Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 swap device and filesystem Post 302977693 by javanoob on Thursday 21st of July 2016 07:50:34 AM
Old 07-21-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
Ensure that the 100GB is not mounted. Then it can be trashed, you can add it to swap.
(If it's a partition on a physical disk on Sparc, it might give an error - in this case you must change the "wm" flag to "wu" in "format"s partition menu, in order to declare it unmountable. It's a good habit anyway.)
With used swap I mean the utilized swap, (blocks - free) in swap -l
Hi MadeInGermany,

Yeap. I am using SPARC and i managed to add the UFS partition as swap. It did not prompt me any error (but i am not sure if it is because the swap is not used yet)

I have also change the partition flag from wm to wu.

Regards,
Noob

---------- Post updated at 06:50 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Well, if your 100Gb partition is empty, you can either create a swapfile in it, or trash the filesystem on it and use the partition as swap. The former method (swapfile) would be simpler to implement.

You should never configure a partition containing a file system as a raw swap device, especially if it is mounted at the same time. In any case, any actual paging operation will corrupt the file system.
Hi Jilliagre,

Thanks. Sorry for my poor english, but what do you mean by "trash the filesystem on it" ?
Do you mean to mount the 100GB partition as swap and ignore the fact of the UFS filesystem on it ?
(p.s. the 100GB is already umounted from its original mountpoint)

Regards,
Noob

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

device to filesystem?

On a HP-UX box, I can execute the sar command which will give me the device, %busy, etc. I would like to know how to take a given device name and determine on which filesystem it's located when I do a bdf. I've done some searching through the posts but so far have not had any luck in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimedwards
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Swap Device & Unix Disk Buffer

Does anyone know if when the Swap Device / Page file in unix is carrying out Page / Swap In's and Page / Swap outs, does it go through the Unix Disk Cache ( I am presuming raw partitions are not being used ) ? Therefore if there is paging activity on a system ( measured by sar -p, sar -g and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

translating device to filesystem in solaris10

Greetings, I have a oracle database server and i keep getting grid control message Metric=Disk Device Busy (%) Metric Value=98.66 Disk Device=ssd430 Severity=Critical Message=Disk Device ssd430 is 98.66% busy. so I am trying to correlate the ssd430 to the filesystem. I understand this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Force unmount of a SWAP filesystem left over from bad Live Upgrade

Hello, Long story short, we built an alternate boot env. back in July and applied the latest CPU to about 15 servers. Of the 15 servers, 7 servers failed to start the zones after the luactivate / reboot. The zones failed to rename from <zone>-<boot_env> back to <zone>. This is fixed in patch... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mainegeek
16 Replies
dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)					      System Manager's Manual					    dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)

NAME
dtc_setup_disk - setup LVM disks for using it as a VM SYNOPSIS
dtc_setup_vps_disk.sh VPS_NUMBER HDD_SIZE SWAP_SIZE [ lvm|loopback ] DESCRIPTION
dtc_setup_vps_disk.sh This shell script is a part of the dtc-xen package that is to be used by the dtc panel to manage a Xen VPS server. This script is used to create partitions to be used by a VPS later on. It will create a normal partition that will be used as a root disk, and a swap partition. dtc_setup_disk is to be used by the dtc-xen SOAP server, but can also be used as a standalone userland tool. If the partition(s) exists, then this script will delete it/them first. OPTIONS
VPS_NUMBER has to be a number between 01 and 19. Let's say the number is 16, and that dtc-xen is configured to use the volume group called lvm1, then this script will create /dev/lvm1/xen16 and /dev/lvm1/xen16swap. HDD_SIZE Size in MB of the VPS partition to create. SWAP_SIZE Size in MB of the VPS swap partition to create. If the dtc-xen SOAP server is used to create the VPS, then it will create a swap partition of the exact same size as the memory. IMAGE_TYPE This parameter can have 2 values: either lvm or loopback. If ommited, then lvm is used. If lvm is used, then this script will create a partition using lvmcreate, otherwise it will create an image file. Both will later be used for the VPS. EXAMPLE
dtc_setup_vps_disk 04 15360 256 lvm This will create 2 LVM partition to be used by the VPS named xen04, the first one being a root partition of 15 GB, and the second one being a swap partition of 256 MB. VERSION
This documentation describes dtc_setup_vps_disk version 0.3.15. See http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc-xen.html for updates. SEE ALSO
dtc_reinstall_os(8), dtc_kill_vps_disk(8) dtc_setup_vps_disks(8)