Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Looping through input/output
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Looping through input/output Post 302979923 by Don Cragun on Sunday 21st of August 2016 04:21:08 PM
Old 08-21-2016
Hi bakunin,
Sorry to disagree with you here, but back in the early UNIX days on the PDP-11, the magic number determining the type of executable was 2 bytes (16-bits) not 4 bytes. And, when #! was added to the magic numbers recognized by the kernel, a leading space was not allowed. Since then, some kernels allow one or more leading spaces, some kernels allow a single option (e.g., #!/bin/sh -xv), and some kernels may even invoke a shell to evaluate the entire first line starting from the 3rd character as a shell command with the rest of the file as input (although I am not aware of any of these systems that are still produced today).

I believe that the PWB UNIX Systems I used when I was learning the OS treated:
Code:
#! /bin/sh

as a request to run the sh utility in the bin directory in the <space> directory, but I don't remember if it interpreted it as / /bin/sh or as ./ /bin/sh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Output from one command as input to another

This site has been very helpful thus far.. I thank you all in advance for sharing the knowledge. Let me get to it. I am trying to write a very small script to take away from the boredom of doing the same thing over and over. Everynow and again I have to get the hex value of a file using a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BkontheShell718
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

input/Output settings

How can we view all the input/output settings of unix environment for a session (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paritoshc
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

input -output file

Hi, I am having an Input file .which is having a list of names. comapring with our database , needs to write the out put in file called output.txt , format should be name--> country--->phone number could you please help me.. thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: looping through the output of a 'system' command

Hi there could anybody point me in the right direction when it comes to looping through the output of a system command in perl (i.e. df -k) doing a test against each line to see if it matches? for example if i have a df -k output like this and I wanted to grab the lines that matched "sda" or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

6. Solaris

SVM Solaris 8 Problem. Metastat output looping

Hi friends, I'm newbie to SVM. Just wanna try installed it on one of our server (to do mirroring for disk0 and disk1) but i think im lost until now. :( the steps i've taken is as below:- 1.prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 2.metadb -a -c 3 -f c1t0d0s7... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kronenose
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through for user input

Legends, I want to remain in the script until user passes the correct name. I had tried the below code; but it didn't work out. Please help echo "\nPlease enter the source system: \c" while read SYSTEM_NAME do if ]; then echo "\nMaking $SYSTEM_NAME as source system for particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping and saving output of each line separately

I have been trying this program for a long time. I am trying to read a file named "odon" line by line; read the first line, send it to do a command saved in a file "perm", once the first line has finished going through the content of the file perm, the result is saved with the number of the line.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: iconig
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping through the contents of array for output name

Hi all, I am trying to loop through the string contents of an array, to add it during the saving of the output files. I am trying this code to print each column and save it to unique file name, but it doesn't work. Thanks for any help. fnam=(japan usa uk) alldata.dat contained sample data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping over output of 'ls'

Hi, I have some output from 'ls' command and I want to loop over the output in a bash script. What would be a good way to go about it? For example, if the output of the ls command gives me 'prefix1 prefix2 prefix3', how can I set a loop that will iterate over these? many thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
5 Replies
GZEXE(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)