Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Structure of find command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Structure of find command Post 302976202 by Don Cragun on Saturday 25th of June 2016 09:35:42 PM
Old 06-25-2016
If you want to find out how the find command works, the obvious way to do so is to look at the find man page on your system:
Code:
man find

not search web pages for a matching example.

The command:
Code:
find . -name 'secret' -prune -o -print

searches for files in the file hierarchy rooted in the current working directory (.). The -o -print causes any pathnames that have been selected by prior criteria to be printed with one pathname per line. The prior criteria in this case (-name 'secret' -prune), says that if any file found while waking the file hierarchy is named secret and is of type directory, do not list that directory nor any files in the file hierarchy rooted in that directory. All other files that have not been skipped by the selection criteria will be listed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command find returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long

Hello, I create a file touch 1201093003 fichcomp and inside a repertory (which hava a lot of files) I want to list all files created before this file : find *.* \! -maxdepth 1 - newer fichcomp but this command returned bash: /usr/bin/find: Argument list too long but i make a filter all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yacsil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why cant i find my ftp directories in the unix structure

Hi, I'm new here so hello to everyone...i'm also new to linux/unix but got my first dedicated server about 2 weeks ago and have been using ssh to configure it on ubuntu linux. I have a question about something i can't work out....if i use ftp to transfer files ( php, html, javascript files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elduderino
2 Replies

5. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop unix find on a directory structure after finding 1st occurrence

Hi, Has anyone tried to restrict Solaris 10 unix find on a large directory structure based on time to stop running after finding the first occurrence of a matching query. Basically I'm trying to build up a usage map of user workspaces based on file modification (week/month/3 months/year etc) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jm0221
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run a command on all txt files present in a dir structure

Hi, I have a directory structure like the one given below root\a\b1 root\a\b2 root\b\b1 root\b\b2 . . . root\j\b1 root\j\b2 Now, there are a txt files in each dir and subdir, there is a root.txt I have to write a script where in i have to run a command called "genrb <filename>"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikramsinghnegi
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a tree structure in software modules

I have a list of software funtions in tcl code. Some of these functions call other functions. I want to build a tree structure of all called functions. Right now I list all the functions into a file then read this file so that I can cat each function and grep for EXECUTE (command that calls... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find size, cp breaks directory structure

I'm using this now: find /some/path/with/sourcefiles -type f -size -7M -exec /bin/cp -uv {} /some/path/ \; but it doesn't preserve the directory structure, also I've tried it with find /some/path/with/sourcefiles -type f -size -7M -exec /usr/bin/rsync -auv {} /some/path/ \; but that doesn't... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find mv and create directory structure

Hi there, I'm trying to pull all my flacs out of my Music collection. I can do it with following command find b/ -name *.flac -exec mv {} flac/ \; which works great except it moves all the flac files to the flac folder. I want it to recreate the original folder the flacs were found in and mv... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fistikuffs
8 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)