Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Structure of find command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Structure of find command Post 302976309 by Don Cragun on Monday 27th of June 2016 09:25:54 PM
Old 06-27-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshck
Very helpful.
I am using RHEL 6.2 which doesn't provide the man page for find. The --help also doesn't give info in much details. Once again, many thanks.
I don't know of any Linux system that doesn't provide man pages. But, on many systems, loading those man pages is an installation option. If the system administrator who installed your system chose not to load man pages and there are people (like you) using that system to do any programming, ask your sys admin to load the man pages for you.

If all else fails, you can find the Linux 2.6 find man page in the UNIX & Linux forum Man Pages section as well as manual pages for several other systems.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why cant i find my ftp directories in the unix structure

Hi, I'm new here so hello to everyone...i'm also new to linux/unix but got my first dedicated server about 2 weeks ago and have been using ssh to configure it on ubuntu linux. I have a question about something i can't work out....if i use ftp to transfer files ( php, html, javascript files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

5. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop unix find on a directory structure after finding 1st occurrence

Hi, Has anyone tried to restrict Solaris 10 unix find on a large directory structure based on time to stop running after finding the first occurrence of a matching query. Basically I'm trying to build up a usage map of user workspaces based on file modification (week/month/3 months/year etc) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm0221
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run a command on all txt files present in a dir structure

Hi, I have a directory structure like the one given below root\a\b1 root\a\b2 root\b\b1 root\b\b2 . . . root\j\b1 root\j\b2 Now, there are a txt files in each dir and subdir, there is a root.txt I have to write a script where in i have to run a command called "genrb <filename>"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikramsinghnegi
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a tree structure in software modules

I have a list of software funtions in tcl code. Some of these functions call other functions. I want to build a tree structure of all called functions. Right now I list all the functions into a file then read this file so that I can cat each function and grep for EXECUTE (command that calls... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find size, cp breaks directory structure

I'm using this now: find /some/path/with/sourcefiles -type f -size -7M -exec /bin/cp -uv {} /some/path/ \; but it doesn't preserve the directory structure, also I've tried it with find /some/path/with/sourcefiles -type f -size -7M -exec /usr/bin/rsync -auv {} /some/path/ \; but that doesn't... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find mv and create directory structure

Hi there, I'm trying to pull all my flacs out of my Music collection. I can do it with following command find b/ -name *.flac -exec mv {} flac/ \; which works great except it moves all the flac files to the flac folder. I want it to recreate the original folder the flacs were found in and mv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fistikuffs
8 Replies
find(n) 							    [incr Tcl]								   find(n)

NAME
find - search for classes and objects SYNOPSIS
find option ?arg arg ...? DESCRIPTION
The find command is used to find classes and objects that are available in the current interpreter. Classes and objects are reported first in the active namespace, then in all other namespaces in the interpreter. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: find classes ?pattern? Returns a list of [incr Tcl] classes. Classes in the current namespace are listed first, followed by classes in all other names- paces in the interpreter. If the optional pattern is specified, then the reported names are compared using the rules of the "string match" command, and only matching names are reported. If a class resides in the current namespace context, this command reports its simple name--without any qualifiers. However, if the pattern contains :: qualifiers, or if the class resides in another context, this command reports its fully-qualified name. There- fore, you can use the following command to obtain a list where all names are fully-qualified: find classes ::* find objects ?pattern? ?-class className? ?-isa className? Returns a list of [incr Tcl] objects. Objects in the current namespace are listed first, followed by objects in all other names- paces in the interpreter. If the optional pattern is specified, then the reported names are compared using the rules of the "string match" command, and only matching names are reported. If the optional "-class" parameter is specified, this list is restricted to objects whose most-specific class is className. If the optional "-isa" parameter is specified, this list is further restricted to objects having the given className anywhere in their heritage. If an object resides in the current namespace context, this command reports its simple name--without any qualifiers. However, if the pattern contains :: qualifiers, or if the object resides in another context, this command reports its fully-qualified name. Therefore, you can use the following command to obtain a list where all names are fully-qualified: find objects ::* KEYWORDS
class, object, search, import itcl 3.0 find(n)