_") ; echo $#)  # Count number of columns today.  The tr eliminates spaces, just for counting columns
((start_col=$columns-99))                                      # Count back 99 columns (else you will get an extra one)
cut -d "$tab" -f1,${start_col}- input_file                     # Note the trailing hyphen on the field/column definition

Robin
Hello rbatte1,

Thank you for your nice code sir, may I add here my humble view here(hope I am correct here, kindly correct me if I am wrong here).
I think if we need to print last 100 columns then final line in above code could be following.
Code:
cut -d "$tab" -f${start_col},${columns}- Input_file

I haven't tested it though.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check Null values in a file column by column if columns are Not NULLs

Hi All, I have a table with 10 columns. Some columns(2nd,4th,5th,7th,8th and 10th) are Not Null columns. I'll get a tab-delimited file and want to check col by col and generate seperate error code for each col eg:102 if 2nd col value is NULL and 104 if 4th col value is NULL so on... I am a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two files.say a and b.both have long columns.i wanna match the column fron 1st file w

ex: a file has : 122323 123456456 125656879 678989965t635 234323432 b has : this is finance no. this is phone no this is extn ajkdgag idjsidj i want the o/p as: 122323 his is finance no. 123456456 this is phone no 123456456 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUPTI
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help In fetching the 2nd Peak value of a column

Hi, We have a requirement of calculating the AVG, Peak and 2nd Peak (Say Peak2) of a column in a text file. We are able to get Avg and Peak but we are finding difficulty in getting the 2nd Peak. I tried using the AWK but in vainL. Please find the below Script i have written for fetching AVG and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh Madpathi
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine columns from many files but keep them aligned in columns-shorter left column issue

Hello everyone, I searched the forum looking for answers to this but I could not pinpoint exactly what I need as I keep having trouble. I have many files each having two columns and hundreds of rows. first column is a string (can have many words) and the second column is a number.The files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isildur1234
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching columns from .csv file except last column

Hi, i have below list of files so i just want the name of the files in one parameter and not the timestamp. i want only GIDW_Dy_Tm_Seg_Sls_legacy_PL_0_0_ in variable of all files. GIDW_Dy_Tm_Seg_Sls_legacy_PL_0_0_20131001101800.csv GIDW_Dly_Sls_legacy_RO_0_0_20131001172001.csv ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fetching values in CSV file based on column name

input.csv: Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4,Field4 abc ,123 ,xyz ,000 ,pqr mno ,123 ,dfr ,111 ,bbb output: Field2,Field4 123 ,000 123 ,111 how to fetch the values of Field4 where Field2='123' I don't want to fetch the values based on column position. Instead want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharathbangalor
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want the UNIX code - I want to sum of the 1st column wherever the first 2nd and 3rd columns r equal

I have the code for the below things.. File1 has the content as below 8859 0 subscriberCreate 18 0 subscriberPaymentMethodChange 1650 0 subscriberProfileUpdate 7668 0 subscriberStatusChange 13 4020100 subscriberProfileUpdate 1 4020129 subscriberStatusChange 2 4020307 subscriberCreate 8831... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahen
5 Replies

8. Linux

Print the 1st column and the value in 2nd or 3rd column if that is different from the values in 1st

I have file that looks like this, DIP-17571N|refseq:NP_651151 DIP-17460N|refseq:NP_511165|uniprotkb:P45890 DIP-17571N|refseq:NP_651151 DIP-19241N|refseq:NP_524261 DIP-19241N|refseq:NP_524261 DIP-17151N|refseq:NP_524316|uniprotkb:O16797 DIP-19588N|refseq:NP_731165 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to Sum columns when other column has duplicates and append one column value to another with Care

Hi Experts, Please bear with me, i need help I am learning AWk and stuck up in one issue. First point : I want to sum up column value for column 7, 9, 11,13 and column15 if rows in column 5 are duplicates.No action to be taken for rows where value in column 5 is unique. Second point : For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare 1st column from 2 file and if match print line from 1st file and append column 7 from 2nd

hi I have 2 file with more than 10 columns for both 1st file apple,0,0,0...... orange,1,2,3..... mango,2,4,5..... 2nd file apple,2,3,4,5,6,7... orange,2,3,4,5,6,8... watermerlon,2,3,4,5,6,abc... mango,5,6,7,4,6,def.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tententen
1 Replies
RTBL(3) 						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						   RTBL(3)

NAME
rtbl_create, rtbl_destroy, rtbl_set_flags, rtbl_get_flags, rtbl_set_prefix, rtbl_set_separator, rtbl_set_column_prefix, rtbl_set_column_affix_by_id, rtbl_add_column, rtbl_add_column_by_id, rtbl_add_column_entry, rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id, rtbl_new_row, rtbl_format -- format data in simple tables LIBRARY
The roken library (libroken, -lroken) SYNOPSIS
#include <rtbl.h> int rtbl_add_column(rtbl_t table, const char *column_name, unsigned int flags); int rtbl_add_column_by_id(rtbl_t table, unsigned int column_id, const char *column_header, unsigned int flags); int rtbl_add_column_entry(rtbl_t table, const char *column_name, const char *cell_entry); int rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(rtbl_t table, unsigned int column_id, const char *cell_entry); rtbl_t rtbl_create(void); void rtbl_destroy(rtbl_t table); int rtbl_new_row(rtbl_t table); int rtbl_set_column_affix_by_id(rtbl_t table, unsigned int column_id, const, char, *prefix", const char *suffix); int rtbl_set_column_prefix(rtbl_t table, const char *column_name, const char *prefix); unsigned int rtbl_get_flags(rtbl_t table); void rtbl_set_flags(rtbl_t table, unsigned int flags); int rtbl_set_prefix(rtbl_t table, const char *prefix); int rtbl_set_separator(rtbl_t table, const char *separator); int rtbl_format(rtbl_t table, FILE, *file"); DESCRIPTION
This set of functions assemble a simple table consisting of rows and columns, allowing it to be printed with certain options. Typical use would be output from tools such as ls(1) or netstat(1), where you have a fixed number of columns, but don't know the column widths before hand. A table is created with rtbl_create() and destroyed with rtbl_destroy(). Global flags on the table are set with rtbl_set_flags and retrieved with rtbl_get_flags. At present the only defined flag is RTBL_HEADER_STYLE_NONE which suppresses printing the header. Before adding data to the table, one or more columns need to be created. This would normally be done with rtbl_add_column_by_id(), column_id is any number of your choice (it's used only to identify columns), column_header is the header to print at the top of the column, and flags are flags specific to this column. Currently the only defined flag is RTBL_ALIGN_RIGHT, aligning column entries to the right. Columns are printed in the order they are added. There's also a way to add columns by column name with rtbl_add_column(), but this is less flexible (you need unique header names), and is considered deprecated. To add data to a column you use rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(), where the column_id is the same as when the column was added (adding data to a non-existent column is undefined), and cell_entry is whatever string you wish to include in that cell. It should not include newlines. For columns added with rtbl_add_column() you must use rtbl_add_column_entry() instead. rtbl_new_row() fills all columns with blank entries until they all have the same number of rows. Each column can have a separate prefix and suffix, set with rtbl_set_column_affix_by_id; rtbl_set_column_prefix allows setting the prefix only by column name. In addition to this, columns may be separated by a string set with rtbl_set_separator (by default columns are not seprated by anything). The finished table is printed to file with rtbl_format. EXAMPLES
This program: #include <stdio.h> #include <rtbl.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { rtbl_t table; table = rtbl_create(); rtbl_set_separator(table, " "); rtbl_add_column_by_id(table, 0, "Column A", 0); rtbl_add_column_by_id(table, 1, "Column B", RTBL_ALIGN_RIGHT); rtbl_add_column_by_id(table, 2, "Column C", 0); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 0, "A-1"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 0, "A-2"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 0, "A-3"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 1, "B-1"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 2, "C-1"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 2, "C-2"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 1, "B-2"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 1, "B-3"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 2, "C-3"); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 0, "A-4"); rtbl_new_row(table); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 1, "B-4"); rtbl_new_row(table); rtbl_add_column_entry_by_id(table, 2, "C-4"); rtbl_new_row(table); rtbl_format(table, stdout); rtbl_destroy(table); return 0; } will output the following: Column A Column B Column C A-1 B-1 C-1 A-2 B-2 C-2 A-3 B-3 C-3 A-4 B-4 C-4 HEIMDAL
June 26, 2004 HEIMDAL