Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compare 2 Strings
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare 2 Strings Post 302976680 by aderamos12 on Sunday 3rd of July 2016 10:37:51 PM
Old 07-03-2016
Compare 2 Strings

I have 2 values V_1_4_4_b1 and V_1_5_1_RC_b1. I would need to compare them and determine if the 1st value is greater, less or equal
than the 2nd value. The result should need to have a return value.
I have below code in bash function but it seems it is not comparing it correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Code:
 checkversion ()
{
  local mod="$1"
  local vers="$2"
  local slink="/app/mes_dwh/$mod/${mod}"
  local target1="$(readlink "$slink" | cut -d 'V' -f2)"
  local addstring="V"
  local target="$addstring$target1"
   case "$target" in
        V_[0-9]_[0-9]_[0-9]_RC_b* | \
        V_[0-9]_[0-9]_[0-9]_b* ) ;;
        *) fail "bad version string: '$target'";;
  esac

#compare major version
  local old="$( echo "$target" | cut -d_ -f2 )"
  local new="$( echo "$vers" | cut -d_ -f2 )"
  test "$old" -gt "$new" && return 77
   #compare middle version
  old="$( echo "$target" | cut -d_ -f3 )"
  new="$( echo "$vers" | cut -d_ -f3 )"
   #compare minor version
  old="$( echo "$target" | cut -d_ -f4 )"
  new="$( echo "$vers" | cut -d_ -f4 )"
   #compare build version
  old="$( echo "$target" | cut -d_ -f5 )"
  new="$( echo "$vers" | cut -d_ -f5 )" 

case "${old}_${new}" in
  b*_RC) return 77;;
  b*_b*)
     #compare build level of final version (with 'b' stripped off
     old="${old#b}"
     new="${new#b}"
     test "$old" -gt "$new"  && return 77
     ;;
  RC_RC)
     #compare level of RC version (with the 'b' stripped off)
    old="$( echo "$target" | cut -d_ -f6 | cut -c2- )"
    new="$(echo "$vers" | cut -d_ -f6 | cut -c2-)"
    ;;
  RC_b*) return 0;;
  *) fail "unrecognized pattern";;
  esac

return 0
 }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compare two strings

hi all, i am new to unix. Actually i need to compare two string and print the result... suppose type='sun' if; then echo good morning else echo good night fi whether the comparison is right r we need to use eq???? help me please.... :confused: thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings

Hi all, I am trying to compare two strings/dates, but its throwing error::Syntax error at line 5: Please help !! Any alternate way to compare two dates is also fine.... logdate1=`date -u '+%Y.%m.%d %T'` sleep 5 logdate2=`date -u '+%Y.%m.%d %T'` if test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant43
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings using if

Hi, Here is my script #!/bin/ksh echo $pick_typ if ];then echo "inside if" else echo "outside if" fi when ever i pass CUS as parameter to this script am getting the correct value CUS, however if i pass ORD as parameter it is not coming inside if it is echoing else "Outside... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare text strings.

Hi Im trying to write a script that compare a text string. But it fails, I think it adds a extra line feed to the result and fails beacuse of that. The script. DT=`date +'%Y%m%d%H%M%S'` #ALARM_BIN=/users/alarms/ssa/alarms/bin QUEUE_THR=10 #unset offset #offset="***Server reports data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vettec3
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare 2 Strings ?

Hello , I want to Compare with 2 strings and get if they are True or not please would like some help on this #!bin/ksh echo "Enter Name 1" read Name1 echo "Enter Name 2" read Name2 echo "------------------------" echo "First Name: $Name1" echo "Second Name: $Name2" echo... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: shatztal
25 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two strings

hi.. i have a problem to compare two string my code is like that if ] then echo "both data are correct" elif ] echo "data is wrong" fi here $username1 is taking value from file.. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhig15
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare two strings in a file

hello guyzz please help me out.. I have two file a.sh and b.sh it contains two string SD109 ,SD108 . I want to compaere these two string . If a.sh>b.sh do rebasing record time. else it shows no rebasing required. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijtr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare strings with space in if statement

DEV> vi test_if_statement.sh "test_if_statement.sh" 9 lines, 205 characters proc_out="Normal completion" proc_out_comp="Normal completion" echo 'proc_out:'$proc_out echo 'proc_out_comp:'$proc_out_comp if then echo 'match' else echo 'no_match' fi ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cartrider
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If statement to compare two strings

Hi, I am trying to do the following to see if "ip" is already present in a file. if ; then echo "hi" else echo "hello" fi I am seeing errors on the if statement. Can someone please correct the syntax for me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waince
2 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Compare 2 strings

I think there is a way to detect mouse movement. valuator changes if the mouse moves. So I need to compare the two strings. Not sure how to do that. How could I send the valuator string to a file ? I would need to do it twice. andy@7_~/Downloads$ xinput query-state 9 2 classes :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
setjmp(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 setjmp(3)

Name
       setjmp, longjmp - non-local goto

Syntax
       #include <setjmp.h>

int setjmp (env)
       jmp_buf env;

void longjmp (env, val)
       jmp_buf env;
       int val;

Description
       The and functions help deal with errors and interrupts encountered in a low-level subroutine of a program.

The function saves its stack environment in env (whose type, jmp_buf, is defined in the <setjmp.h> header file) for later use by It returns
       the value 0.

The function restores the environment saved by the last call of with the corresponding env argument.   After  finishes,	program  execution
       continues  as if the corresponding call of (which must not itself have returned in the interim) had just returned the value val.  The func-
       tion cannot cause to return the value 0.  If is invoked with a second argument of 0, returns 1.	At the time of the second return from  all
       accessible  data  have  values as of the time is called.  However, global variables have the expected values.  For example, those as of the
       time of the

Examples
       #include <setjmp.h>

jmp_buf env;
       int i = 0;
       main ()
       {
	    void exit();

if(setjmp(env) != 0) {
		 (void) printf("value of i on 2nd return from setjmp: %d0, i);
		 exit(0);
	    }
	    (void) printf("value of i on 1st return from setjmp: %d0, i);
	    i = 1;
	    g();
	    /*NOTREACHED*/
       }

g()
       {
	    longjmp(env, 1);
	    /*NOTREACHED*/
       }

If the a.out resulting from this C language code is run, the output is as follows:
       value of i on 1st return from setjmp:0

value of i on 2nd return from setjmp:1
       Unexpected behavior occurs if is called without a previous call to or when the last such call was in a function which has since returned.

Restrictions
       The values of the registers on the second return from are register values at the time of the first call to not those of the Thus, variables
       in a given function can produce unexpected results in the presence of depending on whether they are register or stack variables.

See Also
       signal(2).

RISC								 setjmp(3)