Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect Redirecting o/p to an Variable Post 302978090 by sudharson on Tuesday 26th of July 2016 07:24:27 AM
Old 07-26-2016
Thanks for the reply. Sorry i should have been more specific.

This is an expect script which internally calls another expect script to reset password on multiple servers by passing userid , oldpass , server name and newpassword.

Code:
#
!/dvlp/bin/expect
package require cgi

exec /dbase/mesa/bin/passwd_reset  $login "$oldpass"  server1 "$newpassword" > /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login 2>&1
                sleep 1
                exec  /dbase/mesa/bin/passwd_reset  $login "$oldpass" server2  "$newpassword" >> /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login 2>&1
                sleep 1
                exec  /dbase/mesa/bin/passwd_reset  $login "$oldpass" server3  "$newpassword" >> /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login 2>&1
                set out "grep -i 'password changed' /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login | wc -l"
               send_user "$out"

Below is the passwd_reset which gets called from the previous script

Code:
#!/usr/bin/expect -f

set username [lindex $argv 0]
set password [lindex $argv 1]
set serverid [lindex $argv 2]
set newpassword [lindex $argv 3]

spawn ssh -q -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no $username@$serverid
expect "assword:"
send "$password\r"
expect  ">"
send "passwd\r"
expect "Old Password:"
send "$password\r"
expect "New password:"
send "$newpassword\r"
expect "Retype new password:"
send "$newpassword\r"
expect "password changed."
send "exit"

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code (NOT icode!) tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 07-26-2016 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Changed ICODE tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem redirecting output of command to variable

Hi. I'm a newbie in scripting and i have this problem: i want to use the 'fuser' command on a file to tell if it's being accessed (for my purposes: still being written). I want to save the output of the command and later compare with the 'not being used' result. the script: #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nunovc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer variable to an expect function

Hi There, I try to transfer a variable from the script to a function which use expect, but I don't succed. #!/bin/sh HPPASS1="$2" send_command() { echo "spawn ssh login@10.10.10.10" echo 'set password ' echo 'sleep 1' echo 'expect "*assword:*"'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylvainkalache
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to expect

Please tell me how to pass variable "a b c" to expect from the shell script 1/ example of input file # cat in-file var1 var2 a b c var4 2/ # this is my script - how to pass "a b c" as single variable ? cat in-file | while read x do my-expect x done 3/ # expect script - how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: breaktime123
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output that was redirected to variable and console

Hi all, I would like to store the output of a command in a variable and output it to the console at the same time. This is working fine using the following construct var=`command | tee /dev/tty` I use this in some scripts to display the output of the command on the console and, at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning last line to variable in expect

As part of an expect script, I have to convert a strange user ID to a conventional UNIX ID. To do this, I read the contents of a file and do a little awk magic. Here's that bit of the expect script: send "awk 'NF == 10 && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info\r" expect... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting values from one variable to another in a loop.

The situation is like this: I am reading records from a file, depending upon some condition extracting fields from the file into different variables in a loop one by one. I need to print all the variable in line, so I am trying to redirect hose variables one by one to a variable called final_value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python get the expect value from a variable

the value of the variable is yes group=bsp_16 keyword="82599" test_var="-a xxx -b yyy" I want to get output with -a xxx -b yyy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting terminal to variable

when i do something like this: bona=$(echo hi2 > /dev/pts/1 ; printf '%s\n' "" | sed '/^$/d') i get: hi2 and the $bona variable is empty, when I run: echo ${bona} i get the result "hi2" outside of the variable. I want it stored in the bona variable with nothing outputted to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change login password in Network Information System (NIS) SYNOPSIS
[name] Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). The functionality remains the same; only the name has changed. DESCRIPTION
changes or installs a password associated with the login name in the Network Information System (NIS). The NIS password can be different from the one on your own machine. If name is omitted, it defaults to the name returned by (see getlogin(3C)). prompts for the old NIS password (even if it does not exist), then twice for the new one. The old password must be entered correctly for the change to take effect. Checks occur to ensure that the new password meets the following construction requirements. o Only the first eight characters are significant. o A password can be as few as four characters long if it contains o at least one special character or o a mixture of numeric, uppercase and lowercase letters. o A password can be as few as five characters long if it contains a mixture of o uppercase and lowercase letters or o numeric and either uppercase or lowercase letters. o A password must contain at least six characters if it contains only monocase letters. All these rules except the first are relaxed if you try three times to enter an unacceptable new password. You cannot, however, enter a null password. Only the owner of the name or the superuser can change a password. The Network Information System password daemon, must be running on the master NIS password server to change NIS passwords. See yppass- wdd(1M). WARNINGS
The password update protocol passes the old and new passwords to the master NIS server at once. Thus, if the old NIS password is incor- rect, no notification is given until the new NIS password is successfully entered. The password construction rules are different from those of the HP-UX command (see passwd(1)). The root user's password cannot be changed using or Therefore, root users must change their password in the files database and then recon- struct the NIS maps using the command. For more information on how to use the command, see ypmake(1M). User applications that call this routine must be linked with For example, AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
id(1), passwd(1), su(1), yppasswdd(1M), getlogin(3C), yppasswd(3N), ypfiles(4). yppasswd(1)