Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Concatenate column values when header is Matching from multiple files Post 302982220 by Nina2910 on Monday 26th of September 2016 08:08:20 PM
Old 09-26-2016
@Ravinder somehow its not working for me however I used Don's solution and it worked.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a header column by adding another column entry to the header column name URGENT!!

Hi All, I have a file example.csv which looks like this GrpID,TargetID,Signal,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256 CSCH74_1_1,212007,647,679 CSCH74_1_1,12007,3,32 CSCH74_1_1,207,299,777 I want the output as GrpID,TragetID,Signal-CSCH74_1_1,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vavad
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename a header column by adding another column entry to the header column name

Hi All, I have a file example.csv which looks like this GrpID,TargetID,Signal,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256 CSCH74_1_1,212007,647,679 CSCH74_1_1,12007,3,32 CSCH74_1_1,207,299,777 I want the output as GrpID,TragetID,Signal-CSCH74_1_1,Avg_Num CSCH74_1_1,2007,61,256... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vavad
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shift values in one column as header for values in another column

Hi Gurus, I have a tab separated text file with two columns. I would like to make the first column values as headings for the second column values. Ex. >value1 subjects >value2 priorities >value3 requirements ...etc and I want to have a file >value1 subjects >value2 priorities... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum values of specific column in multiple files, considering ranges defined in another file

I have a file (let say file B) like this: File B: A1 3 5 A1 7 9 A2 2 5 A3 1 3 The first column defines a filename and the other two define a range in that specific file. In the same directory, I have also three more files (File A1, A2 and A3). Here is 10 sample lines... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum column values matching other field

this is part of a KT i am going thru. i am writing a script in bash shell, linux where i have 2 columns where 1st signifies the nth hour like 00, 01, 02...23 and 2nd the file size. sample data attached. Desired output is 3 columns which will give the nth hour, number of entries in nth hour and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting values based on line-column numbers from multiple text files

Dear All, I have to solve the following problems with multiple tab-separated text file but I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have access to Linux mint (but not as a professional). I have multiple tab-delimited files with the following structure: file1: 1 44 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate values in the first column based on the second column.

I have a file (myfile.txt) with contents like this: 1.txt apple is 3.txt apple is 5.txt apple is 2.txt apple is a 7.txt apple is a 8.txt apple is a fruit 4.txt orange not a fruit 6.txt zero isThe above file is already sorted using this command: sort -k2 myfile.txtMy objective is to get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing same column from two files, printing whole row with matching values

First I'd like to apologize if I opened a thread which is already open somewhere. I did a bit of searching but could quite find what I was looking for, so I will try to explaing what I need. I'm writing a script on our server, got to a point where I have two files with results. Example: File1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitabrev83
6 Replies
RCSCLEAN(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  RCSCLEAN(1)

NAME
rcsclean - clean up working files SYNOPSIS
rcsclean [options] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
rcsclean removes files that are not being worked on. rcsclean -u also unlocks and removes files that are being worked on but have not changed. For each file given, rcsclean compares the working file and a revision in the corresponding RCS file. If it finds a difference, it does nothing. Otherwise, it first unlocks the revision if the -u option is given, and then removes the working file unless the working file is writable and the revision is locked. It logs its actions by outputting the corresponding rcs -u and rm -f commands on the standard output. Files are paired as explained in ci(1). If no file is given, all working files in the current directory are cleaned. Filenames matching an RCS suffix denote RCS files; all others denote working files. The number of the revision to which the working file is compared may be attached to any of the options -n, -q, -r, or -u. If no revision number is specified, then if the -u option is given and the caller has one revision locked, rcsclean uses that revision; otherwise rcsclean uses the latest revision on the default branch, normally the root. rcsclean is useful for clean targets in makefiles. See also rcsdiff(1), which prints out the differences, and ci(1), which normally reverts to the previous revision if a file was not changed. OPTIONS
-ksubst Use subst style keyword substitution when retrieving the revision for comparison. See co(1) for details. -n[rev] Do not actually remove any files or unlock any revisions. Using this option will tell you what rcsclean would do without actually doing it. -q[rev] Do not log the actions taken on standard output. -r[rev] This option has no effect other than specifying the revision for comparison. -T Preserve the modification time on the RCS file even if the RCS file changes because a lock is removed. This option can suppress extensive recompilation caused by a make(1) dependency of some other copy of the working file on the RCS file. Use this option with care; it can suppress recompilation even when it is needed, i.e. when the lock removal would mean a change to keyword strings in the other working file. -u[rev] Unlock the revision if it is locked and no difference is found. -V Print RCS's version number. -Vn Emulate RCS version n. See co(1) for details. -xsuffixes Use suffixes to characterize RCS files. See ci(1) for details. -zzone Use zone as the time zone for keyword substitution; see co(1) for details. EXAMPLES
rcsclean *.c *.h removes all working files ending in .c or .h that were not changed since their checkout. rcsclean removes all working files in the current directory that were not changed since their checkout. FILES
rcsclean accesses files much as ci(1) does. ENVIRONMENT
RCSINIT Options prepended to the argument list, separated by spaces. A backslash escapes spaces within an option. The RCSINIT options are prepended to the argument lists of most RCS commands. Useful RCSINIT options include -q, -V, -x, and -z. RCS_MEM_LIMIT An integer lim, measured in kilobytes, specifying the threshold under which commands will try to use memory-based operations for processing the RCS file. (For RCS files of size lim kilobytes or greater, RCS will use the slower standard input/output routines.) Default value is 256. TMPDIR Name of the temporary directory. If not set, the environment variables TMP and TEMP are inspected instead and the first value found is taken; if none of them are set, a host-dependent default is used, typically /tmp. DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status is zero if and only if all operations were successful. Missing working files and RCS files are silently ignored. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.8.1; Release Date: 2012-06-06. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Thien-Thi Nguyen. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Paul Eggert. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsdiff(1), rcsmerge(1), rlog(1), rcsfile(5). Walter F. Tichy, RCS--A System for Version Control, Software--Practice & Experience 15, 7 (July 1985), 637-654. BUGS
At least one file must be given in older Unix versions that do not provide the needed directory scanning operations. GNU RCS 5.8.1 2012-06-06 RCSCLEAN(1)