Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to find out the maximum cumulative value? Post 302976387 by yuejian on Wednesday 29th of June 2016 02:53:24 AM
Old 06-29-2016
This is not homework or assignment. I am doing some accounting work (many transaction) to report the highest balance on the banking account and the bank statement didn't provide the cumulative balance number to me, so I have to figure out a way to find it.
The reason I didn't count the first row because the adding work doesn't start. I don't do code work so I posted a help on this forum probably I posted the wrong place. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Is this a homework assignment? Homework and coursework questions can only be posted in the homework and coursework forum with a completely filled out questionnaire from the homework rules.

If this is homework, please refile in the proper forum with a completely filled out template. If it is not homework, please explain what the purpose is for this problem.

And why do you think the maximum cumulative value is 3 when the accumulated value after reading the first line is 4?

What code have you tried to solve this problem?

What shell and operating system are you using?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the maximum # of PIDs

Is there a command in HP Unix which can be used inside a K shell to find out the maximum number of processes (PIDs) a pc can generate? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Steve (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find out the maximum growing file in a mount

I need to find the file that is growing in the mount. Say yesterday the utilised space was 95% but today that is 96%. How do i find the file that is growing in size. Have checked the same with du/df options but was not able to find much. Please suggest the best possible option. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO find the word which occurs maximum number of times

Hi Folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Requirement is............. i have a input file: 501,501.chan 502,502.anand 503,503.biji 504,504.raja 505,505.chan 506,506.anand 507,507.chan and my o/p should be chan->3 i.e. the word which occurs maximum number of times in a file should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help me to find out maximum value of a field based on grouping of other fields.

Please help me to find out maximum value of a field based on grouping of other fields, as we do in SQL. Like in SQL if we are having below records : Client_Name Associate_Name Date1 Value C1111 A1111 2012-01-17 10 C1111 A1111 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KamalKumarKalra
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find the Maximum value and average of a column

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to complete a script which will allow me to find: a) reads a value from the keyboard. (ask the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstewie
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the maximum of a value

0.01 0.6 0.39 0.4 0.3 0.3 1 0 0 0 0 1 I would like to print 2 if the maximum of a row is the first column I would like to print 1 if the maximum of a row is the second colum print 0 if it is the third. so in this case, 0.6 is the max of the first row so i would want to print 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to find and use the maximum value in column of data

Dear Unix Gurus, I have a text file with multiple columns, for example, see sample.txt below 0 1 301 1 4 250 2 6 140 3 2 610 7 1 180I want to find the maximum in, say, column 3, normalise all the values to this maximum value (to 4 decimal places) and spit everything into a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the maximum value and take value from the neigbouring cells

Let say I have this table A B 0.30 C D 0.60 E F 0.80 G H 0.11 I J 0.10 K L 0.23 M N 0.50 O P 0.01 I need to find the maximum value in each row and output the highest value plus the information two columns back. For example: the output should look like this E F 0.80 M N 0.50 Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seiksoon
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find minimum and maximum values based on column with associative array

Hello, I need to find out the minimum and maximum values based on specific column, and then print out the entire row with the max value. Infile.txt: scf6 290173 290416 . + X_047241 T_00113118-1 scf6 290491 290957 . + X_047241 T_00113118-2 scf6 290898 290957 . + X_047241 T_00113119-3 scf6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find maximum and minimum from column and store in other column

Need your support for below. Please help to get required output If column 5 is INV then only consider column1 and take out duplicates/identical rows/values from column1 and then put minimum value of column6 in column7 and put maximum value in column 8 and then need to do subtract values of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
7 Replies
HISTO(1)						      General Commands Manual							  HISTO(1)

NAME
histo - compute 1-dimensional histogram of N data columns SYNOPSIS
histo [-c][-p] xmin xmax nbins histo [-c][-p] imin imax DESCRIPTION
Histo bins columnular data on the standard input between the given minimum and maximum values. If three command line arguments are given, the third is taken as the number of data bins between the first two real numbers. If only two arguments are given, they are both assumed to be integers, and the number of data bins will be equal to their difference plus one. The bins are always of equal size. The output is N+1 columns of data (for N columns input), where the first column is the centroid of each division, and each row corresponds to the frequencies for each column around that value. If the -c option is present, then histo computes the cumulative histogram for each column instead of the straight frequencies. The upper value of each bin is printed also instead of the centroid. This may be useful in computing percentiles, for example. Values below the minimum specified are still counted in the cumulative total. The -p option tells histo to report the percentage of the total number of input lines rather than the absolute counts. In the case of a cumulative total, this yields the percentile values directly. Values above the maximum are counted as well as values below in this case. All input data is interpreted as real values, and columns must be white-space separated. If any value is less than the minimum or greater than the maximum, it will be ignored unless the -c option is specified. EXAMPLE
To count data values between -1 and 1 in 50 bins: histo -1 1 50 < input.dat To count frequencies of integers between 0 and 255: histo 0 255 < input.dat AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1), total(1) RADIANCE
9/6/96 HISTO(1)