Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Looping and sed
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Looping and sed Post 302979749 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 18th of August 2016 01:03:08 PM
Old 08-18-2016
Yes indeed, if the number(ID) file is file3 with 6000 lines, this would mean (up to) 6000 input files.
However, the sample script in post#1 seems to take file1 as the number file...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with looping

Hi, Actually I have a file which consists data . for eg names. Then I want my sql query to read this file and produce the output. Currently I am using this FOR EG : FILENAME is NAMES for i in `cat NAMES` { sqlplus -s $CONNECTID << EOF spool rooh set heading off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping and awk/sed help

I am pretty new to this, but imagine what I am trying to do is possible iI am trying to make an automated DB comparison tool that selects all columns in all tables and compares them to the same thing in another DB. anyway I have created 2 files to help with this the first file is a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zelp
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping

Hi I have around 100 users in sun server and have default home directory in /usr/home/<username> I want to clean their home directory time to time to make free space on root, as users generate many output files during usage of application. My idea is, generate a file with following command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ishir
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping and using Sed

Hi guys I having som problem trying to use sed to get a file and insert inside another one. I'll try to explain better. I have a base.txt and using sed(having a array variables) I'm chaging some strings inside this file and saving as base1.txt. until here okay. Then, I have to get this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digobh
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for looping

I run into a issue when I try to do sorting of the following with ascending order, one round of for looping seems not working, anyone knows how to use shell or perl? $array = (5,0,3,2,7,9,8) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on looping using if/for or while

Hello, where can I get usefull information on the use of looping with for , if and while with extensive examples. Also use of variables in scripts (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam4now
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with looping

vesselNames values: xxx yyy zzz vesselPlanned values: xxx zzz zzz zzz OIFS="" OIFS=$IFS IFS="\n" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping

Hi, Now I have written a script which sorts the records in the file and splits them according to some condition. Now, I need to modify the script so that it reads all the files one after the other and does the sorting & splitting. Pls help me in reading all the files in a directory and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunitha_edi82
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed pattern space/looping conundrum

Although my sed skills are gradually developing, thanks in large part to this forum, I'm having a hard time dealing with pattern space and looping, which I suspect is what I'll need a better handle on to figure out my current issue, which is converting a multi line file like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping

Hey guys, so I am trying to do a loop script that will go through each folder (no gui so just each domain has a folder) and grab out the databases being used on that domain. I know I would use mysql -e "show databases where not 'information_schema';" once in each directory to pull the actual... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dough
3 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)