Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Carriage return with cat variable Post 302982279 by Arnaudh78 on Tuesday 27th of September 2016 01:10:34 PM
Old 09-27-2016
I want to put (cat file.txt) because after I use the variable for send an email with sendemail example :
Code:
/usr/bin/sendemail -f $sender -t $recipient -u $subject -m $te -s $server

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a line including Variable & Carriage Return / sed command as Variable

I want to instert Category:XXXXX into the 2. line something like this should work, but I have somewhere the wrong sytanx. something with the linebreak goes wrong: sed "2i\\${n}Category:$cat\n" Sample: Titel Blahh Blahh abllk sdhsd sjdhf Blahh Blah Blahh Blahh Should look like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returns leading carriage return into a variable

I am trying to generate some scripts to help manage an Oracle database. When I check the value returned from Oracle it has a leading carriage return in the variable. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a way to easily strip out the carriage return. See code and output below. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panzer993
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A variable is including the Carriage Return char...

Hi all, I'm reading a file with this layout: First_Col Second_Col The Second_Col has values as 1000, -1, 10, 43... While reading the file I'm getting the second column value with awk command, but it is including the CR control char. do item_saved=`echo $b | awk '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 carriage return within a record

Hi all, need your help in replacing carriage return in a record. Input: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10 1|aa|bb|cc|dd|eee eee|ff|ggggg|hh hhh|iii 2|zz|yy|xx|ww|vv|uu|tt|ss|rr Output: col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Carriage return ksh

Hello, How do i usecarriage return in ksh. I want to do an echo "bla bla" and another echo "bla bla" will appear and replace the first echo on screen. I tried: until ; do echo "bla bla \r" done please advice. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute \n with carriage return

Hello all, I've a flat file in the following format: AB\001\CDED\001\ABC\001\nEG\001\HIJF\001\EFG\001\nHI\003\HIUL\003\HIJ\003 And I want to substitute \n with the carriage return. Any help is appreciated! Regards, - Seth (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat is obsolete. It has been superseded by gvfs-cat. See gvfs-cat(1). gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Obsolete Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1), gvfs-cat(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.11 14 May 2008 gnomevfs-cat(1)