Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Expect Redirecting o/p to an Variable Post 302978078 by sudharson on Tuesday 26th of July 2016 04:31:32 AM
Old 07-26-2016
Expect Redirecting o/p to an Variable

I have a password reset expect script which stores all the op to an file. I need to check the whether password is successfully changed by greping out the file and storing the o/p to a variable.

But we try to print the variable , its shows only the command instead of its o/p.

Code:
                exec /dbase/mesa/bin/passwd_reset  $login "$oldpass"  server1 "$newpassword" > /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login 2>&1
                sleep 1
                exec  /dbase/mesa/bin/passwd_reset  $login "$oldpass" server2  "$newpassword" >> /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login 2>&1
                sleep 1
                exec  /dbase/mesa/bin/passwd_reset  $login "$oldpass" server3  "$newpassword" >> /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login 2>&1
                set out "grep -i 'password changed' /tmp/passwd_reset_out$login | wc -l"
               send_user "$out"

Last edited by RudiC; 07-26-2016 at 06:06 AM.. Reason: Changed ICODE to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem redirecting output of command to variable

Hi. I'm a newbie in scripting and i have this problem: i want to use the 'fuser' command on a file to tell if it's being accessed (for my purposes: still being written). I want to save the output of the command and later compare with the 'not being used' result. the script: #!/bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nunovc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer variable to an expect function

Hi There, I try to transfer a variable from the script to a function which use expect, but I don't succed. #!/bin/sh HPPASS1="$2" send_command() { echo "spawn ssh login@10.10.10.10" echo 'set password ' echo 'sleep 1' echo 'expect "*assword:*"'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylvainkalache
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to expect

Please tell me how to pass variable "a b c" to expect from the shell script 1/ example of input file # cat in-file var1 var2 a b c var4 2/ # this is my script - how to pass "a b c" as single variable ? cat in-file | while read x do my-expect x done 3/ # expect script - how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: breaktime123
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output that was redirected to variable and console

Hi all, I would like to store the output of a command in a variable and output it to the console at the same time. This is working fine using the following construct var=`command | tee /dev/tty` I use this in some scripts to display the output of the command on the console and, at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_man
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning last line to variable in expect

As part of an expect script, I have to convert a strange user ID to a conventional UNIX ID. To do this, I read the contents of a file and do a little awk magic. Here's that bit of the expect script: send "awk 'NF == 10 && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info\r" expect... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting values from one variable to another in a loop.

The situation is like this: I am reading records from a file, depending upon some condition extracting fields from the file into different variables in a loop one by one. I need to print all the variable in line, so I am trying to redirect hose variables one by one to a variable called final_value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python get the expect value from a variable

the value of the variable is yes group=bsp_16 keyword="82599" test_var="-a xxx -b yyy" I want to get output with -a xxx -b yyy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting terminal to variable

when i do something like this: bona=$(echo hi2 > /dev/pts/1 ; printf '%s\n' "" | sed '/^$/d') i get: hi2 and the $bona variable is empty, when I run: echo ${bona} i get the result "hi2" outside of the variable. I want it stored in the bona variable with nothing outputted to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
dxchpwd(1X)															       dxchpwd(1X)

NAME
dxchpwd - Create or change password program SYNOPSIS
dxchpwd dxchpwd -r | -l dxchpwd [-r | -l] -q dxchpwd [-r | -l] -u username OPTIONS
If dxchpwd is invoked without any options, it is assumed that the current user's password is to be changed. The following options are also accepted: Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a Local user. This can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd that the password change is to be done for a NIS user. This can only be done from a NIS master and can be combined with the -u and -q options. Tells dxchpwd to query the user for the user name of the account whose password is to be changed. Tells dxchpwd to change this user's password. DESCRIPTION
The dxchpwd command lets you change your password. When you invoke the dxchpwd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Your new password must meet the length requirements specified by the authorization database for the user whose password is being changed. If your system is running with enhanced security, you may have to choose a password from a list of randomly generated passwords or you may be prohibited from changing your password until its minimum lifetime has expired, as specified in the authorization database. EXAMPLES
The following example requests that the password be changed for user smith: dxchpwd -u smith FILES
Password file Protected Password Database dxchpwd executable SEE ALSO
X(1X), xdm(1X), passwd(1) dxchpwd(1X)