Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do i check if all parameters are set in bash? Post 302981129 by Jesshelle David on Wednesday 7th of September 2016 02:02:06 PM
Old 09-07-2016
How do i check if all parameters are set in bash?

Hi,

I have 4 parameters passed to my shell and i validate if all four are entered using the following snippet:
Code:
if [ $# -ne 4 ]
then echo "Not entered" 
else echo "entered"
fi

I get the following output as 'Not entered even when i enter the values for all prompts.
Please advise.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Check if variable is set or blank

Hello guys. In my script, i have the following code: echo "The tarfile contains these directorys" tar -tf file.tar > tarlist.txt cat tarlist | awk -F/ '{print $1 "/" $2}' | nl echo "Enter path of the directory you want to extract or just press enter to extract everything: " read path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noratx
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk parameters check

Is there a way to preform check if the parameters that was send with the command awk -f `file_name.awk` `input_file` before even it gets to the BEGIN section (i have tested a try to check in the BEGIN it doesn't let ,you must make it on the section that after the BEGIN) and then decide if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tal
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parameters to check while differentiating two servers

Hi All, I have two solaris servers. Please tell me what all parameters i can check to find out the difference between two servers. how to differentiate based on H/W,S/W etc like i have two servers spdwa013 $ uname -an SunOS spdwa013 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usha rao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call single function multiple times diff set of parameters

Okay, not sure if it can be done, I would think it could be done and I'm just having a hard time with it. fun_close_wait(){ ipVar="${1} ${2}" portVar=`cat "${5}" | cut -d' ' -f 1` for ip in $ipVar do for port in $portVar do netstatVar=`netstat -n | grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check parameters

Hi, I have a script that takes two parameters. I would check the script to run if these parameters are to null or come with the correct data. If those parameters are to null, display a message, so if they come with two facts that are incorrect. As you might see that? Thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check that passed parameters all have the same extension?

$ ls monkey.txt banana.csv tree.txt $ myscript monkey.txt tree.txt All extensions ARE alike. $ myscript *txt All extensions ARE alike. $ myscript monkey.txt banana.csv All extensions are NOT alike. $ myscript * All extensions are NOT alike. My brain has given up; what's the simplest... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check on parameters

Hi I have a script that reads a directory name, and then prints all de items in that directory. Now that works, but I want to check on the parameters to be sure that the user has write just 1 parameter, and if not, than the script closes. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hss
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

check parameters

hi all, i write a script in ksh but i have a problem I want to check the number of parameters while ] do echo "Inserisci la macchina che vuoi restorare o scrivi fine per terminare lo script, puoi restorare" $a "client: " read CLIENT echo $CLIENT the variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FrancescoIt
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep final set of parameters from fit.log gnuplot file

I would like to grep the final set of fit parameters from a gnuplot log file to form columns that look like this. a_1001 b_1001 x_1001 a_1002 b_1002 x_1002 a_1003 b_1003 x_1003 . . . . . . . . . a_1250 b_1250 c_1250 At... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopt eval set parameters not happening when the script is called through an application!

Hi, There is an Informatica tool through which unix scripts can be called. Now the requirement in my project is that a parent script calls a child script but this parent script has to be called through the Informatica tool. In Parent script I'm using TEMP=`getopt -o x:y: -l area:,volume:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Panna
1 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change login password in Network Information System (NIS) SYNOPSIS
[name] Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality remains the same; only the name has changed. DESCRIPTION
changes or installs a password associated with the login name in the Network Information System (NIS). The NIS password can be different from the one on your own machine. If name is omitted, it defaults to the name returned by (see getlogin(3C)). prompts for the old NIS password (even if it does not exist), then twice for the new one. The old password must be entered correctly for the change to take effect. Checks occur to ensure that the new password meets the following construction requirements. o Only the first eight characters are significant. o A password can be as few as four characters long if it contains o at least one special character or o a mixture of numeric, uppercase and lowercase letters. o A password can be as few as five characters long if it contains a mixture of o uppercase and lowercase letters or o numeric and either uppercase or lowercase letters. o A password must contain at least six characters if it contains only monocase letters. All these rules except the first are relaxed if you try three times to enter an unacceptable new password. You cannot, however, enter a null password. Only the owner of the name or the superuser can change a password. The Network Information System password daemon, must be running on the master NIS password server to change NIS passwords. See yppass- wdd(1M). WARNINGS
The password update protocol passes the old and new passwords to the master NIS server at once. Thus, if the old NIS password is incor- rect, no notification is given until the new NIS password is successfully entered. The password construction rules are different from those of the HP-UX command (see passwd(1)). The root user's password cannot be changed using or Therefore, root users must change their password in the files database and then recon- struct the NIS maps using the command. For more information on how to use the command, see ypmake(1M). User applications that call this routine must be linked with For example, AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
id(1), passwd(1), su(1), yppasswdd(1M), getlogin(3C), yppasswd(3N), ypfiles(4). yppasswd(1)