Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mail not working
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Mail not working Post 302976711 by cero on Monday 4th of July 2016 07:18:42 AM
Old 07-04-2016
Hi,
mailx is waiting for you to type the letter, thats why nothing happens after the command.
To finish a letter enter a single period (.) as only character in a line.
If you wish to send an empty letter redirection from /dev/null is a common technique I use, which should send the mail immediately without waiting for you to enter the mail text:
Code:
mailx -s "test" myname@mydomain.com </dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail services not working

Hello, all. We currently have three UNIX boxes run Reliant Unix, a System V Release 4 variant. Mail can't be sent out of one of the boxes to anywhere outside the box. For a client we use the mail command. I am not sure how to determine the message transfer daemon that is running. When... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: petrosi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command not working

hi all I am not able to send mail from unix box to my mail id. do i need to do any settings for that? when i issue this command:- mail -s "letter" <abc.txt the $ pompt goes away and the unix is on wait state. what should I do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent -Please help me 'mail' option not working

Hi , I have already posted a post regarding this, but i didn't get my problem solve, so some body help me as it was urgent for me, my mail option is not working, when i send a mail, it is strucking in /var/spool/mqueue folder. and i am getting struck there itself, i see below two files are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mars_girish9
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mail command not working

Hi I am trying to runmail command to send some text to my email id. But its getting hanged up. Not sure what is the problem. Please help. mail -s "testing" abc@somearess.com Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

5. AIX

Why is mail not working?

I've configured sendmail.cf file and sent a test. Failed. /var/adm/messages log file showed "Unknown Domain" error. Added my domain to the sendmail.cf file and error went away but I still don't receive messages. And now there's no errors in the log file to point to another issue. mailx -s "This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

6. BSD

Mail not working and probably never has

Hi hopefully I am in the right forum I am trying to get mail working on a 15 year old server which has probably never been configured to work before The server is on a network with TCP installed and the different servers on this network can all see each other with ping and rsh when I try... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DanJSC
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail function - script not working

#!/bin/bash { m() $mail='("$someemail@gmail.com ", Cc:"$me" -t, Subject:"$emailmyself" -s, $someinputfile")' } what I am trying to do is create a function have it load when type the letter "m" so all have to do type an address after it send email. it tell me syntax on line 4 but which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericde
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

mail not working with company id

Hi, I have a fresh new installation of red hat linux. I am trying to send an email from the "mail" utility from inside my Linux box to my company id "xxx@company.com". We are using microsoft exchange server online version to host our company's email. I am able to send emails to gmail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya33184
2 Replies

9. BSD

mail command is not working

Hi, Mail command is not working. mail -s "hello" abc@google.com < samplefile I am new to BSD.what do i need to do? Please help. Thnaks, Gita. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gita
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uuencode for mail attachments not working

Hi, I'm trying to send mail with attachments using uuencode, but it doesn't work. Command (also tried with mailx): uuencode testfile testfile | mail emailadress The email I get doesn't have an attachment, and has this in the message body: begin 664 testfile %=&5S=`H` ` end ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies
vacation(1)						      General Commands Manual						       vacation(1)

NAME
vacation - Informs senders of mail that recipient is absent SYNOPSIS
vacation -I The vacation command returns a message to the sender of a mail message, saying that the recipient is on vacation or otherwise absent. OPTIONS
Initializes the $HOME/.vacation.pag and $HOME/.vacation.dir files. Execute this option before you modify your $HOME/.forward file. DESCRIPTION
The vacation command accepts standard input and attempts to send a vacation message to the user specified in that input, which should be a mail message. The vacation command is usually invoked in your $HOME/.forward file, which is used to forward your mail to another username. When you want vacation messages to be sent to users who send you mail, enter the following in your $HOME/.forward file: user, "|vacation user" Replace user by your username. This allows mail sent to you to be both received by you and piped to the vacation command; vacation reads the mail message, determines the sender, and sends a reply. The sender receives a vacation message, and the original mail is waiting in your mailbox when you return. When vacation is invoked without the -I option, as in the file, it reads the first line from the standard input for a From line to deter- mine the sender. If this is not present, an error message is produced. (All properly formatted incoming mail should include a From line.) No vacation message is sent if the From header line indicates that the message is from Postmaster; from MAILER-DAEMON; if the initial From line includes the string -REQUEST@; or if a Precedence: bulk or Precedence: junk line is included in the header. You must initialize vacation for your username by issuing the command vacation -I before you can use the vacation command. The vacation command expects a $HOME/.vacation.msg file containing a message to be sent back to each sender. The file should be an entire message, including any desired headers, such as From or Subject. This message will be sent only once a week to each unique message sender. (If this file does not exist, vacation uses /usr/share/lib/vacation.def, a system-wide default vacation message, if it exists.) The names of people who have sent you messages are kept in the files $HOME/.vacation.pag and $HOME/.vacation.dir. These files are created when you initialize vacation for your username with vacation -I. EXAMPLES
If your username is myra and you want to send a message once a week to each person who has sent you mail, initialize vacation by entering: vacation -I Next, add the following line to your $HOME/.forward file (create this file if it does not exist): myra, "|vacation myra" If you want to send a vacation message other than the system default message in /usr/share/lib/vacation.def, create the file in your home directory and enter the message in it. For example: From: myra@k.table (Myra Louise Minter) Subject: I am on vacation. Delivered-By-the-Graces-Of: the Vacation program I am on vacation until October 1. If you have something urgent, please telephone Lucy or Sue. -- Myra FILES
System-wide default vacation message. Contains address to which mail is forwarded. Contains the names of people who have sent you mail while the vacation command was being used. Contains the names of people who have sent you mail while the vacation command was being used. Contains your personal vacation message. SEE ALSO
Commands: mail(1), mailx(1), sendmail(8) vacation(1)